Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Second Reverse Light Ford Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5

Lenny

Guide to fitting an additional Reverse light and clear lens fog unit to your focus,

this Guide is now available in PDF Format making it even easier to follow because you can print it out and keep it to hand.

additional Reverse Light.pdf

The Following Materials are required

Fabric Car Loom Tape Click Here

FLAME RETARDANT Insulation Tape Click Here

Twin Core 15Amp 12V DC Cable 4 Metres Required Click Here

Focus Mk2.5 LHD Reverse Unit, FINIS1505706 Part Number: 8M5115500 AB Click Here

Bulb Socket Connector From a Focus Mk2 or Mk2.5 Breakers Yard

Additional ReverseBulb P21w BA-15s or Cree Q5 bulbs Click Here

Red lens fog light bulb P21w BA-15s or Cree Q5 Bulb Click Here

Image1.png

Image2.png

To Begin this Modification on your ford focus,

ensure the car is in a parked position with the handbrake engaged and the keys are in your pocket,

Then lie down under the rear bumper behind the driver's side right hand side of the car,

put one hand at either side of the fog light unit and squeeze the clips towards the centre of the light and gently push out towards the rear of the vehicle.

The unit will pop out of place, once it has then gently remove the fog light bulb socket from the casing and bring the casing to your bench or work area that you have setup the rest of the equipment on.

Image3.png

Image4.png

Once the unit has been successfully removed from the rear of the car, set up the Dremel or Similar Cutting tool, with a fine cutting tool attachment fitted to the drill, gently scribe around the flat surface of the bulb housing support tube on the red lens fog light unit.

Image5.png

Image6.png

Image7.png

It is better to cut this section off as a large piece and sand it down to a smooth flat surface instead of cutting straight through the bulb housing support section because by paring it to shape you will get a better bond and a tighter fit to the clear lens unit.

Image8.png

The Image above this text displays the only two parts required from the red lens fog light unit, on the left of the image we have the bulb housing support section which has been sanded down to the desired shape using a sanding attachment on the Dremel, and on the right of the image we have the fog light bulb housing and clear bulb, this bulb will be replaced with a red tinted version or a Silvatec mirror finish with red illumination,

depending on personal preference.

The rest of the red lens fog light unit can be discarded for recycle waste.

• Like 1

Image9.png

Using the bulb housing support section from the red lens unit as your template measurement,

hold it against the rear of the clear lens unit and circle around it with a

felt tip marker. Line this support section up on the rear of the housing as far

to the right as possible on the flat plate, this is to ensure both bulbs do not

touch on the inside of the housing and that maximum clearance between the two

bulbs is achieved.

Once you are satisfied with the marking of the location, fill the light housing with

around 50ml of water hold it in the position shown in the image below, replace

the bit in the Dremel with the first cutting tool attachment and begin to cut

out a section in the centre of the markings, the same as the image below.

DO Not Cut the Full Shape with the Cutting Attachment on the Dremel

Image10.png

The reason for putting the water in the unit is because the plastic that is being cut away becomes very hot from cutting and begins to melt,

so the water in the base of the housing will prevent the melting plastic fragments from bonding to the clear lens of the unit.

Once you have cut a shape out of the centre, change the bit in the Dremel back to the sanding

attachment and gently bore out the hole to the specified size, shaping and

checking the bore by holding the bulb housing support section up to the hole

from time to time.

Image11.png

Image12.png

When the hole has been Bored to precision, take the clear lens housing to a running

tap and wash out well with water ensuring all fragments of plastic have been

flushed from the housing, I have found the technique of swirling the water

downwards from the red strip easier to remove fragments that have become

trapped in the red strip along the top of the unit.

When satisfied all of the plastic fragments have

been removed from inside the unit, either blow dry the unit with a hair dryer

or leave in a warm area to air dry, Prior to aligning the second bulb housing

support tube and permanently gluing it in to place,

Image13.png

I found it easiest to tape down the bulb housing support tube in to position lining it up with the

hole on the housing and taping it, Followed by circling the outer ring with

plenty of glue and leaving it to dry for 24 hours.

