Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus 1.8 Tdci Ghia/zetec Climate (Buying Advice)

FatHead1979

Hi people,

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my MK5 1.25i 16v Fiesta Ghia (2001) as it needs a new PAS rack & the !Removed! engine still misfires despite having the coil pack, HT leads & sparks replaced (compression test is fine but ECU still shows a misfire on cylinder 3), thanks to the engine issue it's no doing 24 MPG when it used to 40+ even urban when driven sensibly. (Any extra £50 per month for the extra tank of petrol I can do without at the mo). TBH I'm a gutted cos I've love my little go kart but it's had it's time I think.

I'm avoiding the 1.6 TDCI's cos I'm really not fussed about paying out a grand every 30-40000 miles for DPF, bearing in mind the car will be doing lots of short runs with only a few motorway runs so plenty of chance for the DPF to get clogged up.

Looking at a 05-06 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate or Ghia with around 100000 on the clock (I've got used to my quickclear windscreen in the winter, lol).

Besides ensuring the cambelt & assembly have been done & the daft DualMass Fly Wheel doesn't vibrate cos it's knackered, any other things to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Hi people,

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my MK5 1.25i 16v Fiesta Ghia (2001) as it needs a new PAS rack & the !Removed! engine still misfires despite having the coil pack, HT leads & sparks replaced (compression test is fine but ECU still shows a misfire on cylinder 3), thanks to the engine issue it's no doing 24 MPG when it used to 40+ even urban when driven sensibly. (Any extra £50 per month for the extra tank of petrol I can do without at the mo). TBH I'm a gutted cos I've love my little go kart but it's had it's time I think.

I'm avoiding the 1.6 TDCI's cos I'm really not fussed about paying out a grand every 30-40000 miles for DPF, bearing in mind the car will be doing lots of short runs with only a few motorway runs so plenty of chance for the DPF to get clogged up.

Looking at a 05-06 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate or Ghia with around 100000 on the clock (I've got used to my quickclear windscreen in the winter, lol).

Besides ensuring the cambelt & assembly have been done & the daft DualMass Fly Wheel doesn't vibrate cos it's knackered, any other things to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

the fiesta misfire is likely a faulty diode in the ecu....as for the focus main thing is leaks check the boot especially in the rear wheel well and ide check under tthe driver and pass carpets as well.

make sure it has 2 keys and both work and check all electrics work fine make sure it starts easy enough then take it for a test drive gears should be smooth no crunches in the gearbox

ideally you want to buy from a dealer as you have more comeback if there are any faults

Part from what you said and artscot said can't think of much else. Everything else is common sense - check behind arches for rust (front more prone than the rear apparently) - Check all the levels, try to get one with a decent service history and take straight to Kwik Fit for a oil Filter change - £34.99 - Only thing i would ever recommend KF for!!! Make sure it drives ok, pulls steadly etc - Don't worry about black smoke too much when flooring it (although u should only notice this at night in the rear view mirror in following cars headlights - don't ever notice it during the day LOL) - Blue smoke is a no no.

Whatelse??? hmmm check the bonnett lock ain't stiff.... all basic stuff really.

Can't think of anything else, just try to test 2 so you can compare how they pull etc. They can get clogged up EGR valves - wynns do some spray which seems to work ok.

oh and consider the Titanium as well mate - nicer than the Ghia IMHO, I was either going for the Zetec Climate or Titanium and ended up finding a gem. Good luck with the hunt mate

Cheers chaps.

I've spent 3-4 hours every night for the last fortnight looking for a good 1.....SUCCESS

I'm now the VERY proud owner of a MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Ghia (4 door) (05) in silver, £3700, full FORD service history, 83,000 on the clock, the old guy who bought it from new even put Ford mudflaps on it stop gravel/pebbles stripping the paint at the front of the sills.

I've driven plenty of current gen Focus & Mondeo's @ work, always wanted one but didn't think I'd be able to drop on one so soon.

The missus likes it but is already complaining that 'it's too !Removed! big', lol :rolleyes:

Got a few touch ups on the front to do from stone chips, they even gave me the colour matched Ford paint, lol.

Oh & just to top things off the finance company initially thoguh it was a Mk1 so ballzd up the credit agreement, the dealer had to redo the HPI & I spotted the finance company valued it at £5,200 retail. Not that I plan on selling it anytime soon.

Just got to get around to contacting the Ford auth. dealer who did the servicing to see what jobs (if any) in terms of the biggies have been done yet.

56MPG on the motorway doing a steady 70MPG on the way home & 44MPG urban, fingers crossed its a solid as it seems.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club