Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Rear Badge Brake Light

Lenny

On a related note, I'm thinking of replacing the TDCi badge on the rear of my Focus - the laquer is all chipped and missing, and the red letters are faded.

Replacements are cheap on eBay, but when I remove the original I expect to leave a load of sticky residue behind on the tailgate. What's the best way to remove this residue without damaging the paint?

Petrol and a sock mate, does the jone nicely, followed by a wash

if you get an old sock wet it with petrol and let it un down on to the foam of the badge from above it,

then peel it off, followed by wiping in circular motions with the sock and petrol,

petrol will melt polystirene, and the sticky pads are polystirene type material,

others may say fishing line etc. but i dont fish lol but i do have a lawnmower and a 5ltr can of petrol

so the petrol worked for me and doesnt dammage the paintwork at all B)

Petrol and a sock mate, does the jone nicely, followed by a wash

if you get an old sock wet it with petrol and let it un down on to the foam of the badge from above it,

then peel it off, followed by wiping in circular motions with the sock and petrol,

petrol will melt polystirene, and the sticky pads are polystirene type material,

others may say fishing line etc. but i dont fish lol but i do have a lawnmower and a 5ltr can of petrol

so the petrol worked for me and doesnt dammage the paintwork at all B)

Wee heat with a hair-dryer and prised off with some fishing line (Im no fisher but I did have some spare line lol)

Then I used 'Goo-gone' instead of petrol, got a wee bottle from amazon, its paint safe etc so was totally fine.

Same method for removal of sticky foam as Lenny :)

• Like 1

Quick Update,

Recieved the led piece this morning, temperarly tapped it to the panel to simulate it being glued,

then held it to the body of the car, it fits perfectly in the space of the plastic boot trim, but the unit is 10cm bigger than the badge all around, suppose this is to help spread the light,

this is fine except it leaves a small gap either side of the unit, can be easily filled though,

over all im very happy with the way its going, new badge on the way from paynes in hickney and managed to salvage the DMB overlay from the wreck lol

looks good so far.

Image1194.jpg

Image1195-1.jpg

also starting to like the red on the silver lol nice contrast.

once i recieve the badge from paynes ill be in a position to take it a bit further :D

Quick Update:

Recieved the Replacment badge from Paynes Garage Yesterday Morning,

so with the help of some Glue i filled the bowl of the badge with Glue and mounted to the led Disc,

its a perfect fit, as the led disc has a groove in it for the badge to slot in to,

heres a picture of the unit now with the Ford Badge fitted, badge size: 145x56mm the original size for the Mk2.5 Focus

Image1210.jpg

next step is to get the boot handle piece sprayed as i slipped with the drill a few times, when i was cutting out the old badge,

looking foward to getting that done, then i can piece the whole thing togeather on the car.

Image1186-1.jpg

Quick Update:

Got out to the car today,

Removed the rear spoiler to gain access to the cables forthe spoiler brake light unit,

Then run a single core cable from the positive feed,

Down the pillar of the boot panel, along the bottom over tothe centre of the boot door, under the wiper motor,

Then pushed the cables from the badge led through thegrommet in the centre of the boot,

Connected the positive from the LED badge light to thepositive feed run from the centre brake light,

Also spliced the earth from the LED badge unit to the blackcable on the wiper motor which is also an earth feed. (Verified this in the Haynesmanual prior to splicing),

Quick test and it works perfect :D

Just waiting on the local body shop to call me,

I left the panel in last week to get it touched up, as wheni was cutting out the shape i slipped a few times with the drill

As soon as the part is ready I will be able to complete thismodification and update the thread.

See picture below, I have tapped up the loom for the regplate lights and boot open handle in an old tea towel to prevent them fromscratching the reg plate or the body work on the car,

Image1213.jpg

Another Update:

Got the panel back from the body shop today so got out and fitted it to the car,

ford badge fits perfect with the led panel behind it in to the newly cut slot just as planned,

was a bit cold this evening to stick in to place with silicone so im going to do it in the morning

then once its dry i can remove the blue tape and hopfully take a picture of it illuminated

if i can get the missus to press the brake pedal for me that is lol

Image1239.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one Lenny ;)

Thanks Pree,

following in your footsteps on this Modification mate,

ive got the silicone on today and the badge lined up in place, coverd in tape to hold it down tight until the silicone sets dry.

you can see a bit of the brake light on top and bottom of the tape, ill get another picture when the tape is removed.

