Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Essex V6 Block Type Difference To Cologne?

Wofforduk

Hi all

I hope someone may know before i go out and spend loads - im after a bit of cheeky advice.

I have a speedboat with the essex v6 which has seen better days, not revving and oil issues. I was wondering if a re-engine would be possible and if so if anyone knows the best engine - be it a cologne? idealy it would be GREAT to have the same flywheel bolts, exhaust manis and mounting bolts but i know im dreaming. does anyone know the differences in the blocks? i know i will have to cater for EFI and others - but thats not a problem yet! :)

looking for something around 150hp.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Will

Hi Will,

I'm not an expert just yet by any means I've still got plenty of learning to do however i do know of a couple of differences.

The biggest difference i know of is that the essex v6 has, on each cylinder head, 2 inlet and 3 exhaust ports. The cologne v6 has 3 inlet ports and two exhaust ports.

As far as I'm aware it should have the same flywheel bolt pattern and they also both have the same bell housing so if your speedboat uses somesort of gearbox and it is the standard essex bell housing fitting then it will fit the cologne.

Again I might be wrong but I think the cologne also changed from rotor arm and points ignition to electronic ignition.

Alternatively there are some essex v6s on eBay atm for about £150 and they are pretty solid engines although I'm not sure how well they cope with being constantly high on the revs.

Did the boat come with the v6 when it was first made?

Hi CJD

Thanks for your reply, its all fairly new stuff - im more at home with the rover v8s!

I didnt realise they could bolt straight on - so i bit the bullet and am mid way through rebuilding the essex block.. yes it could cost me more than 150, but at least ill know that it should be sound inside!

It is a jet boat - and the jet drive is set up to take a few different engines - this being one of them! if you know little speed boats - they were very common in the bikini dateline boats - and used to fly at 50 mph!

Many thanks for your help!

Will

• 2 years later...

If you still have the Essex V6 you can fit it with a fuel injection kit to boost your power output.

If you don't have, you can also fit a double weber carburettor

Later Essex V6's have been increased to 3 400 cc and there is also a better crankshaft.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club