Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommend A Dtc / Obdii Code Reader

simba

relating my other thread:

i am going to get a reader to check what the DTC code is that is coming up as the ESP light is coming on and want to potentially avoid a silly garage bill if its a false code.

i dont know about these readers so what about this, its not expensive but dont know what the difference is between models.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trou...4026958&sr=1-1

what specifics should i look out for other than being able to reset the codes...

Please review this thread, there was a bit of discussion on it here

Its always best to do a quick forum search, as most the time a question similar has been asked :)

Basically it depends what you want from a code reader.

You can get the following (jeebo defined / approved types :))-

Fools Gold - reads codes, and tells you what they are.

Bronze - reads codes, resets the Engine Management Light

Silver - Reads codes, resets the EML (above), resets DTC Codes, may display a few sensor readings

Gold - Does all of silver, will display a lot of live readings, can view sensor data on the go, and can possibly / probably record data also.

Basically it depends what you want, you can get a standard code reader, hand held unit to do the above, or you can buy a USB connector, and get software for your Laptop, so that you can do it all on the laptop - benefit of that is you can record snapshots and do a lot more. Benefits of the handheld is the ability to have portable access to this information any time :) it depends on what budget you want, but to be fair, I think you could get a silver product for a few quid.

Review the link above and see if its any help :)

Please review this thread, there was a bit of discussion on it here

Its always best to do a quick forum search, as most the time a question similar has been asked :)

Basically it depends what you want from a code reader.

You can get the following (jeebo defined / approved types :))-

Fools Gold - reads codes, and tells you what they are.

Bronze - reads codes, resets the Engine Management Light

Silver - Reads codes, resets the EML (above), resets DTC Codes, may display a few sensor readings

Gold - Does all of silver, will display a lot of live readings, can view sensor data on the go, and can possibly / probably record data also.

To be honest I'm not sure how advanced a unit I should get.

Main thing is I would like to find out what the fault means and to be able to reset it to see if it reappears ... Probably not looking at anything expensive £20-30 maybe...

Basically it depends what you want, you can get a standard code reader, hand held unit to do the above, or you can buy a USB connector, and get software for your Laptop, so that you can do it all on the laptop - benefit of that is you can record snapshots and do a lot more. Benefits of the handheld is the ability to have portable access to this information any time :) it depends on what budget you want, but to be fair, I think you could get a silver product for a few quid.

Review the link above and see if its any help :)

To be honest I'm not sure how advanced a unit I should get.

Main thing is I would like to find out what the fault means and to be able to reset it to see if it reappears ... Probably not looking at anything expensive £20-30 maybe...

Hi Simba,

To be honest, you could get that sort of thing from ebay, bronze / silver quality :)

I will do a quick search now...

OK so middle of your price range:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Car-Diagnostic-OBD-II-Engine-Oil-Fault-Live-Code-Reader-Eraser-Scanner-Tool-/280790525764?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item41606b6744

Heres a search of ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?Item%2520Subtype=Code%2520Reader&Suitable%2520For=Ford&LH_ItemCondition=11&LH_Price=..30%40c&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5698&rt=nc&_nkw=OBDII+Code+reader&_dmpt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Basically you have two options, buy what fits, or buy what you think offers the best value for money.

buy what you think might give you the best features that you may find useful :)

To be fair, if I had the same budget (mine is about £25-30 less than yours lol) I would consider the one above :)

has anybody on here got the bluetooth obd2 scanner and used the toque app on their smart phone. i used this on my previous car, a leon cupra and it was great as you could do various things with it, data logging, fault code erasing, etc.

torque forum here: http://torque-bhp.com/forums/

bluetooth obd2 scanner : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-V1-5-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-UK-/220889426250?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item336e09294a

Never heard of that one I have to say! sounds good if you can get the app though!

Theres two,

One is in the "coin scully" (knee height, driver door side of the steering wheel, just at the top of the recess, you could run your fingers along and feel the bump.)

Thats the easiest to get too, as rules say that the driver must be able to easily reach one.

There is another, I think its next to or within the fusebox in the engine bay...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club