Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Second Reverse Light Ford Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5

Lenny

looks excellent mate,

the new clear unit looks a little brighter than the left one but this is due to the one on the right having a red bulb still in place giving a little bit of red tint in the unit thus making it look a shade brighter than the left on when a picture is taken.

but they are a pefect match in reality.

also dont purchase a mirror finish red fog bulb because they shine out pink instead of red lol

best results fit a cree red fog light along with the cree reverse ones.

In that picture mate there is no bulb in the new unit lol if you look carefully you can see the bulb hanging down in front of the tyre. Just popped the clear unit in for a quick photo then removed it and put the old red fog unit back in so I never bothered putting the bulb in clear unit.

I know mate meant to say in my previous post I was gonna get a red cree fog bulb. Gonna be about 40quid on bulbs ain't it? lol

I meant to say in my previous post I was gonna get a red cree fog bulb. Gonna be about 40quid on bulbs ain't it? lol

yes around £35 - £40 ive just recently purchased the red cree fog light bulb for mine,

i had a silver red fog light bulb fitted before that but the cree's are defo worth the spend.

For anyone looking for bulb holders just seen these:

MK4 Bulb holder:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c614764b0

MK1/2 Bulb holder:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27c1ec01f3

MK1/2 Plug:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27c182d11f

Grrr these listings have ended and I can't seem to find any more of them. Knew I should have ordered them ages ago :(

Here's the new clear unit compared to the original fog unit. Isn't genuine ford but it does the job

620341_478694162149142_1172635096_o.jpg

290597_478694238815801_1785178458_o.jpg

Nice one mate already seen that though, contacted the seller if they would sell just one of them, and if they happen to have any plugs to go with it.

Can't see any plugs on eBay, messaged round a load of breakers but there's too !Removed! many to message round. Gotta play another waiting game now to see if any will get back to me.

Spoke to that eBay seller, confirms they are not genuine Ford. Part of me is tempted to pay the extra few quid for a genuine unit.

I know mate knew they wasn't genuine ford but to be fair once its in you'd never know the difference. Functions and looks exactly the same, only difference is the markings on the back.

I know mate knew they wasn't genuine ford but to be fair once its in you'd never know the difference. Functions and looks exactly the same, only difference is the markings on the back.

and you would probably be drilling through the markings to fit the second socket anyways. :)

while driving to work this morning i was thinking about the dual reverse lighting etc.

and at the momment when the rear fog light is active and you put the car in to reverse,

bot the red and white light are beaming from the drivers side reverse/fog unit and looks a bit odd.

but while driving in rain and fog this morning,

i came up with this idea

if i was to fit one of the auto off dimmers from Gen labs inside the boot panel and wire it to switch off the fog light when reverse is active,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-DRL-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-AUTO-SWITCH-RELAY-CONTROL-SIDELIGHT-HEADLIGHT-/230841116098?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bf33e5c2

then every time the rear fog light is switched on,

and the car is put in to reverse.

it will turn off the rear fog while reverse is active and then immediately put the red fog back on when the car is not in reverse.

but only when the fog light is switched on as normal inside the car.

and you would probably be drilling through the markings to fit the second socket anyways. :)

Exactly my thinking mate thats why I couldnt be arsed paying 35quid for a genuine unit when I can get an as good as unit for 20quid when I'm only gonna butcher a hole in the back of it with me dremel anyway :P

but while driving in rain and fog this morning,

i came up with this idea

if i was to fit one of the auto off dimmers from Gen labs inside the boot panel and wire it to switch off the fog light when reverse is active,

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bf33e5c2

then every time the rear fog light is switched on,

and the car is put in to reverse.

it will turn off the rear fog while reverse is active and then immediately put the red fog back on when the car is not in reverse.

but only when the fog light is switched on as normal inside the car.

Clever boy as always mate. Very clever indeed ;) I did think the same at one point about it looking odd when both are on, but I dunno when I'll ever actually get round to using my fogs anyway so I'll be alright for now. Hopefully ordering my bulbs this week and fitting it all next week if I'm still outa work.

Gathering up the parts for this myself at the minute...

Got a genuine clear unit a while back for £7 BIN on the bay, and just got a stock one there now complete with bulb and holder to use as a donor unit for a fiver, so I'll still have my old standard one in one piece as well. There's a seller does the plugs on eBay for £3-4 so just need one of those and the 4m of wire now (if I can't find any lying around the shed). Don't think I'll be spending on the Cree bulbs just yet though. I'd find it hard to justify about £40 for bulbs that are so rarely used...especially the fog. Understand that the reverse bulbs would be a massive upgrade, but I'll see how I get on with two standard ones first I think.

PS Lenny, did you get my last PM reply a few days back? I hadn't got the chance to reply to you quickly and I think you may have 'left the conversation' then before I did. Just lookin a quick advisory on puttin the 12V socket in the boot.

Gathering up the parts for this myself at the minute...

Got a genuine clear unit a while back for £7 BIN on the bay, and just got a stock one there now complete with bulb and holder to use as a donor unit for a fiver, so I'll still have my old standard one in one piece as well. There's a seller does the plugs on ebay for £3-4 so just need one of those and the 4m of wire now (if I can't find any lying around the shed). Don't think I'll be spending on the Cree bulbs just yet though. I'd find it hard to justify about £40 for bulbs that are so rarely used...especially the fog. Understand that the reverse bulbs would be a massive upgrade, but I'll see how I get on with two standard ones first I think.

