Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Ecoboost Fuel Figures?

AlanW

Can someone that has one of these engines give me some real fuel consumption figures please?

Couple of my mates have them and say it runs around 31mpg , I have the 1.6 125bhp and it's on 38mpg with 1600k on clock.

Couple of my mates have them and say it runs around 31mpg , I have the 1.6 125bhp and it's on 38mpg with 1600k on clock.

Thats not as good as I would have hoped!

Yes i expected higher from the eco boost. Driving mine carefull gets a good return though.

Yes i expected higher from the eco boost. Driving mine carefull gets a good return though.

wickwick i believe you have the ti-vct engine which is better at fuel economy anyway provided its driven carefully the ecoboost is the same it makes you think about driving ie feathering the accelerator only using it when you need to driving smoothly and not revving the !Removed! out of it get the revs up and watch that figure dissapear before youre eyes lol

Hi, I get around 26mpg from mine around town, short journey's only. I haven't had chance to take the car on a long run yet, just hit 700 miles on the 1st Dec after getting the car on the 1st Sept :-)

Chris

wickwick i believe you have the ti-vct engine which is better at fuel economy anyway provided its driven carefully the ecoboost is the same it makes you think about driving ie feathering the accelerator only using it when you need to driving smoothly and not revving the !Removed! out of it get the revs up and watch that figure dissapear before youre eyes lol

Yes agree - If I drive normal and don't worry about the Eco side I can get it into 31's per gallon - so 38 - 39 is ok.

hi already posted this the other week but as you asked here is my response

My Focus eco boost 150 does in the high 30's just about all the time unless i really thrash it - done nearly 6000 miles now

I do a mix of miles, work is only 5 miles away plus other miles at weekend evening etc

Easily get early 40's on a 75mph run

just out of interest the other day i set it on cruise at 62mph on the motorway for a couple of hundred miles(it was quiet so i wasn't a road hog before someone says) and the car averaged 48mpg which i think is exceptional. Very boring though, good job it has a good sound system

cheers

Steve

Realy the moral is forget what manufacturers say u wont get the mpg they claim they do the tests in a lab with simulated weather ie a nice warm day and the rest on a flat track the real world has inclines and hills traffic pedestrian crossings each time u slow then accelerate u eat at the mpg if u use lights wipers aircon u eat away even more even the outside temp determines how fuel is burned effecting mpg ure figures are all fine

• 1 month later...

I picked up an s-max 1.6 Ecoboost [start/stop] (160PS) (2 days ago), the car read avg 18.9mpg. I have managed to up this to 31.4mpg.

In the eco menu I see anticipation 5 petal, speed 5 petals but still only getting 4 petals for gear changing. When I get through my first tank of fuel I will give you accurate figures based on actual fuel consumed and miles driven as I find the on-board computers are just a guide.

I am still getting used to the engine and car and expect these figures to climb over the next week or so.

Couple of things I would like to point out which is based on my experience with my previouse cars and that is as follows:

- Tyre pressure - I check my tyres every week, and adjust when taking load (worth investing in a portable unit).

- Winter - This time of year I find my avg mpg drops due to the cold starts even with long runs, you will see this figure improve in the summer.

I picked up an s-max 1.6 Ecoboost [start/stop] (160PS) (2 days ago), the car read avg 18.9mpg. I have managed to up this to 31.4mpg.

In the eco menu I see anticipation 5 petal, speed 5 petals but still only getting 4 petals for gear changing. When I get through my first tank of fuel I will give you accurate figures based on actual fuel consumed and miles driven as I find the on-board computers are just a guide.

I am still getting used to the engine and car and expect these figures to climb over the next week or so.

Couple of things I would like to point out which is based on my experience with my previouse cars and that is as follows:

- Tyre pressure - I check my tyres every week, and adjust when taking load (worth investing in a portable unit).

- Winter - This time of year I find my avg mpg drops due to the cold starts even with long runs, you will see this figure improve in the summer.

Thanks for this, I had a phone call this afternoon to say that mine is now at the dealers. So fingers crossed I should have it by the end of the month.

