Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo St Tdci Poor Mpg

Xeon5

Hey guys,

Recently bought a 05 mondeo st155 with 47k on a clock and now been running it for about 2 weeks. I last filled it up to full on the 21st of last month and have done 202 miles so far. Now I understand diesels don't preform as well on cold runs but I was still expecting at least 30mpg minimum. The gauge is currently just slightly above a quarter of a tank, the miles left is 139, and the average mpg is 34mpg.

Is there any common problems with the st tdci that affect mpg or is there anyone here who owns one who can help me with this?

at the moment i am seeing just less than 40mpg, mostly short journeys and i sit for a min or two to try and let the oil circulate and heat up slightly before going anywhere..

in the summer im getting about 45-50mpg

are you getting any excessive white smoke on startup?

at the moment i am seeing just less than 40mpg, mostly short journeys and i sit for a min or two to try and let the oil circulate and heat up slightly before going anywhere..

in the summer im getting about 45-50mpg

are you getting any excessive white smoke on startup?

I havent really noticed any white smoke but I will look out for that. What would that mean if there was?

I just filled up and it cost £41 to fill up from a quarter which doesn't seem right. Thats 30.25 litres meaning there is about 28 left. Maybe a fuel gauge problem?

I havent really noticed any white smoke but I will look out for that. What would that mean if there was?

I just filled up and it cost £41 to fill up from a quarter which doesn't seem right. Thats 30.25 litres meaning there is about 28 left. Maybe a fuel gauge problem?

that figure doesn't seem right at all, from empty IIRC costs me about £75 (55litres) and from a quarter tank on the gauge its usally about £60 (45litres)

how many miles have you done for that 30.25 litres?

they are known for injector issues, so any excessive white smoke on a cold start up could be injector issues but it sounds more like a dodgy gauge or sender here..

EGR valve is a common thing on the 2.2, This can affect MPG. Is the car smoking excessively on full chat??

You should notice more grey/black mist/smoke if its blocked/wedged open

do you know if its a euro 3 or 4 engine? I think the face lift ST has the euro 4 engine..

Mine is an 05 plate which I think was pre-facelift but tbh I can't notice much difference between mine and others.

I work for a motor factor and I asked a few garages I delivered to and they say that it could be the fuel sender unit. One said they can get dirty and give a false reading. Since filling up I've done 55 miles, trip shows 333 miles till empty and 31.5mpg which is ok for short town travel. I also record my fill ups on my iPhone Gas Cubby app which gives me my average.

Also, I'm not sure about the euro 4, euro 5 thing.

Edit: here's a picture of the dash at the moment.

Dash Pic

Is the engine switched off or is the eml light on?

I turned the key around to point two. Ignore the light, should of mentioned that

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I started this thread. Cars been great, gave it a good service a few months ago with some Castrol magnetec, and been using Shell fuel save instead of supermarket fuel. Now I've noticed a slight improvement but the guage still seems to move quickly. Is there anyway I can do a type of factory reset on the dash, or would it be easier to just have the sender unit looked at?

My friends got a 2.0 tdci LX which does 380+ miles around town per tank, but mine never seems to go above 290.

are you calculating the MPG or taking the dash reading??

I'm using an app on my phone. It's saying around on average im doing 31.3mpg. That's a mix of short journeys with the odd day drip. The highest of got was 36mpg. That was across 1 full tanks at two partial fill ups.

I think it's the sender tbh

My 2.2 Mondeo Estate diesel gets 48 mpg most of the time and has managed 60 on a run.

If it only got 31, I'd leave it with the keys in and hope it got stolen! :huh:

My 2.2 Mondeo Estate diesel gets 48 mpg most of the time and has managed 60 on a run.

If it only got 31, I'd leave it with the keys in and hope it got stolen! :huh:

Hmm, well whenever i fill up when its on the red light it never seems to cost me more than £58 (based on around £1.429 per litre), and based on what I put in, the tank had between 17 - 20 litres left in the tank, which is odd as it has a 58.5 litre tank. I want to see how far I go when I get it to the red light but think it would be too much of a risk, because even if i was doing 31mpg, i should still get 360 from a tank.

