Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Smd Leds To Cup Holder

Preee

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

First check my guide for making the LED setup.

http://www.fordowner...331#entry151331

Basic setup up is Ford Focus with armrest , but with out armrest there would be little difference.

Parts

9 SMD LEDS

Fuse holder and 3 amp fuse

Scotchlocks

Tools

T25 and T20 Hex screwdriver bits

Pliers

Drill and 4mm Drill bit

10mm Socket and driver

Multimeter tester

Flat head screwdriver

One inch wide insulation tape

STEP 1)

Lift armrest lid and undo two T20 retaining screws.

Lift handbrake surround up and over the handbrake.

20111105113324.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105114437.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 2)

Lift out bottom section of cupholder , use finger nail .Undo the T20 retaining screw and remove.

20111105114516.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Step 3)

Using your finger nails pull up the gear stick plastic/chrome surround lift out and then un-screw the

gear stick knog anti clockwise and remove.

20111105114615.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 4)

Pop out Start button or 12v Aux and undo the wiring clip.

20111105115143.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 5)

Using a flat head screwdriver , start from the bottom of the radio surround , insert screwdriver covered with

a cloth and using a twisting action work your way from the bottom / middle and upwards until radio surround is free.

20111105115825.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105115917.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 6)

Using T25 HEX screwdriver undo the two retaining screws and remover , un-clip the set of buttons.

You can now see the wiring for the buttons , i found two live feeds when lights are turned on.Furthest right (on mine)is the

wires used for the ESP or Electric roof on CC models Orange/White = +. Left of that are the wires for the Rear Demister

wire is Orange/Black + both of these are live when side lights are turned on.

20111105115946.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105120640.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Continued in next post.

• Like 2

STEP 7)

Now for marking up rear of the cup holder for the lights.20111105122320.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105124536.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 8)

Three sets of three SMD LEDS are going to be used , these are not covered in the rubber surround , the reason for this is they

will click into a 4mm diameter hole to help with securing.

Start by drilling the center hole first and double check markings for the other two.

Click all LEDS into Place and TEST they work.

20111105130525.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105131619.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

STEP 9)

Using one inch wide insulation tape secure the LED's in place , use as much as you think is nessessary to secure , make sure bottom

wire's are away from the Cupholder securing hole and tape to the side.This will not be seen .

20111105131637.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Next using a CLEAR silicon sealant add a small blob to each hole inside the cupholder , smooth flush with your finger and wipe away any

residue. This is to seal the LED's from water spillage into the cup holder.

Allow to cure for 1 hr.

20111105131911.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105131931.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Continued in next Post

• Like 1

Step 10)

using 10mm socket undo one of the handbrake bolts and remove , this will be out earthing point.Return center console to the car , feed the wires

through the center gap between the retaining screw and start button.Strip back the negative wire on the LED's and form a loop, feed the handbrake

bolt through the loop and bolt back down. Starting from the front clip console back into place and use T20 for cup holder screw, place the bottom

of the cup holder back into position.

Slide handbrake cover back on and put T20 Screws back in.

Feed positve wire and fuse holder passed gear stick and through opening where rear demister buttons are.

Screw gear stick back on , clockwise , making sure it is tight and clip bottom cover back in place.

20111105140457.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Using a scotchlock , i used the spare set of wires Orange/White + feed and connected into it with the fused end of my LED's.

Testing Time :)

20111105141046.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105170956.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105171023.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

Thank you for viewing my Guide

Paul

• Like 1

Hey Pre

That is one fab mod and i really like it.

I will pay ure fuel etc for you to come and mod the cupholders in my car:-)

Jamie

• Like 1

Thank you James

If you follow the 2 Guides its real simple to do , hardest part was the wiring up the LED's yesterday after a night shift :blink: .I'm fast running out of things to do now haha.

