Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E196 Invalid Data For Engine Rpm (Invalid Can Message)

starfield

I did the dashboard diagnostic the other day. There is a DTC code: E196. Having done some research, it turned out to be: E196 (U2196) Invalid data for engine RPM (Invalid CAN message). Can anybody explain this to me in simpler terms? I am suspecting this DTC was logged after a mysterious 'Steering Assist Failure' appeared on the dashboard for around 10 seconds. I have driven some 700 miles since and no further message appeared.

I did the dashboard diagnostic the other day. There is a DTC code: E196. Having done some research, it turned out to be: E196 (U2196) Invalid data for engine RPM (Invalid CAN message). Can anybody explain this to me in simpler terms? I am suspecting this DTC was logged after a mysterious 'Steering Assist Failure' appeared on the dashboard for around 10 seconds. I have driven some 700 miles since and no further message appeared.

IMHO, cars these days are only computers with wheels at each corner, think of all the error messages you can get flashing on your monitor screens.

All that DTC tells you is at that precise moment in time some data/command was invalid. If your motor is running fine, I would not worry yourself over it. Best to clear old DTC's and see if they reappear, if not forget it.

Agree'd unless you have developed symptoms that it may show to be the problem, just get them cleared and see if anything comes later on!

Agree'd unless you have developed symptoms that it may show to be the problem, just get them cleared and see if anything comes later on!

Will disconnecting the battery for 1 hour erase the codes or should i take it to dealer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club