Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Or Not?

paulmacbeth

Hi,

I've recently bought a 2009 1.6 tdci focus, and have just received the V5. Is there some way of telling from this if my car has the DPF or not? It shows the bhp as being 109, which makes me think it doesn't as I thought the DPF version was 110bhp?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bung your reg in here and see what it says

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=01806E1F84A401F1BA269671F0985691.fcvas505

Been a while since i looked into this (when i was buying my focus) but i think that it will have a DPF especially as its a 2009.

I was wondering the same thing on my 60 plate 1.6tdci

putting my reg in ford etis does not mention DPF but when i bought the car it was advertised as having dpf?

this comes up on ford etis:

Primary Features

Build Date: 14.09.2010

Vehicle Line: Focus 2008-

Body Style: 5 Door Saloon

Version: Series 40

Engine: 1.6L Duratorq TDCi (110PS) - DV6

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75

Drive: RHD FWD

Emission: Stage V Emissions

Air Conditioning: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C

Territory: (+)"GB"

Paint: Panther Black (Metallic)

Interior Fabric: New York / Ebony

Have a bit of a google search mate but i think, if i remember rightly, that stage 5 emissions means there is a DPF..

Could be wrong though, pretty sure that all the 1.6 TDCI motors that were built after a certain year (maybe 2007/8) all had DPF's.

On etis you can see what it says on the service doc's you can create - Again not sure how accurate this is for the newer models as I was looking into the slightly older models but the replacement was at 75000 miles i think.

Sounds like DPF is fitted to me. 109 = 110BHP by the way, like cc they tend to round these numbers up. Its the 90BHP version that is less likely to have a DPF fitted, although after a certain date (not sure when, early 2009?) I think they all are DPF.

You can look at the VIN plate on your b-pillar:

How Can I Tell If Have A Dpf Fitted To My Focus

I have one on my 60 Plate 1.6 109/110 whatever you wanna call it! lol

AFAIK all euro 5 tdci's have them...

Stage V Equalls coated for life DPF no fluid tank

Jamie

Hi,

That's the exact same engine as mine, mines a 2009 1.6 tdci 109bhp has a DPF with fluid tank refill every 37500 service, also low tax band mines £30 or £35 not sure is another sign it has a DPF.

Thanks Sara, mine is £30 road tax, so sounds like it is the DPF Version.

Thanks.

Road tax does not indicate whether DPF or not, just CO2 emissions. Mine is £30, no DPF fitted.

• Like 1

Interesting? I was told by a ford tech the 109bhp focus 09 onwards had dpf's fitted low emissions hence 30 tax the none dpf version 110bhp is 115 tax.

I had a fiesta 1.6 TDci 90bhp that was 30 tax non dpf this was also in some focus's is that the engine in yours Graham?

Hi,

That's the exact same engine as mine, mines a 2009 1.6 tdci 109bhp has a DPF with fluid tank refill every 37500 service, also low tax band mines £30 or £35 not sure is another sign it has a DPF.

Hi

How can you tell if its a fluid refill DPF ? Im trying to find out if mine is this or the coated version , think its the coated as my car is a stage V?

Hi, I took mine back to ford main dealer as i'd just bought the car and the engine warning light came on, this forum advised me of the refill at 37500k mine had just done 39900k and no mention in the service history of additive refill, ford said the tank was full and the fault was low fuel?

Also if you call a main dealer and give them the details of the car they will tell you what type of dpf is fitted and if it requires an additive. I did and mines an additive version. 

I have since found out it is a small white tank at the rear near the fuel tank but I've not looked myself. 

Hope this helps. 

Interesting? I was told by a ford tech the 109bhp focus 09 onwards had dpf's fitted low emissions hence 30 tax the none dpf version 110bhp is 115 tax.

I had a fiesta 1.6 TDci 90bhp that was 30 tax non dpf this was also in some focus's is that the engine in yours Graham?

Yup, 08 Focus 1.6TDCi 90bhp, non DPF, £30 tax. The DPF doesn't help with CO2 AFAIK, it removes particlulates which are carcinogenic.

The pre-2008 models could only manage group D (£95 per yr), perhaps that's what your Ford tech was thinking of. When they facelifted the Mk2, they tweaked the performance for lower emissions.

I could be wrong but I think the maintenance-free DPF was fitted to the Mk3 Focus only?

Yup, 08 Focus 1.6TDCi 90bhp, non DPF, £30 tax. The DPF doesn't help with CO2 AFAIK, it removes particlulates which are carcinogenic.

The pre-2008 models could only manage group D (£95 per yr), perhaps that's what your Ford tech was thinking of. When they facelifted the Mk2, they tweaked the performance for lower emissions.

I could be wrong but I think the maintenance-free DPF was fitted to the Mk3 Focus only?

Hi Graham, the 90bhp 1.6tdci engine is great, it went like a rocket in the fiesta, I’m disappointed with the engine in mine it doesn’t pull that willing even though it has 29bhp more, I was told that I should of gone for the 1.8 tdci its a more reliable engine better performance and no DPF but at the time the low tax was the clincher for me but that’s a false economy because of the dpf change at 75000 costing £1500+ from ford main dealer all that tax money i saved i'm blowing on the 75000 miles service, lovely!

• Like 1

its a much older engine design though... and you wont get anywhere near as good mpg with the 1.8.... i know i had one!! lol

its a much older engine design though... and you wont get anywhere near as good mpg with the 1.8.... i know i had one!! lol

Not that good then lol

Hi Graham, the 90bhp 1.6tdci engine is great, it went like a rocket in the fiesta, I’m disappointed with the engine in mine it doesn’t pull that willing even though it has 29bhp more, I was told that I should of gone for the 1.8 tdci its a more reliable engine better performance and no DPF but at the time the low tax was the clincher for me but that’s a false economy because of the dpf change at 75000 costing £1500+ from ford main dealer all that tax money i saved i'm blowing on the 75000 miles service, lovely!

Sorry to hear that, and mine is in a Focus estate so its lugging a bit more weight around and I've got no complaints about performance. Its easily as quick if not quicker as my last car, a 1.8 petrol Audi. I was worried the 90 would be underpowered compared to the 110, but the lack of DPF swung it for me and a test drive confirmed the performance was fine, especially in these days of light-footed driving. I had an engine fault the other day which resulted in no turbo boost, but it seems to be ok now.

I considered the 1.8tdci but yes, its a bit of an old clunker. Perhaps by the time you get to the 75k service, aftermarket parts will mean a non-franchised garage could do the job a lot cheaper.

The 1.6TDCi does need regular (8000mile) oil changes with fully synthetic or there's a danger the turbo oil feed pipes will gunk up and kill the turbo, so if you're intending to keep it for a few years its worth bearing that in mind.

Ok thanks for the info, my car oil service is every 12500 seems a long time to me. i do get cars services as per the service book and always at my local main ford dealer i know it's more money but they treat me well the car is always cleaned inside and out and they have never ripped me off but it helps that i know one off the service staff. :)

Thanks for all the replies on this one.

I've finally managed to confirm that mine does have the DPF, but it's the regenerating version, which does not need topped up with fluid. My style of driving (20-25 miles of motorway cruising per day) should ensure that it regenerates properly and hopefully lasts beyond the stated 75,000 miles.

• 9 years later...

How will i no if my dpf fluid is low in my dpf tank will my fault pick that up