Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Wheels

freeman3030

Hi,

My fiesta is due for an MOT and I know I'm going to need a couple of new tyres. A while ago I went to the garage as I could feel a wobble through the steering, did some research while they were checking my fiesta out and unfortunately for me 3 of my 4 allows have buckled. At the time, I couldn't justify spending £600 on 3 new ford alloys for potentially the same thing to happen again. So as my car is due for an mot knowing it will fail due to needing new tyres, i thought about buying a new set of alloys and tyres like the ones you find at Halfords or an online store. But I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I have a 2008 (58) fiesta titanium 1.4. I think they're 16" standard alloys. As I want to change the wheels I would like to get 17" wheels, but don't know what sort of effect that's going to have on my speed, will I have to get the speedometer adjusted?

The only thing I know, is by going bigger, I could get thinner tyres to compensate for it. It there a number on the tyre that tells me the circumference? To so confusing! If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

If you want 17" wheels, you need 205/40/R17. This will keep the speedo in check without any changes.

Perfect thank you, does the width of the wheel matter? I'm not of the width of my current wheels, but i'm sure the one's i've been looking at are 7.0, they wouldn't rub would they?

I'll let someone else advise on the technical aspect but do not buy alloys & tyres from Halfrauds - monkey metal wheels combined with Linglong ditchfinders is not a good combo! Plus they look naff too :P

Hi,

My fiesta is due for an MOT and I know I'm going to need a couple of new tyres. A while ago I went to the garage as I could feel a wobble through the steering, did some research while they were checking my fiesta out and unfortunately for me 3 of my 4 allows have buckled. At the time, I couldn't justify spending £600 on 3 new ford alloys for potentially the same thing to happen again. So as my car is due for an mot knowing it will fail due to needing new tyres, i thought about buying a new set of alloys and tyres like the ones you find at halfords or an online store. But I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I have a 2008 (58) fiesta titanium 1.4. I think they're 16" standard alloys. As I want to change the wheels I would like to get 17" wheels, but don't know what sort of effect that's going to have on my speed, will I have to get the speedometer adjusted?

The only thing I know, is by going bigger, I could get thinner tyres to compensate for it. It there a number on the tyre that tells me the circumference? To so confusing! If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Try this site: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

Put in the current tyre/wheel size and the ones you're thinking of getting and it'll tell you the difference in size and effect on your speedo reading. It'll warn you if the tyres are more than 3% different. The page tells you the rim widths you need for that tyre. The 17" alloys on mine are 7" wide, and I think there's a steering rack limiter installed when a Fiesta is supplied with these wheels due to the width. If you get after market tyres they need to have the right number and spacing of holes for the bolts (4x108mm) and have the correct offset (41.5 for 6.5" wide 16" and 47.5 for 7" wide 17") (distance from the centre line of the wheel to the mount), though you can buy spacer rings to fix this.

Also the owner manual and the sticker on the passenger door surround give you the tyres and pressures. If you pick one from this list, you'll be fine. As another poster pointed out, for 17" the tyres need to be 205x40.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club