Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Petrol Advice/running Costs

Redspudder

Hi All

First post on the Fiesta forum.My wife currently has a 55plate focus titanium 1.6 petrol that we bought new,my kids are now out of the pushchair so we have decided to downsize after looking round at various cars we have decided on the Fiesta 1.4 petrol titanium have a good offer for a deal on buying new(originally was looking at used).I was originally looking at the 1.4diesel engine but it is an extra £1000 to buy and TBH for the mileage she does(mainly around town)i dont think i would get any benifit from the diesel cost wise over the period of us owning the car.But that is what i have posted this thread about.

Looking for some advice from current owners of both petrol and the diesel 1.4 engines running cost wise MPG servicing costs ect,i know there is a £100 difference in the annual tax so that in affect is £300 of that £1000 above over a 3 year period.Also thinking of getting the car on ford options we did that on the focus but decided to keep it after the 3 year period its now 6years old and time to downsize.The focus has done exactly what it says on the tin got x2 kids in (in the boot!!) pushchairs in boot shopping ect my only complaint on the car is that it only averages 29MPG we are forever filling it up (or what feels like we are).

So any advice on the fiesta will be gratefully received probably going to decide by the weekend if we are going to buy but i am 75% leaning towards it.

Cheers

Andy

Might sound mad but the 1.6 petrol fiesta is surprisingly frugal ours hasnt dropped below 40mpg since we got it on a run returns 50mpg +.

1.4 petrol strugles to match it on economy we had a test drive and found it lacking a bit of poke and refinement.

1.4 and 1.6 diesel ive had not experience of but generally diesels dont like short journeys.

factor in what sort of journeys youl be doing and go for the 1.6 petrol or derv accordingly.

I have a Fiesta 1.4 Titanium (petrol) and average 46 to 47 MPG over varied driving conditions over the last 16K miles.

I have a 16tdci , would never have a 1.4tdci as i feel this would be gutless , however just my opinion , also the 1.6tdci is only £30 tax too ,i get about 54 to 63 miles a gallon depends on journey and if using cruise control , looking back also a diesel is much easier to drive around town , just use the clutch only for moving and stopping in traffic , no throttle needed

also the 1.6tdci is only £30 tax too

For my 1.6 TDCI the road tax was only £20

Cheers

Rog

Thanks for the replies so far,I understand the diesel will be a bit more economical but £1000 initial layout (difference in price between petrol and diesel.4)is my issue i really dont think i would make that back if we only keep the car for 3years(might keep it longer but im basing the costs on 3years motoring).

I own an Audi A4 2.0Tdi S-line and this will be the main family car for long journeys days out ect so the main thing the fiesta will be used for is round town taking kids to school wife to work ect ect would be very rarely used on long journeys and this is the reason im looking at the 1.4 petrol.

For my 1.6 TDCI the road tax was only £20

Cheers

Rog

correct

101-110g CO2 is £20 a year

1.6 90PS - 109g CO2 - £20

1.6 95PS - 107g CO2 - £20

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

be glad its not a ferrari enzo (545g CO2) - £450 per year!

I own the 1.4 petrol, average on my usual 20 mile drive to work (which is a small motorway blast of about 5 miles, dual carraigeway of about 5 but is usually down to about 20-30mph and then the rest is a slowish crawl to work)

Average 43.9 mpg

When cruising on the motorway can easily get over 50mpg

The engine is very refined despite what someone said above... when your doing 70 you can't hear it (Revs are at 3k but you'd never know the car is so refined!) and it has a nice tone when your going up through the gears

It's very pokey for the size too

Very pleased with it :)

looking back also a diesel is much easier to drive around town , just use the clutch only for moving and stopping in traffic , no throttle needed

Petrol does it too, 5mph in 1st and 10mph in second, in 3rd it stalls!

If it's not going to be used on motorways/dual carriage ways often I'd possibly look at the 1.25l. The 82ps version is only a bit behind of the performance of the 1.4 (96ps) and is marginally cheaper to insure/tax - Should see better MPG returns round town too. However you can't get this engine in titanium trim, but you can spec a zetec to titanium standards these days though. I've heard mixed reviews of the 1.4l, but never had the pleasure of driving one to comment. It how good of an offer you have too.

Fiesta Zetec 1.25l (82ps)

OTR: £12,195

Top Speed: 104 MPH

0-60: 13.3 seconds

Urban MPG: 38.2 MPG

Extra Urban MPG: 62.8 MPG

Combined MPG: 50.4 MPG

Tax: 1st year free, £90 per year after

Insurance group: 6 (old system: 4)

Fiesta Titanium 1.4l (96ps)

OTR: £13,995

Top Speed: 109 MPH

0-60: 12.2 seconds

Urban MPG: 37.2 MPG

Extra Urban MPG: 60.1 MPG

Combined MPG: 48.7 MPG

Tax: £110 per year

Insurance group: 9 (old system: 5)

I wouldn't trust official figures too much though, but just for comparison. More figures: http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-fiesta-guide.asp

The 1.4 does everything I need it to do, it's quiet and refined and I regularly average 45mpg on my work commute through Cardiff city centre :) Very happy with it.

I'm doing about 300 miles a week going through some really steep hills in Devon to Taunton. I've found this fiesta really fun to drive, can't say it'll out run a bmw down here but it does do well otherwise. If i was doing this trip longer than 1 year i would of got the diesel. I'm currently getting about 38-39 miles per gallon and i try to keep in 4th to 5th gear staying at 60mph when trying to save fuel. It's quiet but does feel like your on rails when on a bad road and bumps are harsh on 16" 195/45 tires. When on a new, soft road it is really quiet.

I'd recommend getting the Fiesta because it's one of the few that can still pull off that sport look for a super mini. Maintenance wise well apart from normal road hazards such as tires and cracks in windscreen it's pretty low so far.

When i drove a courtesy car from Ford 1.25L Ford Fiesta compared to my Fiesta 1.4L Titanium 5 dr i only noticed a very small difference but the extra push speed uphill helps.