Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Solution To Water In Plug Ports

Petar

Update / 13 jan 2012: This is meant to be adding an additional level of safety/security. It's highly recommended that you have the revised washers for the sprinklers first and fit them with a sealant of some sort.

Hi everyone,

This is a very simple and relatively cheap solution to the problem described in this thread:

http://www.fordowner...-with-pictures/

This applies to 1.4l and 1.6l (101bhp) engines of Focus MKII Phase I and Phase II. The 1.6l Ti-VCT engine needs another solution as it doesn't have the mounting holes on top of the engine.

What you need:

- 1x Volvo engine cover (part number 30650468); for a Volvo V50 1.6l from 2005-2006.

- 4x Mounting screws (part number 986019)

The price for these two in the Netherlands (I live there) is ca.20EUR incl. taxes and most dealers can deliver the cover and the screws on the next day if it's not in stock already. I believe that Volvo also uses the same part numbers internationally (just as Ford does). If the part numbers aren't the same - just explain to the nearest Volvo dealer that you need a plastic engine cover for a Volvo V50 1.6l from 2005-2006 and they'll understand what you want.

How to mount it:

Before you mount anything - check and if necessary dry up the plugs compartment if there's water in it.

Here's the final result:

ffukf_slp_m_2.jpg

1. Open the bonnet and locate the screw holes on the top of your engine. Two of them are covered by plastic holders/clips. One holds a cable that goes to the fuel injectors (on your left hand side from where you'll be standing) and the other one (on the opposite side) holds another cable. You can safely unscrew the clip that holds the injectors electrical cable - the engine cover will hold that in place once you mount it. As for the other cable - simply cut the plastic cable tie and fasten it with a new one against the metal loop that's right next to it (circled in red on the photo). Then unscrew the base to free that screw hole as well.

2. Fit the cap on top and arrange the spark plug cables and the injectors electrical cable under it so that everything falls nicely into place.

3. Apply some temperature resistant lubricant to the screws before you mount them, so that unscrewing them in the future won't be a problem.

4. Fasten the cover with the screws so that they are just tight and you're ready.

Solution for the 1.6l Ti-VCT engine:

Final result with the bonnet insulation plate mounted:

ffukf_slp_m_1.jpg

Apart from getting the new version of the rubbers for the sprinklers you could also order the bonnet insulation cover (mounts on the inside of the bonnet and comes as standard on the diesel models).

Insulation cover FINIS: 1495860

Clips (11 of them!): 1251866

This mounts in less than 2minutes on the inside of the bonnet with the plastic clips.

This is not a perfect solution as with massive leaks the cover will get soaked but if you get the revised washers for the sprinklers, mount them with some silicone kit AND mount the insulation cover on the inside you should be quite safe.

I initially only had the Volvo engine cover installed but I always felt the engine was a bit too noisy on the motorway, so I later on I also ordered the sound insulation plate for the bonnet (not cheap at ca.90EUR+tax at the dealer but worth it imho).

• Like 2

Not knocking your fix, but surely it is better to fix the leak problem than provide the plug ports with what in essence is an umbrella. Besides replacement washer jets can be had for little money on eBay as member Shiplu has stated on the Fix thread I started on the issue.

And also if you don't fix the leak, as can be seen in my pictorial guide water can and does leak onto the covers of other electrical components.

catch, thanks for the feedback! :) I've added a little update line at the beginning of the guide.

I already had the revised washers on my car and the leakages were still pretty regular, judging by the amount of water that was in the plug ports. :( That's all happened before we actually bought the car. After we bought the car and the dealer attempted a repair (was under warranty) they simply put kit under the sprinkler which leaked on top of the engine. Even after this I saw drops of water on the engine and resorted to installing the Volvo cover.

Interestingly enough, my other sprinkler hasn't leaked a drop till this day. Maybe whoever installed them first did a lousy job with one of them... I don't know. :)

Now, however, with the cover and the insulation plate under the bonnet I'm pretty well protected. Anything little that will get through will be absorbed by the plate and eventually dry up. Currently, after more than six months of use there are still no water marks on the insulation plate... If an ugly stain appears in the future I'll simply re-do the washers again. For now, unfortunately, this is one of the least potential worries with my Focus and happily it's not resulting in any troubles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Is there a cover/solution for a 16ti-VCT. I am having similar issues with water in the ports area?

thanks

No, as mentioned in the first post - the Ti-VCT engine doesn't have the screw holes on the top, so you can't securely fasten the cover. They do look identical for the rest.

However! You can get the revised jets from your Ford dealer. They do have much larger rubbers and that might as well do the trick for you. If just fiting the revised jets don't fix the problem, try using some silicone sealant as well. A set of new jets isn't too expensive.

• 4 months later...

where can i get a volvo engine cover plz? been looking for ages and unable to acquire 1

not knocking anyone but i have the ti-vct and you simply fit revised washers and ive never had a leak since and weve had some torrential rain thats been a long time since last september simply put a smear of silicone on the rubber where it sits on the bonnet then a smear where the washer jet sits on the rubber its really that easy and cheap the new jets haver much larger rubbers if its still leaking either they arent fitted correctly or its the washer hose leaking not the jets.all the cover does is soak up more water tyhen drips all over the engine.

where can i get a volvo engine cover plz? been looking for ages and unable to acquire 1

Volvo dealership ??