Image14.png

While the housing unit was drying I got to work on the wiring for the reverse bulb, a

quick check of the Haynes manual and apparently

Green/Orange is the Positive +

Black Feed is the Negative –

These are the colors of the cables feeding to the existing reverse bulb on the

passenger side of the car,

So I will be splicing Green/Orange feed to the red on the second reverse unit and

splicing the black feed to the black cable on the second reverse unit.

Although if you wish to save weight on the car, you can splice the Green/Orange Positive + feed from the existing reverse light

with the red feed on the new reverse unit,

and splice the black negative feed - with the black negative feed- that is feeding the fog light unit,

On the same side as the new reverse unit is,

This wiring configuration will work exactly the same as the first one but also save

you a few grams on the rear of the car.

Image1406.jpg

Once the correct cables have been identified on either side of the vehicle, splice the

connection between the bulb socket and the new cable,

Then run the new red and black cable to the area that you wish to splice in to the

existing reverse light unit. When you have reached the length of cable you wish to use,

measure up a further 3-4 inches then cut the cable at that length,

You should now have a bulb socket for the second reverse light with a red and black cable spliced on to the rear of it,

with just enough length to attach it to the exiting reverse loom,

Image1432.jpg

To help protect the insulation on this cable it is advised that you wrap it generously with the fabric loom tape when wrapping with this Fabric tape,

Use the Method Of: wrap over half of your previous wrap each time you rotate around the cable,

keeping it as tight as possible, and ensuring there are no kinks or twists in the cable, again wrapping over half the tape each time. Keep wrapping until you reach the final length 2-3 inches of cable then stop and cut the Fabric tape from the roll.

Once the cable has been wrapped down to the final 2-3 inches of bare cable you can now fit the bulb socket to the car running the new loom along to the opposite side of the car and splicing in to the existing reverse light loom, when the clear fog light housing has dried it can be fitted to the car by pushing in from outside of the bumper.

Image1434.jpg

The top of the loom where it joins the grommet, is wrapped in black electrical tape, remove this tape to expose the cables as saw in the picture below

Image1433.jpg

Once the tape has been removed, take the stanley blade and gently cit a small slit in the mouth of the rubber grommet where the cable feeds in to the boot take care not to hit the fog light loom with the blade, the widening of this hole will make it easier to fish the new revers cable through the grommet and will be tapped up once complete so no water will enter the grommet.

Image1435.jpg

Image1438.jpg

Image1439.jpg

Image1448.jpg

Image1444.jpg

Image1449.jpg

Image1442.jpg

I personally have fitted the new reverse unit in to the original socket in the clear fog light housing to make both reverse lights shine in the same directions both sides of the car, and I fitted the fog light bulb in the new bulb housing support tube fitted on to the side of the clear fog light unit housing.

I have also fitted two Cree Q5 reverse bulbs in to the fitments which emit 6000kelvin white light and are equivalent to a 55watt bulb each,

so thats 110watts of light beaming from the rear of the car when reversing, cool.gif

Image1451.jpg

Image1460.jpg

Image1452.jpg

This is 100% Legal and a great help to anyone with tinted windows in the back of their focus.

Thanks For Looking!

Please Check my List of Guides Listed Below For More Information. cool.gif

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS rear Diffuser Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS Front Lip spoiler Click Here

Is Your Focus Rusting Click Here For More Information

Guide To Activating Single & Multi Door Unlock on yor Ford Click Here

Guide To Spraying Rear View Mirror Click Here

Guide To Changing Lower Front Grill On Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

The Ultamate Reverse Bulb Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Built Climate Controls on Focus Click Here

Guide to Converting Rear Fog Light To Clear Click Here

Custom Lazer Cut Interior Parts For Your Ford Click Here

Ford Serial Number Without Removing Stereo Click Here

Guide to Fitting New Ford Mist Type Jets on all Models Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional Boot Light Click Here

