Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci - Do I Have A Dpf?

Mad85

Hi I bought a 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI (mark 2). I would like to know if mine is fitted with a dpf. Mainly I would like to know where I should find it? I have taken a look underneath and cannot see anything along the exhaust pipe. Is it fitted very close to the engine, in a vertical way? Now, if I do have a DPF, how do I replenish the EOLYS176 fluid? I would like to do it myself for one simple reason: My local dealer asked me 800eur just to refill the fluid (no, it does not include the dpf filter replacement!). I know there are a few posted related to this but none describe where to look for :) Please help!!

Mark

800 EUROS!!!!! :o :blink: :o

Christ should be about 100/150 MAX from what i've gathered reading on here.

Best way to find out imho is to contact your local Ford Dealership and give them your plate/vin number and they should be able to tell if it has a DPF (I believe it will have) and then if its a maintenance free one (not requiring fluid topup) or not.

heard its a seperate tank by the fuel tank - you may be able to see it looking under the car - although im not sure.

Ok, go to the rear of the car and look underneath, there will be a small tank about a foot from the rear of the car with 3 hoses coming out of it - this is the additive tank

Your DPF comes in a cat/dpf combo unit - so if you find your turbo, look for the massive metallic tube coming from one side of it and leading to your exhaust system, that's where your DPF (worst nightmare) is.

I got 5 litres of eoyls and a refill kit from click car parts for about £100 http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk/p/diesel_particulate_filters~13/ - give them a call as their site is pretty useless.

To top it up,

jack the rear of the car

take off the drivers rear wheel

release the quick release hose clip - the one hanging freely pointing down

making sure you have a drip tray underneath as it will make a mess

Take off the clip at the top of the tank leaving the quick release off and over the drip tray

attach your refill kit + bottle to the top pipe then lift the bottle so it is as high as possible in your wheel arch

you will hear it *glugging so you know it's emptying into the tank

wait for fluid to start coming out of the quick release

put the cap back over the quick release and try to get as much fluid in as possible

re-attach the clip to the input pipe

there's some hocus pocus you can do with the fuel filler cap, but you're better off taking it to fords and asking if they'll do a quick reset of your counters - the guy at ford did mine for free as it's a two second jobbie

hope that helps as it took me forever to figure it out

oh and that site is good for a dpf replacement, although it can be a bit of a different shape to the stock one which makes a slight pain when getting it to fit

Hey, Thanks a lot for your response. I have found my DPF ( :( ). I also bought a refill kit online. its actually a Volvo kit but the specifications look the same. Will try to do it next week. Will let you know if I ruin my car :) In the mean time, thanks again!!

Some Volvos have the same engine so you should be good to go, the dpf is to the left of your turbo, to the right is your intercooler pipe, just to be clear

Good luck, you cant really go wrong with top Ups, just make sure you wear gloves as it stains your skin for a couple of days if you get it on you

Some Volvos have the same engine so you should be good to go, the dpf is to the left of your turbo, to the right is your intercooler pipe, just to be clear

Good luck, you cant really go wrong with top Ups, just make sure you wear gloves as it stains your skin for a couple of days if you get it on you

Hey, thanks again!! I have spoken to a private garage who has worked on these engines both in tdci and hdi form. He told me that he usually deals with DPFs by taking it out, drill a hole right through it and put it back in - that way the ECU does not realise the DPF has been "bypassed". He told me I would gain power and fuel economy by this so I am thinking I will go this way

He also told that whenever he has to remove the DPF, he also eliminates or maybe replaces the oil filter inside the banjo bolt. Apparently its the main cause of oil starvation to the turbo which of course, causes turbo failure. If I commit to do oil changes every 6000miles, using premium fully synthetic 5w30 oil - would it be safe to remove that filter??

...any opinions??

Remove the DPF at your own risk...

I spent many a moon looking into this, and there are several consquences should you get caught - so just beware! plus removing the DPF with no sort of remap, and only drilling it out means that the engine is still outputting higher emissions, and as such you may fail an emissions test and be shot in the gonads by a dealer / MOT person who fails your car, and if VOSA do any spot checks on your car... you will most certainly be out of luck!

I spent many a moon looking into this, and there are several consquences should you get caught - so just beware! plus removing the DPF with no sort of remap, and only drilling it out means that the engine is still outputting higher emissions, and as such you may fail an emissions test and be shot in the gonads by a dealer / MOT person who fails your car, and if VOSA do any spot checks on your car... you will most certainly be out of luck!

Hmm, very good to know... i will check about the remap... thanks for now

Agreed!

If you remove a DPF, you MUST have it mapped out.. otherwise, the ECU will try to regenerate, and there is nothing there to regen... EML city lol!! Plus your engine is mapped to suit all the restrictions in the exhaust system (Turbo, Cat, DPF, Silencers etc) any restriction removed will affect back pressure, which in turn will affect performance, emmission and MPG...

Also the remap will improve your performance, emissions etc, an set the car up for the changes you have made. Also as the new MOT regs have lowered the smoke test values, this may end you in trouble if you dont do this!

• 1 year later...

HI, Just a little update. I have had my focus' dpf removed, replaced with a CAT-only unit i grabbed from eBay and had it remapped with a performance boost. the old girl feels much better now, much more responsive - much more pleasing to drive. Although recently it is feeling a bit sluggish again. Not a reliable engine this 1.6tdci :( . Also note that since I had to have most of the front part of the car remove I also changed the turbo oil feeder and banjo bolts which are notorious Achilles heel of the turbo on this engine!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club