Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Hatch - Rear Window & Rainwater

Pitmonster

Having owned my Focus for about 2½ months, I've come to really respect the quality and attention to detail. But every now and then you notice things that could have been done a little better. For example one problem I've found is opening the hatchback in the rain.

Because the rear glass runs right to the edge of the tailgate and has no 'lip', rainwater runs off the glass and into the boot - helped by the fact the glass is slightly curved which encourages the water to run off sideways. Of course quite a bit of it falls into the plastic channels next to the rear lights, but quite a lot goes into the boot and onto your luggage/shopping etc.

So I went on eBay and bought some edging strip (see here). At 60cm per side you'll need 2 metres, whioh cost me £2.97.

Cleverly it has adhesive already inside the channel, so you can be reasonably sure it'll stay put. Plus you can have an inch or so under the rear spoiler so there shouldn't be any wind noise. If you fancy a bit of bling the edging strip is available in colours and even chrome finish.

Took me 2 minutes to fit (although was a bit tight - you may want a slightly larger size, which might also offer a larger lip and more rain protection), and hopefully should help keep my belongings dry!.

Photos please.

I will when it's daylight...

:-)

It is a bit of a pain, i just got used to swiping the water off with my hand before opening the hatch.

Ford sell custom made strips (as fitted to 2009 Focus onwards) for about £20 all in. They will fit all Mk2 pre-facelift as well.

The FINIS no's are:

1539801 & 1539802

• Like 1

As promised, here's the pictures.

The edging strip was bought from eBay, and comes in metre lengths.

Each side of the rear screen is 60cm so I bought 2 metres which came in one long piece.

You can cut it with scissors or a knife, but it's a bit hard so be careful of cutting your fingers.

This is a shot of the end of the strip, the opening that will slip over the edge of the glass is on the left.

Secreted inside (on the right in this picture) is a bead of adhesive, which should help secure the strip to the glass.

b9jbr8.jpg

You need to cut each strip to 60cm in length (but please measure your window first!).

Don't worry if you're a little off (but not too much!), as you'll see.

Open the tailgate, and position it roughly horizontal.

If necessary, wipe any moisture or dirt from the glass, as this may prevent the strip from sticking securely.

Start at the bottom and line up the strip. I chose to leave a few milimetres because the corner of the glass is curved.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO LEAVE SOME OF THE STRIP HANGING OFF, TO TRIM LATER

ONE SLIP OF A METAL BLADE ON THE EDGE OF THE GLASS COULD CRACK OR SHATTER THE GLASS

Then push it onto the edge of the glass and work your way up to the spoiler.

It's a bit tight, but this means it's secure. Press it home hard so that the adhesive touches the edge of the glass.

xeo8ck.jpg

There is a slight gap between the spoiler and the glass, and the edging strip will slip in here nicely.

If you haven't been too accurate in your cutting, this is where a slight variation in length will be hidden by the spoiler.

4kz7nl.jpg

When the tailgate is closed, the trim sits flush next to the lights, and unless you know what to look for you may never notice it *

mmy9h4.jpg

( * Although it's available in colours and chrome finish)

I've yet to try it out on a rainy day, but I'm hoping the edging strip will provide enough of a lip to redirect the flow of water as I lift the tailgate, and keep my boot contents dry. At £3 it was worth a gamble!

Cheers for looking, Dave

• 1 year later...

Having owned my Focus for about 2½ months, I've come to really respect the quality and attention to detail. But every now and then you notice things that could have been done a little better. For example one problem I've found is opening the hatchback in the rain.

Because the rear glass runs right to the edge of the tailgate and has no 'lip', rainwater runs off the glass and into the boot - helped by the fact the glass is slightly curved which encourages the water to run off sideways. Of course quite a bit of it falls into the plastic channels next to the rear lights, but quite a lot goes into the boot and onto your luggage/shopping etc.

So I went on eBay and bought some edging strip (see here). At 60cm per side you'll need 2 metres, whioh cost me £2.97.

Cleverly it has adhesive already inside the channel, so you can be reasonably sure it'll stay put. Plus you can have an inch or so under the rear spoiler so there shouldn't be any wind noise. If you fancy a bit of bling the edging strip is available in colours and even chrome finish.

Took me 2 minutes to fit (although was a bit tight - you may want a slightly larger size, which might also offer a larger lip and more rain protection), and hopefully should help keep my belongings dry!

did it work then ?

Hi

Would this cure the problem I have with the back window always seeming to be misted over?

Hi

Would this cure the problem I have with the back window always seeming to be misted over?

does yours mist up inside as mine does also,i think mine is when it has rained and you open boot rain goes in on to the mat and that's where my misting comes from,i have no wet mat underneath or water in boot at all so it must be this.i have just put a rubber boot mat liner in and am surprised how much water does drip in now I can see it on the mat.

does yours mist up inside as mine does also,i think mine is when it has rained and you open boot rain goes in on to the mat and that's where my misting comes from,i have no wet mat underneath or water in boot at all so it must be this.i have just put a rubber boot mat liner in and am surprised how much water does drip in now I can see it on the mat.

There doesn't seem to be any water leaking into the boot as the carpet is dry also the rear side windows mist as well

that fix wont work the ford strips are designed to go over both the glass and the boot channel and go to the boot so that when you open the water is channeled into the free end of the strip and out the other end like this post-8800-0-87440600-1382811700_thumb.jp

that fix wont work the ford strips are designed to go over both the glass and the boot channel and go to the boot so that when you open the water is channeled into the free end of the strip and out the other end like this attachicon.gif100_1089.JPG

any chance of more pics of strips with boot open etc..thanks.

ill get them today and post later you need the box section type stuff not that thin stuff above that wont solve anything

thats how iyt needs to sit and the truth is that doesnt cure it either there is no cure and its one of the reasons the focus had stars removed from its review the door seals also when its raining or been raining and you open the door the water will drip into the car again no remedy for that either post-8800-0-54766500-1382882586_thumb.jppost-8800-0-86126500-1382882678_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Know this a really old topic but did anyone try the op method.

Did it cure the problem of rain water going all over when opening the boot?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club