The Ultimate Rear Seat Protection Click Here

Guide To Storing Vehicle For Long Periods Click Here

Guide To Fitting ST Gauge Pod To Focus Dash Click Here

Guide To Fitting Focus Led badge Light Click Here

Guide To Fitting Second Reverse Light Ford Focus Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Auto Dimmer Unit to Gauges or DRL's Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional 12v Socket in Boot of Focus Click Here

Full ZetecS Kit Fitted to Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

Guide to Fitting Footwell Lighting In Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Induction Filter Upgrade in Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Bonnet Dampers Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to wiper Blade Change Focus Mk2 Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to fitting Ford puddle lights Focus 05-12 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus RS LED tail lights Mk2.5 Click Here

• Like 4

Ah you beat me to it lenny!

Good guide! I just need to get round to doing it!

• Like 1

Ah you beat me to it lenny!

Good guide! I just need to get round to doing it!

:P i started this on christmas eve :lol: im not finished yet though mate,

im waiting on the loom to arrive and the second Cree Q5 Reverse Bulb so as i can fit the cable and finish this guide,

but i have written in the guide how it will all wire togeather, so i just need to take more pictures when it arrives and add them to this guide.

Lol! At least on this one you dont need to cut the bumper! that was a pain in the bum lining all that up on the Mk1.5!

• Like 1

Top notch Guide yet again Lenny nice one +1 :D

• Like 1

Top notch Guide yet again Lenny nice one +1 :D

Thanks mate,

i need to add ten more images to it and a picture of finished product some time next week,

then i will be adding a PDF version for anyone interested to download and print. B)

I'll definitely be downloading and printing!! Then once ive done it lenny, ill add some pics here if you like,

• Like 1

I'll definitely be downloading and printing!! Then once ive done it lenny, ill add some pics here if you like,

Yes no Problem mate, ;) im sure your camera is better than mine :D ive a 2megapixel Nokia 6303 Classic :lol:

i can send you the PDF as it is now if you like?

and ill post the full updated version on this guide when complete for all to download

quick question... will you just stick the new cable joining the old to new to the back side of the bumper?? these will make for a tidy job

My link

• Like 1

quick question... will you just stick the new cable joining the old to new to the back side of the bumper?? these will make for a tidy job

My link

Hi Mate,

thanks for the link, they would do the job nicely,

but i plan to run the new cable back and tape it to the cable for the fog light all the way down the car to where the reverse loom and fog loom cables bot exit the car side by side, i plan to splice in the the positive feed for the reverse light and the negative from the fog light.

the reason im tracing back down the car,

rather than across the bumper is because i have a Zetec S rear lip to fit some time this year and i dont know

if the body shop will remove the bumper to fit the lip on to it and i dont want the cables to get in the way,

i also hope to fit a duplex exhaust system to the car some time this year,

and im unsure where the pipes are going to touch so i thought since all of the parts im going to fit have been purposely designed for the focus then surly the duplex system wont hit the existing loom of the car,

so my safest bet is to run the new cables tight to the existing ones on their. thanks for the link though mate, im sure it will help others who are performing this modification and may not have the same future plans for their model or may have done them already and can see an area to run the cable without risk of it getting damaged B)

For those who may be interested in doing this on the mk2, heres a few tips/pointers, Its almost the same as the mk2.5 just a few suttle differences with where the holes need to be drilled out etc..

Same steps as above shown by lenny, I cut the second bulb support generously to give plenty of material to play with, this wasnt needed in the end as you will see.

DSC_8146.jpg

DSC_8148.jpg

I shaved the edges right down then curved the face that will meet with the back of the unit best I could to get a nice fit.

DSC_8153.jpg

Then marked out on the new unit roughly where the new bulb holder would sit, this position gives plenty of space for both bulbs to be fitted with plenty of clearance. (the hole is a few mm bigger than the bulb itself weather it be a cree bulb or original bulb)

DSC_8150.jpg

DSC_8151.jpg

Glued into place, again make sure the bulb fits through and everythinng lines up right.