Hi guys, I have a 59 plate focus which I would assume as the revised jets fitted but I'm quite paranoid about the whole situation, would somebody mind posting pictures of the old and new jets fitted so I know I have them? I'm going for the belt and braces approach by also applying some silicon grease/sealant and getting a volvo engine cover fitted too (probably look and getting the bonnet insulation as well for added safety and noise reduction!)

• Like 1

Hi guys, I have a 59 plate focus which I would assume as the revised jets fitted but I'm quite paranoid about the whole situation, would somebody mind posting pictures of the old and new jets fitted so I know I have them? I'm going for the belt and braces approach by also applying some silicon grease/sealant and getting a volvo engine cover fitted too (probably look and getting the bonnet insulation as well for added safety and noise reduction!)

Have you read the thread at the start of this topic ?

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/16039-water-in-plug-ports-issue-with-pictures/

• Like 1

yes mate, but couldnt find any pics of the old / new washers fitted, unless im missing the obvious!

the washer jets are the same the rubber seal on the old ones you cant see under the washer jet the new one you can see it

theres really no need for all the above the sound deadening is 60 ish quid alone and if you have a leak it will get wrecked quickly if you do the jets right then all you need is those and an undertray to keep crud off the engine. ive had mine through winters down pours you name it and not a spot gets through ,the washer hose to the jet can leak if not pushed on all the way .

• 1 year later...

Good solution ! I've just ordered a spark plug Cover from my local Volvo dealer & I've also purchased the revised washers with seals, part numbers are correct for the Cover and total cost comes to £21 which is much cheaper than the risk of rusty plugs breaking in the cylinder head, on that note I only discovered I had this problem when I went to change my Spark Plugs a couple of days ago, I managed to remove and change 3 out of the 4, I actually broke a 3/8 drive extension bar on the 4th plug ! luckily the plug isn't damaged and engine still runs fine so I've cleaned all around the plug and will soak it in penetrating fluid and re clean around it again and keep repeating process until it free's off ! fingers crossed !!!! last resort will be a trip to Ford Garage.

• 1 month later...

thank you for the info on volvo engine cover. I had this problem of water in plug ports in april last year but thought this was caused by having car jet washed . my mechanics dry it out replaced the plugs, leads and also the coil all was then fine,until january this year. i had not gone to jet wash since the last problem. i broke down the same old problem had raised its head, again water ingress into plug ports. in my search for assistance i managed to find a ford garage.i had dried out the ports but needed plugs removed and cleaned as car was still misfiring. it was there they informed me that it was a known problem caused by leakiing washer jets, unfortunatley that was as far as their help went, they couldn't do anything till the following day,so much for customer service!! I eventually got recovered home by the AA after their roadside mechanic removed all but one plug, which had seized in situe and cleaned and dried the leads even changing to a spare coil as it still had a misfire on number four plug which was not the one he could not remove. On taking to my mechanics the next day who are very good and reiable ex-ford, i informed them of the cause of the original problem they were gobsmacked that fords had kept this to themselves. Unfortunatley the siezed plug broke in the head on trying to remove, but this was not the only problem, so did one of the bolt holding the covers either side of the ports.they did manage to drill out the bolt and remove the plug eventually. plugs, and leads were replaced and the washer jets replaced with the new type advised by ford. this friday after heavy rain all day my engine light came on, as the car was not misfiring i continued and reached home. the next day i dried of the bonnet and when i lifted it the no.1 plug had water on it and the top well was full off water so much for fords modification!!!!!l

Volvo must have had same problem or foresaw the problem with this engine but had the sense to rectify with and an engine cover, was it to much to ask that fords could not do the same. the two breakdowns cost me a lot of money how many other ford owners have shelled out hard earned cash because of fords negligence, i can't believe this has been going on since 2009.

since 2005 mate not 2009 its an issue from the mk2 2004 onwards it was noted on ford tsb in 2005

For anyone still suffering from this problem..... I have an unused Volvo cover for sell, will accept £20 and free P&P

- 1x Volvo engine cover (part number 30650468); for a Volvo V50 1.6l from 2005-2006.

Call 01778441124 if interested

Thanks to Member named Petar i have fitted said volvo engine cover, easily aquired from local volvo dealer using part numbers supplied, cost with screws £19.00 plus vat,spoke to volvo parts they said these covers were standard on volvos. When i asked ford customer relations why they did not fit one, their answer was they did not know, they did come back to me after speaking to their technical department( a premium phone number to you and me) they also didn't know, what a shower, thank god for volvo.

It doesnt solve the problem though i dont see why you dont fix the jets for the few pounds it costs and that's it sorted mines havent leaked a drop in 2 years just takes 20mins of youre time thats all

• Like 1

I did fit the new jets ,they still leaked, had to silicon them in the end but fitted cover as a precaution, as fords seem to be getting their parts from china, and we all know what rubbish comes from there.This problem caused me a lot of money and lost time so i am taking no chances. I have been a ford man for over 30 years but if this is how they are going to treat their customers i'll go eslewere.

Almost everything you buys from china doesnt make it poor sadly the cover only fits certain engines

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still suffering from this problem..... I have an unused Volvo cover for sell, will accept £20 and free P&P

Call 01778441124 if interested

You still got this?

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,does anyone have the part number for the revised washer jets for the mkll focus please,as I need to get this sorted,cheers.