Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting The Car Ready For Winter

fordieashx

hey everyone!

I just wanted to know the best way to help prepare and protect the cars body work instead of just giving it a good wash and wax? I am one of those people that cant stand a mucky car and hate it when people see it when its not gleaming, as my friends know my cars always got to be in tip top condition! I have been using Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax recently as its been a bit to chilly outside to put some more wax on the car, as my last layer has now just come off but im hoping to get it waxed again this weekend. And one other thing.. would you recommend buying a buffer? :)

Hi there,

Check here.

Have you undersealed your car? It's a good way of keeping the floorpan and sills protected, especially when we get the salt/grit laid on the roads for the frosty weather. It will really eat into the underside of the car. As far as the general exterior goes make sure you use a good quality wax and give it a good polish. Don't worry if the car gets dirty and looks dirty, that's part of the joys of winter. A good coat of wax will keep the paint protected for months to see you through the winter and into Spring. You'll find it will repel the water and it will also make it easier to hose the car off every once in a while.

I wouldn't worry too much about having it looking showroom, in the winter that's very hard to achieve unless you're prepared to clean it every weekend regardless of the weather. If you really want to keep it looking its best then apply some good wax, and once a week just give it a good hose off, and clean the underside too as mud and grit will get caught in places and may start the car to corrode along the inner sills and floorpan.

Buying a buffer is a good idea :) It takes some of the effort out of the job but you have to be careful not to try and polish it too deep, I know someone who stripped down to bare metal by using a buffer!

Hope that's of some help :) I'm in the same boat, want to keep my car looking as clean as possible even though it gets dirty as soon as I leave my drive again.

hey,

Funny that, my mum mentioned undersealing to me this morning saying my dad used to do it! will deffo be getting that done for the supposedly harsh winter coming!

Well the majority of my cleaning stuff is autoglym, so would you say its best to wax then polish, or two layers of wax? :rolleyes: haha! will sure be keeping a good eye on the car if it is a bad winter! I think i do have a bit of "car OCD" like you said in that other post, but if the cars got a good coat of wax on it shouldnt bother me too much :)

hmmm, might try the buffer out on someone elses car first then haha.

thanks for the advice :) couldnt agree more with the car getting mucky straight away though, mines the same!

hey,

Funny that, my mum mentioned undersealing to me this morning saying my dad used to do it! will deffo be getting that done for the supposedly harsh winter coming!

Well the majority of my cleaning stuff is autoglym, so would you say its best to wax then polish, or two layers of wax? :rolleyes: haha! will sure be keeping a good eye on the car if it is a bad winter! I think i do have a bit of "car OCD" like you said in that other post, but if the cars got a good coat of wax on it shouldnt bother me too much :)

hmmm, might try the buffer out on someone elses car first then haha.

thanks for the advice :) couldnt agree more with the car getting mucky straight away though, mines the same!

Defiantly do not polish after waxing. All this will do it remove the wax you have just put on. Two layers of wax is always a good idea, it will fill in the holes that have been missed by the first layer.

As for a machine polisher, go for it, start off with a DA rather than a rotary and you will find it extremely extremely hard to cause any damage with it.

Defiantly do not polish after waxing. All this will do it remove the wax you have just put on. Two layers of wax is always a good idea, it will fill in the holes that have been missed by the first layer.

As for a machine polisher, go for it, start off with a DA rather than a rotary and you will find it extremely extremely hard to cause any damage with it.

two layers of wax it is then :) hopefully get it done tomorrow if the rain stays off!

so are DAs cheaper or is this just a silly question? :unsure: i have seen a cheap draper one in a shop but its not on there website so i have no idea what kind it is because i cant remember <_<

thanks for the links! will have to wait till after christmas to get one of them though because of christmas!

that's the first layer of wax done now though and he's looking brand new :)

thanks again!