Image1240.jpg

This is what they are like in the dark TDCIST

70752345.jpg

• Like 2

Cool little mod this! Cant wait to see a dark picture!

Thanks Pree and TDCiST,

Pree also has a white light in his one,

has it wired up to the reverse light and it looks sweet,

unfortunitly mine just has the red light in it and comes on with the brakes

Thanks Pree and TDCiST,

Pree also has a white light in his one,

has it wired up to the reverse light and it looks sweet,

unfortunitly mine just has the red light in it and comes on with the brakes

Looks like i need to get my bum in gear and do this Twin reverse Conversion soon for the mk2.5 then! lol Just so i can be a trend setter!

• Like 1

Looks like i need to get my bum in gear and do this Twin reverse Conversion soon for the mk2.5 then! lol Just so i can be a trend setter!

im waiting to copy your guide on it mate, B)

This is what they are like in the dark TDCIST

That looks great! Proper good Mod that!

im waiting to copy your guide on it mate, B)

I've got some time coming up at work in between shows.. so hopefully ill be able to do stages of it every couple of days!

• Like 1

I've got some time coming up at work in between shows.. so hopefully ill be able to do stages of it every couple of days!

cool look foward to that mate,

also if your looking for some proper good glue that drys cristal clear for the second reverse light,

this stuff is brilliant and hard as nails when dry Click Here

• Like 1

I used that solvent weld stuff on the last one! lol!

That stuff is great as it almost melts the plastic together!!

• Like 1

Finally got a Picture of my new badge in the Dark :lol: had to jam the hoover pipe between the brake pedal and the driver seat, then jump out and take a picture

Image1342.jpg

Looks great Lenny, have to do this asap !! Where did you buy from, is your mate doing these or is it Chinatown ??

• Like 1

Looks great Lenny, have to do this asap !! Where did you buy from, is your mate doing these or is it Chinatown ??

Thanks for the Comment Richie,

My mate was doing these but China Deliverys have stopped for the Christmas

their is a listing on eBay Click Here they are the same as mine and only lights up red, but sent from the uk and the same price as my mate was selling them for too.

Pree has a better one that lights both white and red, white for the reverse and red for the brake i think he purchased his from china,

if i was fitting again id fit prees one for better effect. smilie801.gif

Saw that one listed last night so ordered it just now. Sellers away until 2nd Jan so it'll be couple of weeks before its on. Looking forward to doing it :)

• Like 1

Saw that one listed last night so ordered it just now. Sellers away until 2nd Jan so it'll be couple of weeks before its on. Looking forward to doing it :)

Its much easier if you have a dremil mate,

Lidil were doing them 2 weeks ago

i didnt have one when fitting mine and i slipped with the drill ended up having to leave the panel in arklow body shop,

which took them 3 weeks to spray the tiny part and then charge me 50euro :ph34r: i wont be going back their in a hurry :(

I'll be fine Lenny, i have full engineering workshop & tools thankfully. Will enjoy this one :)

• 1 month later...

Just had the sudden urge to do the brake light badge conversion but my car is a MK2 so i won't have to butcher my badge mount.

Am i right in the belief that the back of a MK2 badge has 3 mounting pins as well as a sticky pad and if so do the pins go right through the panel?

If this is the case can i just remove the pins and then pass the cable through one of the holes into the boot panel?

If i can do this then it will save having to drill holes through the boot to run the wires.

Would like to be sure before buying the light. :wacko:

Just had the sudden urge to do the brake light badge conversion but my car is a MK2 so i won't have to butcher my badge mount.

Am i right in the belief that the back of a MK2 badge has 3 mounting pins as well as a sticky pad and if so do the pins go right through the panel?

If this is the case can i just remove the pins and then pass the cable through one of the holes into the boot panel?

If i can do this then it will save having to drill holes through the boot to run the wires.

Would like to be sure before buying the light. :wacko:

the led badge has got little holes for the pins to go through mate,

if you remove the inside panel of the boot door you will see if the badge has pins sticking through the panel,

you could alwas snap the pins and run the cable through the hole then glue the badge to the led section,

they are well worth doing mate, and a great anti-theft modification because how easy would it be to find your car in traffic.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club