Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Central Locking

jimbobaggies

Hi,

I have a focus '99 1.6 Zetec 5 door hatch.

Wife came out of work before Christmas and the remote would not work. Changed the remote battery but still not working, so we used the key to unlock front doors, central locking was completely dead, and boot release button would not work. After a bit of a google, I have found that fuse 63 on the back of the fuse box in the glove box had blown. Replaced the fuse, so now the central locking works, but if you press the lock button twice the fuse blows again.

Now I am not 100% sure of what the double press does - assuming deadlock as you would hear a sound from the door when it was working, and indicator lights flash 3 times, so was that immobiliser?

Anyway, just looking for some advise on how to isolate what the actual problem is without an expensive trip to the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Try disconnecting all central locking actuators and then connect them in turn ONE at a time to try and isolate the fault ? Long shot but it might help...............

I have found that fuse 63 on the back of the fuse box in the glove box had blown. Replaced the fuse, so now the central locking works, but if you press the lock button twice the fuse blows again.

Now I am not 100% sure of what the double press does - assuming deadlock as you would hear a sound from the door when it was working, and indicator lights flash 3 times, so was that immobiliser?

Anyway, just looking for some advise on how to isolate what the actual problem is without an expensive trip to the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Double press to where the indicators flash is the deadlocking of the doors.

The immobiliser comes on as soon as you shut the ignition off - that is shown by the red light above the clock flashing.

If the fuse is blowing on double press then it must be the deadlocking cycle that's causing it.

I'd get a auto electrician to have a look at it. It has to be a blown deadlock actuator or a wiring fault.

May be worth investigating the wire loom on each door where it enters each one.

As Tomo2001 says though it's a good idea to check each actuator in turn.

I'd still trust it to an auto electrician though.

Double press to where the indicators flash is the deadlocking of the doors.

The immobiliser comes on as soon as you shut the ignition off - that is shown by the red light above the clock flashing.

If the fuse is blowing on double press then it must be the deadlocking cycle that's causing it.

I'd get a auto electrician to have a look at it. It has to be a blown deadlock actuator or a wiring fault.

May be worth investigating the wire loom on each door where it enters each one.

As Tomo2001 says though it's a good idea to check each actuator in turn.

I'd still trust it to an auto electrician though.

As Stoney871 said, also things to look at - broken/shorted wires in the rubber grommets near the door/boot hinges. Try and pull grommets away and inspect cables here. Also maybe water ingress in one of the actuators - remove the door cards and tailgate cover and check these. Remove wiring connectors and inspect for any signs of corrosion.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club