Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Up grading engine

simon_20

I have a 1.4 zetec focus and was thinking about changeing the engine and putting a 1.6 zetec engine in. Will it be a quiet straight forward swap over or will it require all new gear box and driveing gear as well as ecu units?

I have a 1.4 zetec focus and was thinking about changeing the engine and putting a 1.6 zetec engine in. Will it be a quiet straight forward swap over or will it require all new gear box and driveing gear as well as ecu units?

unless you can do it yourself.. your better of buying a 1.6 focus and selling the 1.4

unless you can do it yourself.. your better of buying a 1.6 focus and selling the 1.4

I can do it my self but i am just wondering if it is just a straight swap over? or do i need all new drive gear and gearbox.?

I can do it my self but i am just wondering if it is just a straight swap over? or do i need all new drive gear and gearbox.?

you will need the ecu from the 1.6 anyways. possibly the gearbox for the 1.6 as the ratios may be different.

you will need the ecu from the 1.6 anyways. possibly the gearbox for the 1.6 as the ratios may be different.

So its queit a big job then ?

So its queit a big job then ?

if you are comfortable with fitting it yourself then go for it. having to source all the different parts wouldnt put me off. While the new engine is out you would probably be better to fit a new clutch and timing belt kit aswell.

so if it is going to be hard to change engines over is there any advice and tips to tune up my engine as it is really sluggish as the cars body is far to big for a 1.4 engine think ford should of started building the focus's wih 1.6 engines. Als it is not easy for me to just swap cars and buy a bigger liter car.

Yeah i would be happy to do it but wat i dont want to happen is that i take out old engine then cant put other engine in due to needing loads of parts.

so if it is going to be hard to change engines over is there any advice and tips to tune up my engine as it is really sluggish as the cars body is far to big for a 1.4 engine think ford should of started building the focus's wih 1.6 engines. Als it is not easy for me to just swap cars and buy a bigger liter car.

theres not alot of tuning that can be done to such a small engine to be honest, nothing that will give you a huge difference anyway.

Have you had a look at prices for the 1.6 engine with gearbox? If you have the space and tools it should be a good weekend job with help from a good mate. I think to convert the engine you will need the gearbox, ecu, engine mounts and possibly driveshaft and also all the other bits like the alternator and such. you will probably need to change the downpipe to the exhaust too. If the money to do it isnt a major issue then I would go for it by all means.

Ok i will have a lil shop on ebay and see whats avaliable thanks for your advice.

Got alot of thinking and callculations to do.

getting your hands on a donor car would be the best thing but that might be too pricey, whats your budget? with a donor car you would have absolutely everything you need from ecu to driveshafts. would be especially good if you have never done anything like this before.