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm a few tanks in mostly motorway but still only seeing returns around the 30mpg mark. I did one run super efficient and saw the AVG MPG reach 41mpg (95 octane fuel) but were talking 60mph on a clear motorway and full marks on the eco menu.

I decided to see what difference a higher octane fuel will have on these figures and was surprised to see the MPG values along the motorway are much more encouraging.

My wife is using the car more so I have yet to do a full tank on the 97 octane but I am interested to see what the fuel figures are with my wife driving around town for now.

I'm hoping with the 97 octane fuel to get approaching 35mpg which makes it worthwhile.

Slightly off topic, but a guide to the Focus on board computer MPG. (1.8 Petrol Estate).

This weekend I had the opportunity to check the MPG display accuracy against the maths.

240 miles on A & B roads fully laden, over 4 days (1.8 Petrol)

On-board computer = 40 MPG

Maths with (fill to fill) = 41.5MPG

Pretty close considering all the variables.

The car computer is close enough for me.

OK, I'm a few tanks in mostly motorway but still only seeing returns around the 30mpg mark. I did one run super efficient and saw the AVG MPG reach 41mpg (95 octane fuel) but were talking 60mph on a clear motorway and full marks on the eco menu.

I decided to see what difference a higher octane fuel will have on these figures and was surprised to see the MPG values along the motorway are much more encouraging.

My wife is using the car more so I have yet to do a full tank on the 97 octane but I am interested to see what the fuel figures are with my wife driving around town for now.

I'm hoping with the 97 octane fuel to get approaching 35mpg which makes it worthwhile.

I'll be keen to hear your results on this. But just to add, I know for a fact that that my Mondeo ST diesel gave me much MPG when it was run on the more expensive diesel, and further more, was more efficient running on premium brand fuel as opposed to supermarket fuels.

• 2 weeks later...

With 500 miles on the clock now, I am bang on 38mpg, hopefully once the engine has loosened up a bit more it should increase?

• 3 weeks later...

930 miles on the clock now, up to 39mpg, but life is so boring!!

Hi, how can driving a 1.6 ecoboost mk3 focus be boring. My suggestion is to turn off the mpg display and wring the neck out of the thing, it makes such a beautiful noise...

Chris

ive gotta agree with cuke these cars tivcts dont have great economy compared to some cars these days 34-40 is likely the best youll get from official real world figures so sit back and use the throttle a bit

Hi, I dunno I found that I can get over 50mpg by driving it reasonable slow, but I don't worry about things like that I just love the sound the exhaust makes, even if it is false...

Chris

ive had that on the motorway but thats it

930 miles on the clock now, up to 39mpg, but life is so boring!!

I have the 1.6 125bhp titanium and get 31mpg ? Lol

Hi, how can driving a 1.6 ecoboost mk3 focus be boring. My suggestion is to turn off the mpg display and wring the neck out of the thing, it makes such a beautiful noise...

Chris

I didnt think that you could turn the mpg display off, unless you mean set it to another reading, say avg speed?

Hi, maybe not but just turn it off in your head, I know that fuel is expensive but cars are much more economical than they were years ago however some seem to be so obsessed with it. For someone who does alot of mileage I agree it must cost a fortune but it is the government they should be having pop at for the rip off taxation we have to pay for the banks mistakes.

Chris

I have been trying to get the most out of my 1.6 ecoboost 160 in my s-max and just completed a weekend drive into scotland (1100 miles in total) in 2 tanks which worked out at 40MPG which considering it was 99% motorway driving I should have been reaching the higher cycle of around 49.6MPG.

However this is up from the really poor figures I was getting when I first got the car which was returning just 30MPG and would only get near 35+ if I drove at 50MPH on the motorway.

So how did I go from 30 to 40... well firstly 97RON over the cheaper 95 made a much bigger difference than I was expecting.

And this was the real kick in the teeth... all my tyres (from the ford garrage) were well under the spec'ed minimum (all of them were at the same level), why the hell was the dealer handing me a car with poorly inflated tyres which I hear could be dangerous let alone produce rubbish fuel figures.

So other than the usual drive carefully remember to check your tyre pressure and the fuel can make a difference for these engines.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club