Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Get Winter Tyres For My Fiesta Econetic?

Robin1

I am considering getting winter tyres on a second set of steel wheels at the moment for the increased safety benefits.

Basically they offer better grip when the temperature is below 7 degrees, and roughly 3x as much grip on the rare occasion it snows. For example in a test I read they stopped in the wet at 2 degrees in about 10% shorter distance than summer tyres (4 metres).

However, a set would cost about £400, compared to £230 for summer tyres. I do about 8000 miles a year so the 2 sets would last me maybe 5 years, switching wheels each autumn and spring myself. So the cost would be about £35 a year plus the time it takes me to change them.

I can store them in the shed. I have steel wheels anyway so can just move my hub caps and they will look exactly the same.

On the other hand, I live near Southampton so the winters are not quite as cold as further north, and could just take the day off work if im not able to use the car (no kids to get to school or anything) Sometimes I have to travel to various places in Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire for work. A day's holiday would only cost £65 if i had to take one. It's a small front wheel drive car and these tend to be better in the snow, although it is a 1.6 diesel so there is a reasonable amount of torque.

However, I only have 1 year's driving experience and my insurance excess is £300.

On balance for £35 a year, would you get them or just take the risk? (I understand it's a matter of opinion but would be interested to read everyone else's opinion)

Thanks!

For example in a test I read they stopped in the wet at 2 degrees in about 10% shorter distance than summer tyres (4 metres).

Remember these figures are given under test conditions and not your average driver who travels to fast for the road conditions

However, a set would cost about £400, compared to £230 for summer tyres. I do about 8000 miles a year so the 2 sets would last me maybe 5 years, switching wheels each autumn and spring myself. So the cost would be about £35 a year plus the time it takes me to change them.

I can store them in the shed. I have steel wheels anyway so can just move my hub caps and they will look exactly the same.

Wheels/tyres stored for months are liable to deteriorate and I wouldn't trust my life on wheels stored away for months on end year after year.

On the other hand, I live near Southampton so the winters are not quite as cold as further north, and could just take the day off work if im not able to use the car. A day's holiday would only cost £65

However, I only have 1 year's driving experience and my insurance excess is £300.

A day off would work out a lot cheaper than risking running around and being involved in an accident (your fault or others) which would increase your insurance premiums and may keep your car and you ‘off road’ for more than a few days.

In all honesty I have been driving for years in all sorts of bad weather in various vehicles (including 4x4's) and have never felt the need to buy a set of winter tyres. Driving in bad weather is more about you and your skills, knowing the vehicle and knowing when it’s best to leave it in the garage.

Wheels/tyres stored for months are liable to deteriorate and I wouldn't trust my life on wheels stored away for months on end year after year.

A day off would work out a lot cheaper than risking running around and being involved in an accident (your fault or others) which would increase your insurance premiums and may keep your car and you ‘off road’ for more than a few days.

In all honesty I have been driving for years in all sorts of bad weather in various vehicles (including 4x4's) and have never felt the need to buy a set of winter tyres. Driving in bad weather is more about you and your skills, knowing the vehicle and knowing when it’s best to leave it in the garage.

I don't see why they would deteriorate as they will be dry and out of direct sunlight, similar to the spare I already have stored in my car. I've read to store them stacked on their sides rather than stood up. It's normal in many European countries to switch your tyres for summer and winter e.g. in Germany. Surely the ones on the car, which are exposed to the elements and have 300kg of weight resting on them are the ones that will deteriorate.

And it's not just the snow days or bad weather they will be safer but anytime the temperature is below 7 degrees, which is most mornings for about 4 months of the year.

Taking care in bad conditions and being sensible is something I will do anyway, winter tyres would enable me to brake more sharply if someone skidded in front of me for example.

If you can afford it and have the space to store a second set of wheels and tyres, I would say go for it. The likes of Evo were amazed when they can a set on an XFR earlier this year. It was so good, that it was better than a lot of posh 4x4's.

Its not just about performance in snow and ice, but damp salty roads in low temps. Which less face it, wherever you live in this country you will get a lot of in the winter months. As you said, its normal to store tyres in Europe so I can see no issue with doing that over here, albeit you should probably do some research into the subject of tyre degredation in storage.

I don't see why they would deteriorate as they will be dry and out of direct sunlight,

fair enough but you asked the question, but what I don't understand is why after one bad winter everyone rushes out for winter tyres?