Dismantling is very easy . only caution is drilling the holes , i almost messed up and had to widen a couple so the LED'S clicked in.:D

• Like 1

Nice mod there matey :).

cheers H3lly

• Like 1

have you got a switch for these lights?? do they come on when ignition is on? if so could you link then up to the interior light so that they come on when doors are open??

sorry for the million questions, just really like the look of these.... thinking the white LED's would look o smart in my silver focus!!

linking up to orange/white connection is typically the illumination wire. this means soon as you turn your lights on, these will go on...its the same connection as your head unit uses to illuminate the buttons on a night

Yes as JohnH says these lights are linked to the Lights On , so under normal ignition they are off and as soon as Side lights are turned on the will come on.But it would be easy to wire a switch to either turn them off completely or wire the feed to ignition and be able to have them on during the daytime and also be able to switch them on/off.

• Like 1

Quality Mod Pree looks excellent mate,

I love the way the light illuminates up the bottle of water too,

Ill Defo be following this guide in the near future mate its brilliant B)

Cheer Lenny

I'm not a water drinker usually but i tend to put my phone in there and now i can see where it is :P

• Like 1

While sat there last night waiting to pick my daughter up , i decided to mess with the dimming switch , i was able to Dim the lights in the Cup Holder , now i'm even more happy with it :D

• Like 1

A very good mod indeed! certainly worth the effort by the looks of it! good job!

Thanks to Pree helping me with the wiring of the Led's ive got this Mod in my car now too

Image1127.jpg

Awesome work Lenny. This mod is fast catching on now. I think red leds are best for it too. :)

Nice one Lenny looks great , have you got your Dimmer switch yet. Im glad the dark nights are here i can actually see all my light MODs now when driving to and from work :)

• Like 1

Nice one Lenny looks great , have you got your Dimmer switch yet. Im glad the dark nights are here i can actually see all my light MODs now when driving to and from work :)

Thanks to your Guides mate,

i wish i had my dimmer, im still looking for a control switch with a dimmer and with the front foglights and without the autolight setting on it for less than £80 :D

the lights look cool but even better when you can dim them, keeps getting better

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Ive added another Led Strip to my focus today,

theirs no need in creating a guide for it because it ties in with everything Pree has done on this one,

i fitted a 3 SMD strip to the ''bird bath'' pocket in the rear of the centre console by lining the strip in the centre and drilling three 4.5mm holes for the led's to beam through then stuck the strip to the panel with some electrical PVC tape, then spliced it in to the cup holder lights that i also fitted following prees guide in this thread,

very happy with the results and a nice glow in the rear now as well as the front matches in nicely, and these are all run from the interior dash light feed so the illuminate when the driving lights are switched on and they can be dimmed along with the rest of the interior lights, if you have a dimming wheel on your light control unit. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.png

Image1770.jpg

Image1778.jpg

Image1780.jpg

Image1781.jpg

thanks to pree for the inspiration on this one, http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.png

Hey Nice work Lenny , looks great , i'm going to copy that for sure i have some spare LED's :)

I have also been looking at a Clock , for the same area but finding it hard to find one skinny enough to fit in there lol , i have emailed asking how deep they are. Thought a nice red glow analog clock would finish it off with those LEDS lenny , what do you think?

• Like 1

Hey Nice work Lenny , looks great , i'm going to copy that for sure i have some spare LED's :)

I have also been looking at a Clock , for the same area but finding it hard to find one skinny enough to fit in there lol , i have emailed asking how deep they are. Thought a nice red glow analog clock would finish it off with those LEDS lenny , what do you think?

Cheers Preee,

Clock sounds good mate,

makes an excellent after shave sampling boot in the rear of the focus!

now thats what i call PIMPIN! :lol:

the bottle is clear but the light travels through the glass illuminating the whole bottle

Image1794.jpg

Image1793.jpg

Yer just showin' off now. :P

sorry Stoney the centre console can be purchased on eBay and is a straght swap to the existing one mate,

ive just purchased some 3 smd light units that i plan to stick to the top of the rear footwell heater vents,

facing the rear seat and splice them in to the front footwell loom

http://www.ebay.co.u..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

all the way from Houston Texas. :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club