DSC_8155.jpg

Next you need to cut a hole in the bumper for the new bulb holder/plug to sit in. Dont worrie, this is all hidden up my the light unit itself once fitted. The hole needs to be a bit bigger than the bulb holder and also abit longer to allow ease of fitting the unit.

DSC_8156.jpg

The wiring side is prety much the same as what lenny described and will later picture himself. I quickly wired it up to check everything worked and fitted the light for a few shots (excuse the dirty car!). Tomorow I will be routing the wire properly and shrink wrapping/taping up.

A quick shot for anyone wanting to compare the old and new bulb (cree vs original)

DSC_8157.jpg

And the other cree bulb fitted. I still need to re-route/wire the fog light for the new holder position because the plug dosnt quite reach the back of the bulb holder at the moment.

DSC_8158.jpg

DSC_8159.jpg

DSC_8160.jpg

PLENTY of light from the rear now, cant wait to test them out in the carpark and blind many people! :D

• Like 2

DSC_8150.jpg

PLENTY of light from the rear now, cant wait to test them out in the carpark and blind many people! :D

SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet B)

looks excellent mate,

you used the Pinflur glue the same as me and :o you even have a tesco fob on your keys the same as mee too :D is yours Carbon wrapped ? ive carbon wrapped my tesco club car key ring lol

what do you think of the beam from the rear mate ?

i reckon its eppic

good shout lenny, i can tell you've given this some thought lol... cant wait to see more pics as i like the sound of running the cable back with the fog light cable.

makes sense, just hope its not to hard to get too.

i was thinking the same with regards to the duplex exhaust pipe but not sure how that would affect my warranty? unless i went through ford to get it done (if thats possible) but i know that will cost a fortune lol

those cree bulbs look the part, but again cost a fair bit :(... i want to get a dremel!!

• Like 1

i want to get a dremel!!

maplins have some great Fake Dremel's , they are great little tools

wow with those Cree bulbs you could drive in reverse every where lol

• Like 1

SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet B)

looks excellent mate,

you used the Pinflur glue the same as me and :o you even have a tesco fob on your keys the same as mee too :D is yours Carbon wrapped ? ive carbon wrapped my tesco club car key ring lol

what do you think of the beam from the rear mate ?

i reckon its eppic

Yeah used the same glue, not sure how it will set, will see tomorow. Now I may have to carbon wrap my tesco clubcard lol.

The light beam from the back is amazing, really impressed with it.

• Like 1

maplins have some great Fake Dremel's , they are great little tools

wow with those Cree bulbs you could drive in reverse every where lol

+1 on the Maplins Dremel pree their an excellent piece of kit, i havent put mine down sice i bought it, great for eating pot noodle too lol fork attachment for the noodles ;)

According to the spec on the cree bulbs they emmit 55watts of light each so that is the same amount of light as your front fogs,

so if anyone has fog lights on their car and wants to see the power of 2 cree q5 bulbs switch on your fogs in the dark B)

Heres a couple in the daylight:

DSCF7684.jpg

Rear fog light:

DSCF7681.jpg

DSCF7682.jpg

Think the fog light may need to be a bit brighter, so looking into led/cree bulbs etc.. if you know of anything let me know.

• Like 1

Think the fog light may need to be a bit brighter, so looking into led/cree bulbs etc.. if you know of anything let me know.

Looking good mate here is the cree fog light bulb in red Click Here

Looking good mate here is the cree fog light bulb in red Click Here

Had my eye on them when I got the white ones but thaught the red bulb may be bright enough, will try it out tonight when its a little darker.

Well impressed with the mod, by far the best iv done so far. :D

• Like 1

james132 can your car get any dirtier lol poor thing... great MOD though!!

• Like 1

james132 can your car get any dirtier lol poor thing... great MOD though!!

Haha, I know! Its terrible! Iv been working abroard so havnt had a chance to clean it, plus living in the sticks a little dosnt help! :lol:

• Like 1

cant seem to find the bulb holders in any scrappys... any idea if you can buy this part from ford or would i have to purchase the whole lighting loom for the car??

OR if there is any one that is thinking of cutting there fog light off completely PM me lol

thanks people!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club