Hmm, well whenever i fill up when its on the red light it never seems to cost me more than £58 (based on around £1.429 per litre), and based on what I put in, the tank had between 17 - 20 litres left in the tank, which is odd as it has a 58.5 litre tank. I want to see how far I go when I get it to the red light but think it would be too much of a risk, because even if i was doing 31mpg, i should still get 360 from a tank.

Sorry m8 but red light/ammount put in is all mumbo-jumbo.

Fuel gagues tell more lies than politicians.

The ONLY way is to fill up, right up, zero the trip mileage and drive.

Then, when you fill right up again, divide the miles done by the gallons ( liters x .22 ). &--#60; There is a more accurate sum but that is nigh enough.

If you live near Northumberland I can connect my fault code reader for you.

Good luck.

Sorry m8 but red light/ammount put in is all mumbo-jumbo.

Fuel gagues tell more lies than politicians.

The ONLY way is to fill up, right up, zero the trip mileage and drive.

Then, when you fill right up again, divide the miles done by the gallons ( liters x .22 ). &--#60; There is a more accurate sum but that is nigh enough.

If you live near Northumberland I can connect my fault code reader for you.

Good luck.

Unfortunatly I don't live near Northumberland, but where can I get a fault code reader of my own? Ive done that dash board trick where you can get fault codes and fuel readings on the dash itself, e.g. Turn the key to a certain point and hold trip for a few seconds etc, but never been able to understand anything.

Unfortunatly I don't live near Northumberland, but where can I get a fault code reader of my own? Ive done that dash board trick where you can get fault codes and fuel readings on the dash itself, e.g. Turn the key to a certain point and hold trip for a few seconds etc, but never been able to understand anything.

Halfords sell some but I got mine off eBay.

They can be quite complicated though.

Make sure it's one that does your car.

I only just manage to understand mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Look on Halfords, there discontinued. Know anywhere else I can get one?

Also, this is my fuel guage after 2 weeks of Urban driving (sorry for the angle, couldnt do anything about it):

post-26998-0-03646700-1340961829_thumb.j

I have zetec s 130.

Has recently had 4 brand new injectors and I've cleaned out egr valve and inlet manifold, also up rated panel filter to a k & n which has given it a few more horses.

I have a fairly heavy right foot but generally get between 400-450 from a tank round town.

I realise yours is a 2.2 but unless you are ragging the !Removed! out of it all the time you should be getting a lot more to tank than you are.

My scanner is an Autel Maxiscan MS509.

Plenty on eBay.

Good luck.

Also, plenty videos on Youtube on how to use it.

They might be for diferent cars to your's but the idea's the same.

Good luck x 2. :)

Dunno.

That link doesn't work for me.

Link works ok for me, the website has it on sale for £28.55

Link works ok for me, the website has it on sale for £28.55

If that's the same model as mine, it's less than I paid.

Good luck.

ps. There are tutorials on Youtube, some better than others so watch a few.

• 10 years later...

OK I have a 2005 2.0 mondeo mk3 tdci with terrible mpg after driving 3000km to Kyiv. 
I tried everything, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil change. New water pump thermostat pipes. New crank pulley adjuster belt. Cleaned intercooler & water system. Still only 30 mpg but going like a rocket pulling like a train, STUMPED. NOTHING on all the ford sites then a mate, mechanic suggested the fuel pressure valve? So bought for £50 this bugger held on back of fuel pump with 2 x 20hex screws but a beggar to get at with big paws. Before trip computer said I had 380 miles after replace & a short run it now reads 520 just over 3/4 full. I paid mechanic 900uah to put it in and do a diagnostic or £20 in real money. He said old valve clogged up at f..k so £70 total 🟰 10 gallons to save 35% fuel cost. Hope this helps ford owners and the valve seems pretty universal 2000 - 2007 + transit engines etc, they start at about £40 eBay