Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost Of New Key?

shaz4473

I am trying to get in touch with local autolocksmiths and one has come back to me saying it should be around £75 but they need to see the key. I don't know what they are supplying for that price but once I have been I will report back.

That would most likely be a cut and programmed manual key, they usually only cut and code RCL keys if you supply them.

Hi I'm new to the forum just been reading threw, when programming new keys in when you get it in to learn mode it wipes all existing memory so all keys that's used need to be re-programmed again dunno if anyones already mentioned this.

Hi everyone, I've just had areply from local autolocker, I asked for a key the same as my original that would do everything that my original will do, he has replied with a quote of £145:00 which sounde like it may be my easiest option, will keep in touch.

Cheers

Steve

I have had replies from two locksmiths. One has quoted:

'We can provide you with a working duplicate key that would start your car. This however would be a non remote key. It would also be a clone of your existing key therefore the car would not recognise it as a 2nd key.'

I am confused by 'the car would not recognise it as a 2nd key' - can anyone explain this?

The other locksmith that firstly replied to my email saying if they could do it the cost would be around £75 has now said after I emailed a picture of the key that I would have to go to the dealer for these. There was no offer of doing it if I could supply the remote but I am going to go past at the weekend as so far I have just been in touch by email and perhaps I will get on better speaking to someone face to face!

Yes I am determined to find a reasonably priced solution for this problem!!! :wacko:

I have had replies from two locksmiths. One has quoted:

'We can provide you with a working duplicate key that would start your car. This however would be a non remote key. It would also be a clone of your existing key therefore the car would not recognise it as a 2nd key.'

I am confused by 'the car would not recognise it as a 2nd key' - can anyone explain this?

AFAIK the keys for the car are coded exactly the same but have a difference of serial applied to them so as allow personalisation of settings- my focus can programme keys seperately so that different drivers can set personal settings for steering and warning tones etc.

What the locksmith is basically saying is that the keys will be the same serial and settings so they won't be recognises as two keys to enable programming of further keys yourself.

Personally i think they're talking twaddle so you'd be inclined to go back to them at a later date if you wanted a third key.

Guy that did my car didn't need any keys other than to open the door and programmed the key via the OBD port.

Not cloned but authorised to the car.

Am I just in an area that locksmiths aren't up to date with all the technololgy!!! One has come back to me today saying they don't have the software to programme a remote key

I am waiting to get a price for a non remote and am thinking that as it is just a spare then do we really need another remote for the car??

Usuallly it is just my mum using the one key with the other hanging in a cupboard but then it's handy if I have to take the car and she has her keys with her.

Is there necessity for 2 remote keys???

If there is any practical reason for having two please let me know. What would happen if the remote key was then lost(I know it is unlikely but..) would I be ok if I only had the non remote clone from the locksmith to get another key cut?

So many questions but hopefully someone can comment!

The car would have come with one remote key and one non remote key.

I personally always keep 3 keys, (2 original kept safe and spare one used daily)

Just means that if i lose or break the spare i always have the original 2 for recoding spares and for possible resale when the time comes.

Most people in the know will walk away from a second hand ford with only one key.

Thanks for that. The car came with 2 remote keys but if having one remote and one manual key will do the job it looks like the best/cheapest option.Although I don't want to Shell out more money than I need I also want to ensure that I get the right thing.

The advice on this forum is invaluable

• 3 months later...

"Most people in the know will walk away from a second hand ford with only one key."

Sadly I have ballsed up in that department too. I have a 2007 Fiesta TDci, just bought semi privately - home type trader. (dropped a clanger me thinks).

So he tells me he bought it from benfield ford as a part ex just shipped on and he advised me to write to or call the previous owner when I get my log book... unlikely to get an answer but worth a try.

So from reading this post there are conflicting stories on how to get a 2nd working key and key fob or it's not clear if its the replacement for the new folding type or the 3 button type.

Mine is a 3 button type. I can see that I can source a blank key sub £5 on eBay, get it cut for another fiver and potentially source a fob with working circuit board for £20... what's the next move?- take it to ford, play dumb and just say it's not working anymore or is there a cheaper work around?

Any help appreciated.

Stu

When I went into my local Timsons they said they would supply a programed key for £110 which confused me even more as the shop is in a shopping centre a long way from the car park!

Timpsons (and most other key cutting palces that offer the service) copy the immobilier code from your old key to a new one. Effectivly you don't need to program the key as the car already knows the code.

Older systems had a preset code that the car looks for, newer systems have a rolling code rather than static, but I don't know which yours has. Someone else may be able to tell.

You're better off buying a uncut, new key with an unprogrammed transponder and getting a qualified auto locksmith to do the job.

Timpsons are as much use as a popped balloon.

They only clone the keys, for the key to work flawlessly the key should be paired to the car via the OBDII port.

Ford charge a fair bit for this service plus always add about 3 hours labour when cutting and coding takes 20 minutes max.

