Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St170 Clutch Slipping - Help Pls

whiffin

Just bought a 2003 Focus ST170. 74000 miles on the clock. All good except the clutch.

When I test drove it through town it seemed OK, but clutch started slipping on way home. Then I tested it, which made it worse. Now put in 4th 5th or 6th and put your toe down and the revs fly up as it slips. In 3rd it does it a little too. It's really noticible and needs to be fixed ASAP.

The clutch pedal engages right at the top, which makes me wonder if it's the clutch or the master cylinder not releasing the pressure to the slave. It's of course probably the clutch, but don't want to get that changed if it's not.

1. Anyone know a typical mileage when the clutch is likely to go?

2. Anyone know where the slave cylinder is located (so I can open the bleed valve to release any pressure to test if the master cylinder is faulty)?

3. Any way of adjusting anything that I am missing?

4. This typical? (I've Googled it but can't find anything)

5. Finally, typical cost of a new clutch fitted?

Thanks guys, and hopefully I'll be on the forum a bit now :D

Hi and welcome

In answer to your question

1 Depending driving style (at the miles you state it at the end of its life, thats if it as not been changed)

2 On top of the gearbox clutch housing one pipe and one bleed nipple

3 No manual adjustment

4 No depends on how the car as been driven

5 Anything from £200 to £300+ this again will depend on type of clutch you have fitted and what type of flywheel is fitted to your car, (ie Dual mass flywheel)

Hi and welcome

In answer to your question

1 Depending driving style (at the miles you state it at the end of its life, thats if it as not been changed)

2 On top of the gearbox clutch housing one pipe and one bleed nipple

3 No manual adjustment

4 No depends on how the car as been driven

5 Anything from £200 to £300+ this again will depend on type of clutch you have fitted and what type of flywheel is fitted to your car, (ie Dual mass flywheel)

Great, thx mate

I'll take to garage Monday :(

Then I can drive my new baby :D

Do I access from on top or underneath mate? Will I need to remove bits?

Can't find Haynes manual, assuming there isn't one for the ST?

Cheers

Most of ford focus's are similar in design, a 2003 ford focus manual will give you the basics for your car ( access to the clutch bleed nipple is from the top ) its fluid is from the brake reservoir..

Thx mate. Unfortunate feeling it's the clutch. Bugger it's Sunday tmr as garage shut

Cheers :)

• 7 years later...

I have the same problem apart from my st170 2003 95 k on clock is slipping but still ok to drive but not gunner beat about the bush gunner stick a new cluch in.....now????  do I stick a full cluch kit in orrr is it just the pressure plate and cluch plate?????  if anyone can answer my querie thanks guys...🤔

Hi did u mange to sort the problem I have same problem but my st170  still ok to drive but does need replacing g thax

I'd advise changing the slave cylinder as well when doing clutch. Will save in labour costs in the long run as you need to take gearbox off to do both. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sparky matt thank you very much for replying I will make sure I change the slave aswell doing it Friday so hopefull all gd 🖒

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club