Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Gear Knob Wiring

badwolf

I wanted to fit that overpriced gear knob to my new fiesta now once I got over the eye watering price (it still stings) started looking around on the web for postings on how easy/difficult it was going to be to fit.There is not a right lot of info..A lot of people seem to have wired it up so it is always on !!!!!!

Now the knob duly arrived with the less than helpfull instructions.the first thing you read is not for DIY fitting. The fitting of the knob is pretty straight forward .Rip panel out here .Take large hammer to.... run round garden 3 times (clockwise) u get the idea.

The point and there is 1 is the wiring in the instructions it says to splice in to pin 20 Green wire to connect the knob. DONT its wrong ask me how I know. Also the earhing point is over the hills and far away from the knob (well 45cm )

The way I have done it ..

1/ followed the fitting instructions up to the wiring bit.

2/ used one of the 10mm nuts that hold the gear leaver assembly in place to the floor as the earthing point .You can get to it with a socket and extension

3/ after a lot of mucking about wired it to the pin bottom left (pin1) white wire on the same plug as the instructions say. you get to this by poping out the foot panel under the glove box then grovelling in footwell (im married so have had loads of practice)

This pin /wire is the feed to the red leds that light up the pasenger side .The destructions also say disconect the battery I

didnt as disconecting this plug kills all power in the circuit so easy to work on.

Now the knob only lights up when the lights are on and when you get in and out of the motor

Hope this helps .Usual disclamer proceed at your own peril if you maim yourself dont come winging to me .This worked for me and looks way good but the price is way ott.

• Like 1

i read that you can also wire it up to the stereo/headunit connections. orange/white for illumination (when lights are on) and the thick black for earth.

maybe extension of the wires are in order to reach.

but nice mini-guide anyways.

can you take any pics to show what it looks like....also is it the 5 or 6 speed knob?

I have the 5 speed illuminated knob retrofitted. I watched my Dad install it though, didn't watch where he eathered it to or what wires he cut.

The instructions for the illuminated gear knob are terrible. The "GEM" which it tells you to plug it into does exist but it is in a totally different location to what it says on the instructions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK just fitted this now, the best place to wire the live feed is pin 16 (green /yellow wire) at the back of the head unit. This way its on in ACC and engine running / lights on or off. Remove key and its off. If you wire as per the instructions its on all the time 24/7. Richie.

Thank god I opted for the interior pack 2 lol, seems like so much effort

• 3 months later...

What about off the 12v poer point next to the USB. I that not a switch live?

I believe thats live 24/7 mate.....

Perm live that is.

Wire it to side lights is gonna be easiest option.

Back to my original plan then.

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if the titanium x comes with the illuminated gear stick?

Does anybody know if the titanium x comes with the illuminated gear stick?

It's not as standard, you have to have the Interior Pack 2 to get the illuminated gear knob as well as illuminated sills

• 1 year later...

It wires into the radio illumination circuit.

I have the instructions somewhere.

I'll scan them off for you later.

The guide I have is for the MK6/6.5 Fiesta so is different to what you need but I'll try to extrapolate a solution for you.

Most Ford illuminated knobs have two colours- green and red.

Depending on which colour you want is decided by which live wire you attach.

The colour wire goes to the radio illumination wire on the radio connector and the black earth goes to the earth wire to the radio.

This way when the headlights go on (side lights or main/dipped) the knob will also illuminate.

Ford's way of attaching the wires is to strip back the insulation on the radio wires and twist the knob wires around the bare copper cores and tape into position.