Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus Mpg ?

Wickwick10_1

Hi chaps - Just curious to find out anyone who has the new Focus petrol 1.6 125bhp is running at MPG ? As mine is mostly town driving it's showing around 31 / 32 mpg currently ? Checking the ECO screen it shows anticipation , speed and gear change all full so top marks ?

Crowley that does sound like it has plenty of gizmos... Think I may be lucky to get an Average Mpg and trip deails on my Mk2.5.

I think I may have confused people with my question ? I feel my Focus MPG is too low at 31 / 32 MPG on the new shape focus 1.6 125 bhp ? What's everyone else's new focus running at ? Cheers

My Mk 2.5 does 38mpg around town and 43mpg on a run. I recon I could get 45mpg if I kept it at 70 though.

My Mk 2.5 does 38mpg around town and 43mpg on a run. I recon I could get 45mpg if I kept it at 70 though.

the real world mpg figures show 30-37mpg for the car the official urban mpg is 35 so given its still running in and loosening up and the weather ide say its perfectly fine mpg

Hi, the OP has a Mk3, and he asked for replies for that particular model. It isn't really helpful people replying that have Mk2.5 cars as they are different. Different shape, different in weight, different in gearing and different gizmo's. The only way to compare mpg is to compare like for like.

Chris

If its any consolation Chris (Wickwick), my Mk3 1.6TDCi is slightly disappointing at the moment. Just drove 250 miles from Glasgow, average on fuel computer 45mpg. Used motorway majority of way at legal speeds.

If its any consolation Chris (Wickwick), my Mk3 1.6TDCi is slightly disappointing at the moment. Just drove 250 miles from Glasgow, average on fuel computer 45mpg. Used motorway majority of way at legal speeds.

i am qouting mk3 figures thats why i replied

Running around rural roads and small towns(not city driving)I get 38mpg, on motorway running at 70mph (true, not speedo reading) would expect 40+

Note these are displayed figures and I am in the process of checking their accuracy. The Speedo reads high, when it shows 70, actual speed around 65. But mileage reading looks accurate.

(very suspicious of temp reading gauge, just always comes up to midpoint after a couple of mins)

I would expect yours to have done alot more mate ?

it may have done more as the trip computer is a bit off i reckon mine said i had done 35mpg however doing the brim test and working it out i was getting 39mpg so i dont rely on it much to be honest perhaps a brim test is in order and compare to the computer

it may have done more as the trip computer is a bit off i reckon mine said i had done 35mpg however doing the brim test and working it out i was getting 39mpg so i dont rely on it much to be honest perhaps a brim test is in order and compare to the computer

Yes true - may be better in few hundred mile as only done 800 so far ?

Yes true - may be better in few hundred mile as only done 800 so far ?

to be honest its still running in mate all those bits in the engine bedding in so it should start to get better though i must say my 1.6 ti-vct mpg is nowhere in real life to what ford claimed but i knew that anyway just enjoy the motor ;)

Hi, the OP has a Mk3, and he asked for replies for that particular model. It isn't really helpful people replying that have Mk2.5 cars as they are different. Different shape, different in weight, different in gearing and different gizmo's. The only way to compare mpg is to compare like for like.

Chris

OK,OK. Calm down :D

Thought as mine has only done 2900 miles and is still loosening up, it would be an interesting comparison. So is that typical mpg for a Mk 3 as it does appear to be pretty poor?

OK,OK. Calm down :D

Thought as mine has only done 2900 miles and is still loosening up, it would be an interesting comparison. So is that typical mpg for a Mk 3 as it does appear to be pretty poor?

this is how the official figures determined this is done using no aircon etc and with 1 occupant

Firstly, they are not measured on the road, but in a lab on a rolling road, and not by calculating the actual fuel used, but the exhaust emissions and from that working out the economy.

The car conducts two routes, over a total distance of just 6.8 miles. All of which is on the flat. The urban figure is measured over 2.5 miles, at a maximum speed of 31mph and an average of 12mph. The extra-urban test is 4.3 miles at speeds of up to 75mph, but averaging 39mph. The combined figure is simply a weighted average of the two.

The tests are run without air-con, lighting or audio equipment and, because the tests have to accommodate commercial vehicles, the acceleration components allow 50 seconds to reach 62mph, which is not how most people drive.

All of which I’m sure is very scientific and repeatable, but is it representative? We certainly very rarely get close to the claimed figures in our tests, which may not have the total accuracy of a lab test, but I think are more thorough and realistic of what you, as an owner are likely to achieve.

All of which Im sure is very scientific and repeatable, but is it representative? We certainly very rarely get close to the claimed figures in our tests, which may not have the total accuracy of a lab test, but I think are more thorough and realistic of what you, as an owner are likely to achieve.

Not a truer word said. One cannot realistically achieve the advertised performance on the road. In fact the mixed urban published figures are more likely what you could achieve through careful motorway driving.

Not a truer word said. One cannot realistically achieve the advertised performance on the road. In fact the mixed urban published figures are more likely what you could achieve through careful motorway driving.

really they are useless figures which makes you wonder why bother trying to explain to a friend why his was low was a mare...weather conditions roads stopping braking hills wind direction and speed in the end i gave up personally i find that getting up to a comfortable speed and 5th gear quickly helps mpg then feather the throttle but sometimes the foot hits the floor and the mpg can kiss it lol :P we are all slaves to money so sod it ill jut spend a bit more on fuel does put a smile on my face though

really they are useless figures which makes you wonder why bother trying to explain to a friend why his was low was a mare...weather conditions roads stopping braking hills wind direction and speed in the end i gave up personally i find that getting up to a comfortable speed and 5th gear quickly helps mpg then feather the throttle but sometimes the foot hits the floor and the mpg can kiss it lol :P we are all slaves to money so sod it ill jut spend a bit more on fuel does put a smile on my face though

Good idea !!! My task then now I will see how low I can get MPG !!!! Foot to the floor and 😄

Good idea !!! My task then now I will see how low I can get MPG !!!! Foot to the floor and 😄

thats the spirit :P:):rolleyes::lol::D

Have tried the brimming and calculating method. Reckon best is 46.6mpg on a full tank. Certainly expected better than this. Ford reckon you don't see true economy until 8-10k on engine. We'll see about that as I now have 7,500 miles on it.