In my research I have found a guy on eBay - username cobbler32, he can supply and programme a manual key for £40, all he needs is you to send your key send via secure mail and her will return yours and the new manual key to you via same method next day guaranteed before 1pm...

Will be using his service if the previous owner doesn't have my master key.

Item No:

• 2 weeks later...

I only had one 2005 Focus flip 3-button key and needed another. I bought a blank one for £30 on eBay. In Huddersfield, Horatio Nelson Firth (!) in Milnsbridge cut it for £7.50 and The Huddersfield Lock & Key Centre in Paddock (Market Street) programmed the transducer as a new key (not as a clone) to my car via the diagnostics port. Took about 10 mins and cost £40. Hopefully I can now program another key myself in the ignition as I now have two seperate keys. Total cost was £77.50 which was cheaper than the £120 which B&S Locksmiths, a mile away,wanted! (I programmed the remote myself as per the handbook in a few seconds - note: re-program ALL your remotes at the same time NOT just the new one)

EDIT: For "transducer" read "transponder" ;)

On a mk2 focus you can add as many keys to the central locking as you like yourself but Ford removed the ability to add keys to the immobiliser.

All transponder chips will have to be programmed via the OBD port.

Mk1/1.5 no problem, mk2 + no go. Sorry.

Stoney871 is right. Even though I had 2 non-cloned full keys I could not program a third manual (non-remote) key in the ignition lock however hard I tried.

I had to fork out another £40 to have it done via the diagnostics port (5 minutes!) Timpsons "ordinary shop" could not clone it.

There is disagreement on the Internet as to whether DIY programming via the ignition switch is possible. I think that this stems from the fact that before MarkII it was possible and that it STILL seems to be possible on all USA Focuses. My experience on a UK 2005 Focus is that DIY can't be done.

• 3 months later...

I know this is old, I have read all the comments and still am non the wiser.

I have a 2006 (06) Mondeo 1.8 Silver, I bought it with just the Key with the Blue Chip, Which is a pain in the perverbial due to the alarm sounding when opening the doors.

Can I purchase a 3 button Blank key and fob from eBay, and manually programme it to Unlock, immobilise and start the car :unsure:

Ford want approx £240 for everything.

Thanks in advance

Yes and no.

You can buy an uncut key but you need to make sure you get the right transponder chip.

You need one that is definitely listed as a blue one.

As you have only one original key you will need the key coding to your immobiliser by a professional.

Have a search for auto locksmiths and get quotes.

A good one will cut and code to key in about twenty minutes.

Thanks very much for the reply Stoney871, I'm just in the process of finding a suitable RCL key/fob, so the actual transponder inside the fob needs to be or have been assocuated to a "Blue Chip" key?

Apologies if i sound thick (I prob am for buying a car with one key) lol

There are two types of transponder chips for the keys, red and blue.

Each one works on a different frequency so you need to ensure that the transponder is definitely a blue version.

Ah, Ok I get you now, Assuming the eBayer I ask is Honest enough, or knowledgeable to tell me that information.

Many thanks again.

Just want to be sure, what blade do you have on your key is it Type 1 (Tibbe)-

KGrHqMOKjME0d2QwSVIBNnTRUTp_12.jpg

Or Type 2 (Blade) -

KGrHqNHJDcE8fTfy3NBPHMUUNlg60_12.jpg

Also what colour is the blue cap on your key? Light or dark? You need to ensure the transponder is for the right colour.

With either blade you can add one of these fobs, as long as you fit the correct transponder chip. (It slides in inside a rubber sleeve.)

KGrHqJHJwE-dZ64O8WBPvoOfsiEw60_12.jpg

KGrHqJi4E3QIO3KG7BOIdud03_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKkE5EZLEcrGBOVJjzL-fQ48_12.jpg

Hi, The key I have is type 1, Tibbe, The chip is a Lightish blue, I have taken pics but the Media section is under maintenance so I cannot upload any. I really appreciate your help, apart from eBay, do you know of anywhere that would have what I need kind of ready made :) .

I am sorry if it sounds like Im asking you/all to do the job for me, i am a real BOOB when it comes to things like this, I have found (in the Car) a Key Code Card with 8 numbers printed on.

"If you lose your key, hand this card into your FORD dealer, who will order you a replacement key.

Is this any significance?

thanks

The key card is a numerical representation of a tibbe key.

It's read by angles and cuts (most key cutters can read them by looking at them)

Look at a tibbe key from right to left, with the key flat and the plastic on the right, the widest part of the key is the code we're looking at. Imagine this piece to be divided into six segments, looking at the key flat, each of these segments has a degree of slope cut into it, no slope is no.1, slight slope is no.2, medium slope is no.3, max slope is no.4.

Read this site for more information on keys.

http://www.onlinekeycutting.com/Ford-Key-Programming.html

http://www.onlinekeycutting.com/Ford-Blue-Chip-Key.html

Thanks for that, Wow I've learnt so much from you in the last 3 post's pal than I have in 6 hours of Googling!

Thanks for sharing that, I will have a good luck through tomorrow, My eyes are spinning.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club