Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Detail (Can You Be Too Early?)

Fast Fiesta

Winter Detail  

13 members have voted

1. 1. When should you begin the winter detail?

• I Cant start early enough
    • When it gets a bit chilly (frosty cars)
    • When the roads begin to be gritted
    • First sign of snow
    • I Dont protect my car for the winter

Is it better to get it protected early- just in case....

OR

Do you wait as long as possible in attempt to last the entire cold winter??

I would suggest any time now before the councils start laying down salt on the frosty roads. :)

Depends on products you use, how long will they last, also depends on if you're lucky enough to have somewhere indoors to do it.

I live in Scotland and don't have a garage..... It's not an easy or fun task for me coming into winter!

Start early as possible. I have most of my prep done, wheels sealed etc and will probably lay down the sealant this weekend. You can always top up just before the weather really starts to get bad.

Now is the perfect time to apply that winter protection. Do it before the daylight gets too short and the damp air sets in. A good layer of wax will last untill early February, by then the bad weather should be gone.

I did mine a few weeks ago, gave it a good wash and clean all over, dried it off. Checked underseal and arches, all good. I then blacked all my trim and tyres (probably pointless when we get some snow but it looked good) and gave it a really good polish with some Auto Glym 'Super Resin Polish'. It looked like new, but after a few weeks the dirt still settles and it looks desperate for a clean again now. It's a never ending thing trying to keep your car clean, especailly when you have car-OCD! Never mind, most importantly the wax will keep repelling the water so that will protect the paint. Winter is probably the most important time to make sure you have a good coat of wax as when we get the salt/grit on the road it will eat into the paint. I live in Paignton close to the sea and I regularly drive over to Torquay along the seafront and the waves wash over the shore into the road - it will eat into the paint and I don't want to find any surprises when I give the car a good clean early next year.

I don't think it's too important on what you do it, as long as you have a good coat of wax it will last months and continue protecting the car. Down here in Devon we usually get a couple of dry days throughout winter, even with some sunshine so I've always got the chance to give it a bit of a wash on those days.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, washed, dried, clayed and a coat of purple haze. I put a second top up coat on the other week. It seems to be holding up well. The wheels also have a good few coats of Poor Boys wheel sealant on them now.

I hate the winter too, its bad for my car cleaning OCD. I almost regret getting a white car now!

A couple of coats of FK1000p should do the job.

Planning on doing mine on Sunday after Bonny night.

I find you always end up with loads of crap on your car after Bonny night.

this might seem like a stupid question, but what *should* I be doing to prep the car for winter? I've only just learned to drive, and this is my first ever car, so am pretty clueless as to whether anything other than normal valeting needs to be done.

i do bugger all and its never let me down before :lol:

that doesn't mean others should though :rolleyes:

EDIT: I do however buy some de-icer aerosol, but i only use with gloves on, since the can gets royally cold B)

i do bugger all and its never let me down before :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club