Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time To Reach Normal Temperature

lipso

was wondering how long does it normally take for a 1.8 tddi diesel focus to reach normal temperature (temp gauge in middle position) from cold. I go for about 8 miles in this cold weather before the needle is in mid position.

My previous petrol cars took about 3 miles.

Diesels take longer than petrols to warm up, I would say 8 miles is about normal

Diesels take longer than petrols to warm up, I would say 8 miles is about normal

Yeah your right there, it takes mine about 8 miles at normal driving.

Mine takes about that time/distance too, all previous diesels I owned always took longer to warm up than petrol cars (so it also took longer for the heater to get warm too!)

I think it's a characteristic of diesel engines - one reason they're more economical is that less of the energy they produce is wasted as heat.

I think it's a characteristic of diesel engines - one reason they're more economical is that less of the energy they produce is wasted as heat.

I heard it was also down to the diesel engines being cast iron, not aluminium, so it takes longer to warm up...

Hi tdcist

I thought our engines (1.6tdci) were all alloy or alloy block cast head or vice versa. :ph34r:

Jamie :-)

Pass... i dont know enough about this engine yet lol!

ours might be, but i know the older ones were cast iron or something suitably heavy, and I remember being told that was one of the reasons for the slow warm up.... but i can also believe the efficiency side of things, which makes perfect sense! lol

• Like 1

ure cool :-)

you dont know where i can get dynamat or brownbread cheap do you

Jamie

amazon sell dynamat, whether its cheapest or not i dont know, also In-Car Express...

The usual lot will sell it too, like Demon Tweeks etc...

Brownbread.... Here

8 Miles to warm up sounds about right on a diesel, thats about whats my car takes to warm up.

As far as I know the 1.6 TDCI engine is all alloy.

Have to agree it takes longer due to diesels running cooler when the outside temp realy drops it can take longer as the thermostat barely opens when it does its being cooled by the rad straight away

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club