Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Tdci - Stalls On Cold Days

Tom Cotton

I've got a 03 plate 1.4 TDCi fiesta which stalls within the first half mile or so on cold days. I turn the key to position 2, wait 10 secs and dont see any glow plug indicator light, start the engine (no probs), then pull up the the end of the road, press the brake, then take my foot off the brake and the rev needle dips (this always happens but it usualy recovers), on cold days the needle drops too low and the engine stalls.I've replaced the glow plugs and tested the old ones (all were working) but this is still happening. Can I test the glow plug relay with a multi meter?

Hello and welcome,

Have you tested to see if the glow plugs are getting 12v?

When i had this, it was the start of the High Pressure Diesel Pump failing... best to get it checked now, before it wipes out your injectors and fuel system!

Would the high pressue pump only affect cold days?? Yes glow plugs are getting 12. Is it normal to never ever see the glow plug light on dash? I can see it on the lights test so I know the bulb is working.

See... I thought the same as you... but i can only presume that the cold temperature made everything contrct just enough to cause issues... once the car was warm the issue went away..

This for me started last year, then once spring came the issue dissapeared.. it came back this year, then the car died... The dealer reckoned it could have been the pump on its way out, which was made worse by the cold weather.

Another thing it could be is your fuel filter... Do you know when it was last changed??

When i had this, it was the start of the High Pressure Diesel Pump failing... best to get it checked now, before it wipes out your injectors and fuel system!

That would be number one culprit on my list, though its difficult to diagnose until it fails.

That would be number one culprit on my list, though its difficult to diagnose until it fails.

Yup! Agreed with that!

Would the high pressue pump only affect cold days?? Yes glow plugs are getting 12. Is it normal to never ever see the glow plug light on dash? I can see it on the lights test so I know the bulb is working.

Diesel is thicker when it's cold esp what you haev sitting in the pipes overnight.

Cheers

Rog

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club