Do Not Sell My Personal Information

59 Plate Zetec S - Brake Master Cylinder Failure

GT_Racer

Hi all,

Not posted much on here of late but only last week was I going to sit down a write an honest review now I've passed the milestone of 65,000 miles covered in my 59 plate ZS diesel.

In essence the car has been superb, nothing, and I mean nothing gives me call to grumble about my car, not a single item has failed or anything gone wrong since new.

Until 2 years to the *very* day it was delivered to me with just 3 miles on the clock back in 2009!

I reversed off my drive last week as normal, and got the audible chimes to flag something was wrong.

Brake fluid level low, service now read the message in the centre display.

"That's odd it's only 5-6 weeks since it's 62,500 mile service" I thought.

I continued up to Leicester and it flashed and chimed twice more.

Not wishing to take chances I swung by Evans Halshall Ford in Leicester, and must admit I did wonder if there was some incompetence on their part at this stage.

The Ford technician informed me that as part of the 62.5k service the brake fluid is changed rather than topped up.

He checked the fluid level, it was low, very low.

Somewhat puzzled he got it up on the ramp pronto.

Ten minutes later I was advised in a nutshell that the Brake Master Cylinder had !Removed! itself and a lot of brake fluid had been lost. "The car isn't fit to be driven".

I guess I was surprised as this is the very first thing to go wrong, I've had an easy ride compared to some it seems.

Two years for a brake master cylinder to fail seems odd, I thought these components were designed to out last the car?

Thank goodness for the chimes highlighting a problem, I was relived in a sense that I didn't just carried on carefree!

I keep an eye on the forum but confess to not having seen this issue flagged before on the mk7 Fiesta - Unless I'm wrong?

Rowland - Zetec S'less for now...

Hi Rowland

Earlier this year I had reason to use my brakes quite heavily going down a rather long 1 in 6 at 4.30am across Bodmin Moor. When I arrived at the bottom of the hill approaching a 90 deg R/Hand bend I found half way around the narrow bend in my path was a dozy fox. I swerved to avoid it, the pedal hit the floor I didn't make the bend, hit the bank and rolled the car. Fortunately my speed wad realatively low I would think less than 20mph.

First thoughts were I was half asleep and didn't see the fox although I knew I'd hit it as later we found it dead in somebodys garden. After being recovered to the garage, I explained what happened and they later confirmed that the master cylinder had failed. The car was off the road for 9 weeks with only 50k miles on. Needless to say my insurance company are busily pursing compensation.

Hi Rowland

Earlier this year I had reason to use my brakes quite heavily going down a rather long 1 in 6 at 4.30am across Bodmin Moor. When I arrived at the bottom of the hill approaching a 90 deg R/Hand bend I found half way around the narrow bend in my path was a dozy fox. I swerved to avoid it, the pedal hit the floor I didn't make the bend, hit the bank and rolled the car. Fortunately my speed wad realatively low I would think less than 20mph.

First thoughts were I was half asleep and didn't see the fox although I knew I'd hit it as later we found it dead in somebodys garden. After being recovered to the garage, I explained what happened and they later confirmed that the master cylinder had failed. The car was off the road for 9 weeks with only 50k miles on. Needless to say my insurance company are busily pursing compensation.

Man that sucks.

I know that feeling all too well when the middle pedal goes long and the resistance you expect isn't there as you approach a corner.

Heart in your mouth stuff.

:o

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club