Tyres, roads and vehicles are better/safer now then they have ever been, unfortunately driver skills haven't improved along with them. it isn't a tyre that will keep you on the road it is your driving.

How many people that went out in their 4x4 last winter and ended up in a ditch or worse because they thought they would be safer in their high tec 4x4 than in a car?

I can't help but wonder how many drivers will drive that bit faster in poor road conditions because they think they have magic tyres that will give them more grip?

Surely any increase in speed over a normal tyre will negate any advantage i.e. shorter stopping distances?

its your cash and you can spend it how you like but I will not be buying winter tyres and I travel anything from 10 - 150+ miles each day to my work locations in ALL weathers.

Stay Safe

cyb

Yes buy them - you'll never look back.

Last year I bought a set of 4 Continental WinterContact tyres (£250) and steel wheels (£50 off Gumtree)

The levels of grip in temperatures less than 7C is quite honestly amazing, you'll wonder why it took you so long to buy them!

I put my alloys back on in March this year, my steel/winter combos are in the shed ready to go back on in the next few weeks when the temperature drops a bit more,

Last Jan when we had really bad snow I went to work at 6 when the roads was not clear in my fiesta with normal tires on.Come the school run a couple of hours later 4X4 was being abandon because they got stuck on the same road and that was after cars like me had been down already.I never thought I will need or want winter tires because normal road ones work just fine.Winter tires are just more money that you don't need to spend.We are all sensible to drive to the conditions anyway.

If the extra cost and storage aren't an issue, then go ahead and get them as they are much, much better than summer tyres. This pic was from winter 2009/10, last years was worse and you can see how far I got that morning, couldn't even get off the drive. With winter tyres I'd have got to work no problem. Great if you want a lie in though. ;) Personally, I can't justify the best part of £1000 for tyres to enable me to use the BMW for the one week mine was off the road.

4-1-1.jpg

I'm not sure where you're getting those prices from. I've just ordered a set of 4 Goodyear Ultragrip8 winter tyres for £250 delivered (from lovetyres.com if you're interested). I need to get some steel wheels (i'm going for 15" here - I normally have 17" alloys on my Titanium X). Fitting costs extra on top (should be under £40 for the set).

As you've already got steel wheels (14" on the Econetic?) you could just fit winter tyres to those wheels and keep the normal tyres in your garage, then have those refitted in the summer. Of course that means you're paying fitting charges 2x a year, but it's cheaper than a set of wheels. Or you could buy a set of tyres+wheels from www.mytyres.co.uk/Steel_wheels.html for about £450.

Last Jan when we had really bad snow I went to work at 6 when the roads was not clear in my fiesta with normal tires on.Come the school run a couple of hours later 4X4 was being abandon because they got stuck on the same road and that was after cars like me had been down already.I never thought I will need or want winter tires because normal road ones work just fine.Winter tires are just more money that you don't need to spend.We are all sensible to drive to the conditions anyway.

It depends on the tyres you've got - if they're "all-season" relatively narrow tyres then you'll probably be OK in normal UK winter conditions. However, wide "summer" tyres like my Bridgestone 205x40x17s were a nightmare last winter and completely lost grip as soon as there was more than a few mm of snow. I got stuck several times and lost control (thankfully at very low speeds, and without resulting in an accident). I'm not risking it again this winter.

The 4x4s you mention were probably the "Chelsea Tractor" type (Porche, BMW, Audi, etc) with similar wide low profile summer tyres fitted that are useless in winter, rather than proper offroad tyres.

correct me if im wrong but i would check with your insurance because when i asked mine they said it would be classed as a modification to the car and would then put my insurance up so i would check with your insurers first as the last thing you want is to find out you insurance is void because you didnt declare a modification.

correct me if im wrong but i would check with your insurance because when i asked mine they said it would be classed as a modification to the car and would then put my insurance up so i would check with your insurers first as the last thing you want is to find out you insurance is void because you didnt declare a modification.

That's more than likely down to the idiots in the call centres who don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Fitting winter tyres should not put your insurance up or give them an excuse to void insurance. You should ask to speak to someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

I'm not sure where you're getting those prices from. I've just ordered a set of 4 Goodyear Ultragrip8 winter tyres for £250 delivered (from lovetyres.com if you're interested). I need to get some steel wheels (i'm going for 15" here - I normally have 17" alloys on my Titanium X). Fitting costs extra on top (should be under £40 for the set).

