Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Rings On Drums

bt_cav

Hi All

Im Looking to change drums, shoes, fitting kit & bearings

I am not sure what the deal is with the ABS ring, Is it easy enough to swap over after the bearings are fitted?

Thanks

Brian :)

04 focus

hatchback

Parts arrived quickly :)

Can anyone advise me what is the best way to remove the abs 'ring' from the old drums, without destroying them. Or Must I buy a new pair? :(

Cheers

Brian

Anyone?

:(

can you put a pic up of the inside of the new drums? im thinking the ring it just pushed on or maybe a shrink fit?

cheers guys :)

if I build up the rear brakes with out the ring the ABS light will come on, will it go out when I fit new rings later?

I would try to transfer the old ABS rings on to the new drums. You could try prying them off using a screwdriver, then use somthing like a block of wood to press the rings on to the new drum. You have nothing to lose by trying, and if the the ABS light goes out then thats sorted, if it doesn't then you will need new rings.

if I build up the rear brakes with out the ring the ABS light will come on, will it go out when I fit new rings later?

If the ABS rings are missing the the ABS light will be on, and the light should go out when the rings are fitted.

• Like 1

might be a little late, if its those type of abs rings they are easy to remove/refit. get a large pair of pump pliers and a rag, and just twist it until it comes off. dont use a screwdriver or any sort of lever as you will destroy it. i thought that type only applied to rear discs (obv not then)

• Like 1

might be a little late, if its those type of abs rings they are easy to remove/refit. get a large pair of pump pliers and a rag, and just twist it until it comes off. dont use a screwdriver or any sort of lever as you will destroy it. i thought that type only applied to rear discs (obv not then)

Hey Stef

Cheers for your advice, I fitted the new shoes with a new fitting kit, I have new drums but just put the old drums on for now, as they are not so bad, will swap the ABS rings over and fit to new drums when I have time.

How would you go about refitting the ABS rings? Gently tap them on all the way round at oppisit sides i.e. 12 oclock 6 o'clock 3 o'clock 9 o'clock...

Hey Stef

Cheers for your advice, I fitted the new shoes with a new fitting kit, I have new drums but just put the old drums on for now, as they are not so bad, will swap the ABS rings over and fit to new drums when I have time.

How would you go about refitting the ABS rings? Gently tap them on all the way round at oppisit sides i.e. 12 oclock 6 o'clock 3 o'clock 9 o'clock...

I used a bearing driver which is just a large round piece of metal but you could do it that way or even a piece of wood over it and tap it in the middle. just keep an eye on it to make sure it goes on square.

• Like 1

Nice one I'll go easy and let you know how it goes......fingers crossed

Nice one I'll go easy and let you know how it goes......fingers crossed

before i got a bearing press i once had my local garage press a bearing for me, the guy told me that you cant remove the abs ring without destroying it - soon sorted that :lol: admittedly i have no idea how this will be on a drum, not sure if you will be able to get in with the pump pliers properly?

you will need a large pair of pump pliers though, i used a 12 inch pair as the jaws open really wide.

before i got a bearing press i once had my local garage press a bearing for me, the guy told me that you cant remove the abs ring without destroying it - soon sorted that :lol: admittedly i have no idea how this will be on a drum, not sure if you will be able to get in with the pump pliers properly?

you will need a large pair of pump pliers though, i used a 12 inch pair as the jaws open really wide.

Yea mate it makes a lot of sense, Got a couple of pairs of these, grate for pushing back pistons in calipers and slackening off oil filters too ;)

• 2 months later...

1 drum and ABS ring changed, Like you said Stef, got the ring moving with a pair of pump pliers then gently prised it off with a big with flat screwdriver :)

Off to do the other side now :P

1 drum and ABS ring changed, Like you said Stef, got the ring moving with a pair of pump pliers then gently prised it off with a big with flat screwdriver :)

Off to do the other side now :P

nice work mate :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club