PS Lenny, did you get my last PM reply a few days back? I hadn't got the chance to reply to you quickly and I think you may have 'left the conversation' then before I did. Just lookin a quick advisory on puttin the 12V socket in the boot.

Look foward to the results mate,

3m of cable is enough but its sold in 2m lengths and 3m is required.

I missed your response via pm the last day mate sorry I don't usually do that sort of thing I always respond.

I have gotten todays pm though and responded.

Also shop around for the cree's mate you may get another bargin but I've heard bad reports on buying them directly from china on eBay. They send the cree bulbs but they don't work when fitted.

Clever boy as always mate. Very clever indeed ;) I did think the same at one point about it looking odd when both are on, but I dunno when I'll ever actually get round to using my fogs anyway so I'll be alright for now.

I've purchased a Gen Labs auto off relay today for the rear fog light to switch off while reverse is active,

I'll post again when it arrives and fitted for those who may be interested.

but I've heard bad reports on buying them directly from china on ebay. They send the cree bulbs but they don't work when fitted.

Then they take the pee trying to get out of giving you a refund and you end up raising a case with eBay.

Shopped around and got my cree fog bulb for 9quid so saved a fiver and it actually does work. Just gotta see if my new reverse lights work now when they come.

Decided to get started on this and butchered my new clear unit ready for when the rest of the parts come. My 2 cree reverse bulbs, the bulb holder n the socket are in the post so if I'm lucky I'll have em by friday so then I can just wire it all up and job done.

Till then I've got this ready, leaving it aside over night to dry and I'll be cutting the hole in me bumper tomorrow.

242471_480794558605769_1025580191_o.jpg

Decided to get started on this and butchered my new clear unit ready for when the rest of the parts come. My 2 cree reverse bulbs, the bulb holder n the socket are in the post so if I'm lucky I'll have em by friday so then I can just wire it all up and job done.

Till then I've got this ready, leaving it aside over night to dry and I'll be cutting the hole in me bumper tomorrow

Looks tidy mate.

It'll do. Was a bit annoying and took a while trying to shape it down to get it to meet the unit flush without big gaps round the side. Nearly had nothing left lol

I've purchased a Gen Labs auto off relay today for the rear fog light to switch off while reverse is active,

I'd have been interested, but then I thought I never use my fogs anyway so I'm never really gonna find myself reversing with the fogs on either.

Still a great idea though mate and I may look into getting one at some point anyway.

Bulb holder and socket came today so I've been a busy boy

The results:

2012-08-30170146-1.jpg

Can't really see that good cause it's day light but they are both on. Hopefully the cree reverse bulbs will come tomorrow so I can get rid of the minging standard bulbs and get me sexy white ones in :P

Overall very pleased with this mod and as other have said it's by far the best mod I've done so far :D

UPDATE:

The GenLabs DRLR1 relay unit has arrived today.

Unfortunitly it will be Saturday before I can get time to fit it to the rear fog light and reverse feeds. But I thought id post a brief instruction on the wires and what to connect them to in order for the rear fog to switch off automaticlly while reverse is active.

I will update further with a loom diagram and colour reference of car cables on Saturday.

fitted the auto off relay to the fog light feed yesterday and it works exactly as i expected it to with instant return of the fog light illumination when reverse is not active. this doesnt mean the rear fog is active all of the time, its only active when switched on via the light control switch as normal.

the only difference to the car now is; when the rear fog light is switched on. and the car is put in to reverse the rear fog will go off while the car is in reverse then seamlessly return when reverse is not active.

im happy with the results and to confim the connections for the GenLabs DRLR1 relay.

open the boot and remove contents,

remove panels to access the fog light loom and previously fitted second reverse light loom.

the fog loom is green/yellow positive feed then black for negative.

the second reverse feed should be red positive and black negative.

locate the middle of the rear fog loom inside the panel around 3 inches from the floor of the car and snip the loom completly in half ie. one snip of the cable.

then using a GenLabs DRLR1

take the rear fog line that leads down from the front of the car and connect:

red feed on drlr1 to green/yellow line from fog switch

black feed on drlr1 to black feed that is next to the previous one leading from fog switch to the light.

locate the red positive feed for the reverse and do not snip through the cable, instead use a stanley blade and pare a section of the sleeving to expose some copper terminal then wrap the gray feed from the drlr1 around the exposed copper section and seal with some electrial tape.

then take the other end of the fog loom that leads to the actual fog light bulb;

connect the yellow feed on drlr¹ to green/yellow line feeding to the fog light,

connect the blue feed on drlr1 to the black line feeding to the fog light,

@ Brigante

Can I ask where you sourced these from??

Cheers,

Nitemare.

@ Brigante

Can I ask where you sourced these from??

Cheers,

Nitemare.

From the same place that was linked earlier in the thread

Plug

http://www.ebay.co.u...em=170906965682

Bulb holder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180965125409

But the parts you will need will be different mate cause yours is the facelift

Cheers m8,

I've already sourced the lamp for my MK2.5 from earlier in thread, thanks!! So just need bulb holder and socket to add to loom.

Nitemare.

Think I might have a go at this mod. Seems simple and effective

Lenny, any chance of a video of that working mate?