Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12Volt Cigarette Lighter Not Working, Fuse? Wrong Ampage?

robmanmanc

Sorry if this is about the millionth time someone has asked about a fuse... however, I've just bought a second hand Fiesta Mark 6 '03 TDCI and I don't really want to take it back to the dealer to have to wait a week to get it back just because the 12v socket isn't working.

I've had a look under the gear stick and the socket is connected, I've just had a looked at the central fuse box and the fuse with the smoking cigarette symbol (presume this is the right one) 5th from left 3rd one up from bottom looks fine. However it's a 3amp fuse, everywhere I look it says it should be a 15/30AMP. Could this be causing the problem?

Any ideas suggestions would be great. I'm fairly handy, but only just finding my feet with Car DIY. So nice and simple language please.

Thanks in advance.

3amp fuse is way too small mate, a 3amp fuse would be used to power your interior dash lights or somthing similar, its way too low for your 12v socket

id change it for a bigger one check the owners manual for a guideline on the correct amp of fuse to use.

If in doubt get the multimeter out....

It should be a 30 if I remember.Had to put a new one in mine the other month.

Thanks for the replies. I thought 3 looked too small sadly the owners manual only tells me what different colours mean in terms of amps not where they go. I'll try and pick up a multipack of fuses or get a 30. If 3 is to small then it must have instantly blown, although it does look intact I guess it could be a hairline split.

Buy yourself a Haynes manual for Ford fiesta. Tells you all you need. Brilliant troubleshooter, and assistance for small jobs you can do yourself. Had it not been half 1 I would go get mine to tell you but I will get back to you on what it says.

Check inside the cig lighter that there is nothing inside it causing an arc or shorting it every time you try a new fuse.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club