Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Focus Paint Peeling From Outer Sill

jay1981

Washed the car on Tuesday and noticed that the paint has started to peel off the front of the sill next to the bottom edge of the front wing. This is happening on both sides. :o See the pictures below:

100_1206Copy.jpg

Another pic:

100_1202Copy.jpg

It does not look that bad from the pictures, but these were taken a few days ago, and it is getting worse, you can pick the paint off using a finger. I am not very happy about this, it is not very good for a car that is two years old.

I went to see the bodyshop at my local Ford dealer today who agreed that this should not be happening. They took some photos and are now waiting to hear back from Ford regarding a warranty claim, they also said that they have seen other cars with the same problem. Their first reaction was that it must be a stone chip, I find it hard to believe that two stone chips could be in the same place but on opposite sides of the car, as the paint is flaking off the other sill as well.

Now I am just wait to hear back from Ford to see weather they will pay for repairs, they think that it will take around two weeks for an answer, but I don't hold much hope. They said they would charge between £300 - £400 to respray both sills.

Has anyone else had this problem? It is worth other Focus owners having a look at their cars as I only noticed this when washing the car.

I will update this thread when I have heard back from Ford. Does anyone have an email address for Ford customer services or a phone number, I feel like having a rant and they are first in line. :D

Washed the car on Tuesday and noticed that the paint has started to peel off the front of the sill next to the bottom edge of the front wing. This is happening on both sides. :o See the pictures below:

100_1206Copy.jpg

Another pic:

100_1202Copy.jpg

It does not look that bad from the pictures, but these were taken a few days ago, and it is getting worse, you can pick the paint off using a finger. I am not very happy about this, it is not very good for a car that is two years old.

I went to see the bodyshop at my local Ford dealer today who agreed that this should not be happening. They took some photos and are now waiting to hear back from Ford regarding a warranty claim, they also said that they have seen other cars with the same problem. Their first reaction was that it must be a stone chip, I find it hard to believe that two stone chips could be in the same place but on opposite sides of the car, as the paint is flaking off the other sill as well.

Now I am just wait to hear back from Ford to see weather they will pay for repairs, they think that it will take around two weeks for an answer, but I don't hold much hope. They said they would charge between £300 - £400 to respray both sills.

Has anyone else had this problem? It is worth other Focus owners having a look at their cars as I only noticed this when washing the car.

I will update this thread when I have heard back from Ford. Does anyone have an email address for Ford customer services or a phone number, I feel like having a rant and they are first in line. :D

its due to the fact water etc from the road hits this area right on the edge of the gap a lot of fords have it mines has had it and was repaired fitting mudflaps helps but doesnt eradicate it so i waited till it was a warm dry day and using a small art brush built the laquer up on both edges to around 6 coats ford may fix it but it will come back its a design flaw thats why ford went back to plastic sill covers on the new focus as you see the lower edge of the door and that minutely raised area take all the force of grit dirt and water the force just strips the paint hence why the rest of the sill is fine the door bottoms are suscebtable to it as well

Had this issue on my 2007 Focus as well

Was happening where you have it, in the middle of the sill under the centre pilar on the rear quarter, just behind the arch on the door

- Same on both sides

Also found that the two back doors got a lot of stones are are badly chipped as well

My sisters MK2 is seeing some of the same damage, so yes, a design flaw

I would say your should be covered by the 3yr paint cover, unfortunately, I mine never began till just after the 3yr warranty was out

Thanks for the replys guys, I think mudflaps would be a good idea to stop road dirt being thrown against the sill which seems to stick out further than the bottom edge of the wing. That seems like a manufacturing or design problem.

The person I spoke to from bodyshop said they had another Focus with the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and Ford refused to pay for the repairs saying it was stonechip damage. That was a 2008 car however.

I might have to go in there and kick off, that might make them listen B)

Its common to be honest and rarely accepted by ford paint cover is only valid if u paid extra to have the paint inspection done and the book stamped

That doesn't surprise me, as with any warranty they will find any excuse not to pay out. I did have the body and paint inspection done at the last service, and the book was stamped so fingers crossed.

Unless its just me, it seems that not only has the paint peeled but you have quite a difference in the panel alignments? are you sure theres no water behind the scenes that shouldnt be there??

I would contact Ford Customer Relationship Centre at 0845 841 1111. Had some paint issues on my 2001 Focus Ghia I found out if I had took it to these guys earlier the problem would have been resolved sooner rather than listening to the dealer telling me they all rust like that there and that Ford wouldn't do anything about it. Personally I think the dealer can't be bothered with the hassle of warranty work when they come away with statements like that.

Ford Customer Relationship Centre will listen, so complain hard enough to make them do something if no joy - then publish the problem together with replies from Ford on the Ford Focus facebook page!! Social Media at its bests!!! :)

I think that the problem lies with the alignment of the wing and the sill, making that front corner more exposed to water and road dirt. I live in and rural area and the car spends most of its time on single track roads that are covered in cow sh*t, I'm sure that doesn't help.

I am going to order some mudflaps, and will give Ford customer relations a call over the weekend.