Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes Stick On After Washing Car Only

moods

Hi all, can anyone explain to me why my brakes stick on after washing my car when left overnight??? oh car is 2.0 titanium auto

Just about every car I have owned with rear disc brakes did it. Even brand new ones. The discs oxidise really quickly, especially after a wash and the pads stick to the newly formed surface of rust. I always leave it in gear with the handbrake off after washing to avoid it happening.

Caliper is siezed.

Used to happen on the rear brakes on my MK2

Asked Ford about it every time it went in for a service and the denied all knowledge

After the warranty was up, I took it to a local garage and he spotted it straight away

He stripped the unit down, greased it all up and stuck it back together

- Didn't cost much. Don't know exactly how much, as it was part of a full service

Hi all, can anyone explain to me why my brakes stick on after washing my car when left overnight??? oh car is 2.0 titanium auto

Take it for a quick spin to dry the brakes before leaving overnight.

If I jet wash car my brakes stick on ao tend to leave it in gear with hand brake off ! If I hose the car I have no issues so it must be pressure of water getting in the drums ?

Just about every car I have owned with rear disc brakes did it. Even brand new ones. The discs oxidise really quickly, especially after a wash and the pads stick to the newly formed surface of rust.

100% agree with that, although I just take for a short run around the block to dry the brakes off - gets the water out of the shut lines on the car too :)

A few months back after washing my car with the pressure washer, and leaving overnight, my rear brake on the offside was so stuck I had to call out the RAC!! I tried rocking the car and pulling forward but it was stuck solid. The RAC got it going by taking the alloy off and tapping the drum with a hammer. I have since had them serviced but it happened the other week. This time I was able to pull away. I think I'll take the car for a spin after washing and park without the handbrake off but in gear. It only seems to happen on the offside as the road has a bad camber.

I did notice this happening slightly in the winter too when there is a lot of dew about.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club