As you've already got steel wheels (14" on the Econetic?) you could just fit winter tyres to those wheels and keep the normal tyres in your garage, then have those refitted in the summer. Of course that means you're paying fitting charges 2x a year, but it's cheaper than a set of wheels. Or you could buy a set of tyres+wheels from www.mytyres.co.uk/Steel_wheels.html for about £450.

£400 was including steel wheels as you mentioned, where are you getting your steel wheels from?

In my view winter tyres are worth it. I put a set on my daughters Yaris last yr and was amozed at how much extra grip they gave. Pulling away on ice was not a problem, when other cars were stuck.

I can imagine there will be a minority who will drive a bit quicker as they will have more confidence in the tyres, but for most sensible drivers they will drive according to the conditions.

In my view winter tyres are worth it. I put a set on my daughters Yaris last yr and was amozed at how much extra grip they gave. Pulling away on ice was not a problem, when other cars were stuck.

I can imagine there will be a minority who will drive a bit quicker as they will have more confidence in the tyres, but for most sensible drivers they will drive according to the conditions.

I could imagine driving just 5mph faster might wipe out any improvement to your braking distance perhaps.

I would prefer to save money and have a good excuse for a lie in, my car is RWD so that's my usual excuse as to why i couldnt make it to work and everyone else could :D

Robin1, have a look on youtube, there is some good stuff on there that may help you.

At the end of the day, a lot of driving in the winter is down to common sense, sadly its not too common these days

I'll have my two pence in here....

I bought some last year for my last car after many journeys could not be completed the year before and have just had some delivered for this car.. They make a WORLD of difference. I live out in the sticks and gritters aren't always out, and if they are they never clear the road properly. There were days when people couldn't make it out at all and I could go anywhere. It was the same for my mam, she has a Fabia and on days where 4x4s couldn't really go anywhere she just pootled off as if it was fine. I only put them on the front (yes I know some people will chimp on about that) but having more grip on your driving wheels is the main thing as long as you don't heave it round corners. I also put a bit of weight in the boot to keep it a bit more stable and it worked an absolute treat. I wouldn't even consider keeping the low profiles on this car in winter it will be undriveable. I bought mine from mytyres.co.uk and at £80/£90 a wheel including delivery you cant go wrong. Ordered Thursday night and arrived Monday. Also you get the benefit of saving the tread on your summer tyres (lets face it, that's what they are) so you save that way. A set of winter tyres will last years and I wouldn't have any doubt at all they WILL NOT deteriorate if left stored.

My advice would be to get them and I promise you won't look back - especially with all the cuts councils are making! You'll be the one laughing as you pass people that are struggling to even get out of their drive

Hello all, I have a question for you,

I currently have 195/45/16 on my fiesta 2010.

Do I go for?

185/55/15 or 175/65/14

I need to buy the steel wheels, the tyres I have been looking at are Michelin alpine’s

Thanks

Paul

Do I go for?

185/55/15 or 175/65/14

I need to buy the steel wheels, the tyres I have been looking at are Michelin alpine's

Thanks

Paul

My summer tyres are 195/45/16 and my winter tyres are 195/50/15.

Hello guys, new to the forum here so please don't shoot me down in flames! :)

I have been researching the whole winter tyre thing for months now, and have decided ill buy me mother a full set of winter tyres and steels for her Zetec fez as she drives all over the county 5 days a week, last years snow was quite bad here. The question i have is, i will be ordering from mytyres.co.uk for their steel wheel combo, my questions are:

1) Will i be able to use the same wheel bolts for the steels that are currently being used on her alloys (Genuine Ford Nuts)

2) Will i be able to use the locking nut of will this have to go?

I dont know much about the old Fez/Ford yet, hence coming here to ask.

ATB and thankyou for any answers/help

Chris.

Do I go for?

185/55/15 or 175/65/14

I need to buy the steel wheels, the tyres I have been looking at are Michelin alpine’s

Thanks

Paul

You can compare sizes using this site: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

My summer tyres are Bridgestone RE050A 205/40/17; winter are Goodyear Ultragrip 8 185/60/15 (on Ford steel wheels) which gives a 1% difference in speedo reading.

As you have 16" wheels, I'd go for the 15" winter tyres, though I don't think it actually makes a huge difference.

The other thing to look out for is the load rating on the tyre. I've kept to the 84 rating of my summer tyres when getting the winter ones - a small difference from this probably won't matter, but don't stray too far.

Wheel nuts etc are just the same regardless :)

Thanks alot Ray, would the locker still be okay to use?

Judging by what you have just said im gonna guess yes and order a set now!

ATB, Chris.