Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heating system airlock - how to cure

iano

Hi there..

I'll worry next why the coolant level dropped 2 litres of fluid over the last six months - the immediate concern though has to do with curing a suspected airlock preventing the heating system working. Even though I've topped up the coolant.

The 'net throws up solutions involving running the engine until hot with the coolant cap off + turning the heating dial to hot + squeezing the "top" hose repeatedly to shift the airlock

But which hose(s) do they mean? The engine coolant circuit hoses get hot but the hoses to the heating valve and beyond into the car remain cold. It's low mileage '96 1.3l model

Thanks in advance

iano

I can cure one worry and make the other worse. Sounds to me like you havent got an air lock pal.......now the bad bit.....it sounds like your heater matrix has a small leak in it. Would explain both symptoms.

I can cure one worry and make the other worse. Sounds to me like you havent got an air lock pal.......now the bad bit.....it sounds like your heater matrix has a small leak in it. Would explain both symptoms.

If the matrix had a small leak it would indeed explain the drip-drip loss of coolant. What it wouldn't explain is why the heating isn't working after replenishing the coolant.

Like I say, I'll worry about the source of the leak after I cure my immediate concern re: chilly driving conditions.

:)

Heater knob link is broken so heaters on cold all the time.

Could be it also.

But given the serious lack of coolant + the frequent web references to "Rid yourself of airlock associated with low coolant levels, so as to get the heating working again", I'm inclined to plump for an airlock being the best first port of call.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club