Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Aux Heater

focus3man

hi

now we seem to be getting the winter weather, i was looking on my new 2.0 diesel titanium for the auxillary heater.

on my last focus diesel when the weather was cold enough the aux heater would come on if the heater was set to max.

on the info panel under the speedo and tacho the message would tell you the aux heater was on.

does anyone know if the new focus has a similar setup and how to get it to work with auto climate.

thanks

Hi, are you sure you aren't confusing the auxillary heater with that of a supplementary one? We don't normally have the auxillary heater fiited to our cars in the uk, otherwise known as the parking heater. The parking heater operates independently of the vehicle heater by heating the engines coolant circuit. It is fed from the vehicle fuel tank. You can also use it while the vehicle is in motion to help the vehicle heater warm up the interior more quickly.

The supplementary heater only comes on when the outside temperature is cold enough, as diesels don't warm up as quickly as petrol engines. It is a in-line electrical heating element, otherwise known as a PTC heater, placed within the heating system. My Mk4 Mondeo had the same, but to kick it into life I had the set the CC to 'Hi', or max demist, but there was never a warning light.

Chris

hi cuke

yes thats the one but on my facelift mk 2 it actually came up on the dash to say the auxillary heater was on.

at the time i asked the dealers about the timer setting on it but the timer bit was not a uk option.

i will try tomorrow if it is as cold as what they say it will be.

thanks

Hi, you'll not find a timer, and neither a warning lamp. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough what the supplementary heater is...

Chris

Hi

The Electric heater is a small element that warms the air.

It is activated when turning the Temperature to MAX

It Uses electricity so make sure your engine is running or a fat Blattery will occur (haha) (Flat Battery)

The Reason for the electric backup is because Diesel engines take ages to warm up and because we dont have the winters like they have in scandinavia etc etc we dont need the engine block heater.

Jamie

Hi, the heater doesn't operate until the engine is running, to prevent a flat battery :)

Chris

Hi

It does operate when the engine is off because i just tested mine

I found out by mistake because i was parked up with the heater still on max and warmish air was coming through.

The heated seats and heated rear screen work with the engine off as well

Jamie

Hi

It does operate when the engine is off because i just tested mine

I found out by mistake because i was parked up with the heater still on max and warmish air was coming through.

The heated seats and heated rear screen work with the engine off as well

Jamie

Hi, perhaps we are both correct, taken from the Focus manual:

"Diesel auxiliary heater

(depending on country)

The diesel auxiliary heater (PTC

electrical heater) aids in warming the

engine and the vehicle interior on

vehicles with a diesel engine. It is

switched on or off automatically

depending on the outside air

temperature, the coolant

temperature and the alternator load."

:D :D :D

Chris

lol :-)

A great compromise.

although with your car does any of the above work without the engine being on

Jamie

• 1 month later...

My Mk4 Mondeo had the same, but to kick it into life I had the set the CC to 'Hi', or max demist, but there was never a warning light.

Hi guys, I am from Slovakia and got 11/2007 MK4 from Italy. I have just retrofited cruise control to my car and trying to do the same with PTC heater. <_< Just want to ask you if you have read that already someone has successfully retrofited this feature to his mondeo mk4?

There is only 2 pair of cables. 1 pair trough fuse to battery and 2nd one, . . . have no idea where it goes to. :unsure: B)