Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unable To Fill Focus With Diesel

james132

Hi All, come back from working in Finland for a week, went to fill the car up last night as it was empty

Put the pump in pulled the trigger and it popped streight back out, which it normally dose when the tank it full,

I obviously tried several times and it actually took about 5 mins to put £10 worth in, every time you pull the trigger it pops back out again as if its full.

It was making a strange 'throathing' sound too, I had a quick look down the filler neck and couldnt see anything bubbly though.

Any ideas what it may be?

• Like 1

Hi, possibly a blocked breather, the displaced air has to come out somehow. On the other hand you might have had a faulty pump handle...

Chris

Mine did that the first time I filled it up. I persevered and brimmed the tank but it took ages!

Hasn't done it again so I don't know if it was the pump or the breather.

I don't know how long it had been since it was last fuelled up before I bought it but I guess the dealer would have had it sitting for a while which sounds like a similar pattern to you?

Cheers

Rog

I had that a couple of months ago...turned out to be a faulty pump as I drove to another filling station and it was able to fuel up without any hassle.

I went back again to the same station but used another pump, same problem, thaught it must be the car if two of the pumps are faulty in the same garage, thaught id try again somewhere else and it worked fine, so must have something wrong with the pumps at the other place perhaps

• Like 1

Mine did that the first time I filled it up. I persevered and brimmed the tank but it took ages!

Hasn't done it again so I don't know if it was the pump or the breather.

I don't know how long it had been since it was last fuelled up before I bought it but I guess the dealer would have had it sitting for a while which sounds like a similar pattern to you?

Cheers

Rog

Mine was low when I went abroard to work (aprox 20miles range in the tank) and it would have stood for 2 weeks whilst I was away. Seems fine now anyway. Still making a throathing type noise when filling though.

• Like 1

Mine was low when I went abroard to work (aprox 20miles range in the tank) and it would have stood for 2 weeks whilst I was away. Seems fine now anyway. Still making a throathing type noise when filling though.

sounds like you have a problem with the tank breather to me.

• Like 1

this has happened to me on a few occasions at Shell down the road from me. what i put it down to is putting the nozzle too far into the car...i say this because when this happened i pulled the nozzle out slightly, works perfectly after...it is possibly the safety device on the nozzle to prevent spilled fuel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club