Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start Button

mitch84

Hi

Since owning my new focus with the start button ,I have been wondering what would happen it the button got pushed while driving?

Has it got some sort of cut off when driving , I know its not likely that it would ever get pushed accidental but say it did get pushed while I was driving at high speed would the engine stop???

thanks

I doubt it would stop the engine, I believe the engine has to be running under 1200 revs before it will stop, otherwise my understanding is that there is a cut off above that, where the signal is ignored...

thanks , I thought that would be the case ;)

Best thing to do is test it - stand in neutral - rev your car to 1000 revs, and switch off... then try 1250, then maybe 1500, it would be good to get a rough idea as to wether the logic is true or not...

My only thinking is that, they may not have set a limit such as these - for example, a car comes off the road, the pedal is locked down / ECU is shocked into fueling the engine at 4000 revs... you still need to have a way of turning the car off, you dont have keys in a barrel in all circumstances (do you?) so you cant always just pull the key out.

- How would you stop the car to prevent a fire? dig around an upturned car for a remote key to throw about 500 yards the other direction to disconnect the engine?

I've tried it... It does nothing lol!

I was curious and thought sod it! It appears to only work when the vehicle is stationary or under a few mph...

Thought it should be the case, but good to know for definite, I dont know if its rev or speed dependant though!

What should happen in my opinion is when the key is out of range the Engine should cut off , i find it strange that Ford never included it.

Nice one TDCIST your a brave guy for trying it lol

• Like 1

What should happen in my opinion is when the key is out of range the Engine should cut off , i find it strange that Ford never included it.

yeah nice one ,I was to scared to try it also :unsure:

If I remember correctly, the manual says that you either have to hold the button down for 2-3 seconds or press it 3 times within 3 seconds. Presumably this is to allow for emergencies without making it easy to do by accident.

Its something to do with EU Regs... or Law... You cannot immobilise a car while its driving, as if it cuts out on a motorway, or in a dangerous position or something silly.. I know a guy who manufacturers GPS tracking and he told me about it once... Ill see if i can find the exact info off him!

So, curious by people responses, i tried a different approach... press the clutch at 30, let the revs drop, and press the button and hold...

Yeah the engine turns off!! lol!!

Anyone fancy trying it? Also TDCiST did you do this stationary at revs, or moving at speed?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club