Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Re-Programing

dave h

Hi all and a happy new year. Can someone please tell me how to re-program the key so it will lock and unlock the car as new battery fitted and still no go. Its a 1998 fiesta ghia X. Many thanks Dave

Hi!

Happy new year!

the remote infra and radio or just radio? may you have some picture from it?

If is the new shape only radio try this:

-Switch ignition ON 4 times in 3 seconds.

-Switch ignition OFF. and remove key

-Programing mode activated for 20 second (LED illuminated). Proceed as follows

-Press unlock or lock button

-Ensure clock LED flashes ( indicates correct programing )

-Wait 2 seconds

-Repeat above if you have more key.

to exit programing mode: Switch ignition ON and wait 20 seconds.

turn ignition OFF remove key and try the remote...

Hi thanks for that but it doesnt work, does anyone know the other way to program it. Thanks Dave

Try this:

-turn ignition switch to position 1.

-wait approximately 10 seconds

-ensure clock LED illuminates.

NOTE: LED illuminates for approximately 5 seconds.

-switch ignition OFF and remove key, while LED illuminated.

-programming mode activated for approximately 20 seconds(LED illuminated)Proceed as fallows:

-point key at receiver(located near interior lamp)

-press and hold unlock button. after approximately 1 second key LED will flash once

-press lock button 3-5 times

-release unlock button

-continue to point key at receiver until LEDs in clock and key have flashed 5 times

-to exit programing mode and extinguish clock LED:

-switch ignition ON and OFF

-wait approximately 20 seconds.

This if your remote have infra as well

Hi Lez, thats the one, Many thanks Dave

Hi Lez, thats the one, Many thanks Dave

i did not know which one you have the first time... for your car have 2 different type. but happy to hear you done it ;)

Hi,

does this work for new shape fiestas too was thinking of buying another remote key of eBay as i only have one remote. sorry for hijacking ur post Dave.

Hi,

does this work for new shape fiestas too was thinking of buying another remote key of ebay as i only have one remote. sorry for hijacking ur post Dave.

the firs one will i think... but if you tel me yours is the MK6 or MK7 the shape changes was in 2008...

Mines an 09 14tdci if i can get one of the remote keys on eBay then hopefully i can get the immobiliser chip programmed on the cheap. i take it theres no easy way of doing this similar to the remote programming. Also i've seen flip (vw) type keys mines just a normal key is there any difference in the key itself on the flip type? Thanks

Mines an 09 14tdci if i can get one of the remote keys on ebay then hopefully i can get the immobiliser chip programmed on the cheap. i take it theres no easy way of doing this similar to the remote programming. Also i've seen flip (vw) type keys mines just a normal key is there any difference in the key itself on the flip type? Thanks

You can add i guess max 4 or 5 key to your car! just need to be same, check the part number on your key, some key different frequencies.

It called key programing, but you programing your car central lock module, with adding a new key...( if you buy a second hand key and you add for your car it still will opening, closing the previous car, or you can just add one key to more cars :D

Mines an 09 14tdci if i can get one of the remote keys on ebay then hopefully i can get the immobiliser chip programmed on the cheap. i take it theres no easy way of doing this similar to the remote programming. Also i've seen flip (vw) type keys mines just a normal key is there any difference in the key itself on the flip type? Thanks

The actual blade (the bit that goes into the barrel) is the same on folding and non-folding keys. However, none of the parts of the keys is actually transferable between the two types of keys.

A key which is truly new to your car needs to be coded to the car by a dealer. The tips above are just for keys which have been forgotten by the car (or vice versa) and will not work with keys that have not previously been coded to the car.

Cheers

Rog

I added a flip key to my car when I bought it.

Make sure the key is brand new and has never been coded before.

Don't go to ford as they will charge about £60 - £80 for a key and about £150 for cutting and coding.

What they don't tell you is that they don't cut and code them but call in a auto locksmith.

Why pay ford when you can cut them out of the loop and go to the locksmith directly.

If you buy one off eBay don't try to get it cut at timpsons or a high street key cutter as they'll refuse to do it.

The auto locksmith will cut and code them for you.

On the MK2 focus you have to add keys via the ODB, they will not add via the ignition like the MK1 could.

I'll add a link to a good key supplier when I get to my PC.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eba34ff7f

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256b0652da

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item23133c2739

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab18422de

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab1842363

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-2008-ONWARDS-NON-FLIP-KEY-/380298007310?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588b87130e

Sorry, don't know if your car takes a Tibbe or a Blade key

If you get one from here - http://myworld.ebay....sid=p4340.l2559 He's as good as gold and stands by his keys. I got mine from him.

Find a good auto locksmith and talk to them nicely and maybe they will give you a good price.

The actual blade (the bit that goes into the barrel) is the same on folding and non-folding keys. However, none of the parts of the keys is actually transferable between the two types of keys.

A key which is truly new to your car needs to be coded to the car by a dealer. The tips above are just for keys which have been forgotten by the car (or vice versa) and will not work with keys that have not previously been coded to the car.

Cheers

Rog

Hmmm, i bought a flip key second hand on eBay and added to my car and i bought a blank blade and cated by code, after adding all perfect , may be my fiesta different then others....

Hi again,

thanks everyone for your advice it's very much appreciated will get one on eBay and take it from there.Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Already posted this elsewhere but thought i'd repost it here for ease of reference.

Just found this reference PATS2 systems and key coding.

I know it refers to MK1/1.5 Focus but i really don't think it would be any different for Ka, Fiesta or Mondeo.

On pages 14/15 it refers to key recoding procedures, number of keys needed and also dtc codes which could be handy for diagnosing starting / immobiliser problems.

e.g

Page 14 has a line referencing ford focus and lists maximum keys allowed on the system and how many are needed for programming via OBD port (procedure #1) or via 2 keys (procedure #3)

Spare Key Programming Using Diagnostic Tools

Procedure #1

Cycle an unprogrammed key in ignition to RUN. Enter Security Access. Select "Ignition Key Code Program."

Disconnect Tools and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds.

Using Programmed Keys

Procedure #3

2 keys required. Cycle key 1 to RUN, then OFF. Cycle key 2 to RUN, then OFF. Cycle new key to RUN.

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/FORD%20PATS.pdf

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club