Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Additional 12V Power Socket In Boot Focus Mk2.5

Lenny

PM sent Lenny, cheers!

No problem mate,

Here is what to expect:

Image2423.jpg

That is tip top pal, thanks again. I owe you one!

No problem,

The parts are of no use to me so you don't owe me mate.

I kept them in the attic encase they would be of use to someone and my assumption was correct lol

• 2 weeks later...

Gforce mate any update on getting the 12v socket in the boot to working using the bit of kit Lenny sent you?

Not yet mate, sorry. Had planned to get at it yesterday as I'd a free week from football, but pumpkin carving and Halloween decorations took over! Merseyside derby and the miserable weather out will prevent me from getting at it today, but I've booked from Weds off this week for Jr's mid-term so bound to get an hour or two at it on Thurs or Fri. As long as I have my car back by then...goin to my mechanic on Monday for a few days to have a sticking turbo dismantled and cleaned, fingers crossed that'll sort it!

Wounder mate. Hurry up n get it done lol so you can tell me your findings should I wanna do it myself.

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is over a month old now. But i was installing a second light in my 05 focus boot today and noticed a thick red wire, with red plug on the end (right next to an ground point) on the left (uk passenger side). Does anyone else have this? and is it likely to be for a 12v socket? I was going to take a pic but had put everything back together before i remembered.

I know this topic is over a month old now. But i was installing a second light in my 05 focus boot today and noticed a thick red wire, with red plug on the end (right next to an ground point) on the left (uk passenger side). Does anyone else have this? and is it likely to be for a 12v socket? I was going to take a pic but had put everything back together before i remembered.

To be honest,

Its hard to say without a picture mate, but i understand you have it all back togeather now,

Its hard to say for sure if the cable on the rear passenger side is for a 12V socket because ford also run loom for reverse camera and sensors on some models.

But if it has a spade socket connection similar to the one pictured in the guide, then go for it worth a try

But 99% of the time the 12v loom is fitted on the drivers side of the boot behind the panel.

Hi Lenny

I took it back to bits, pic attached. I look forward to your feedback.

post-38772-0-99162900-1354455263_thumb.j

after some more investigation with a multimeter and pulling fuses it seems that the red wire is for the towing module. its on its own 20A fuse and is a permanent live 12v supply. Im sure i will be able to make use of that :)

after some more investigation with a multimeter and pulling fuses it seems that the red wire is for the towing module. its on its own 20A fuse and is a permanent live 12v supply. Im sure i will be able to make use of that :)

Sounds good mate,

Sorry for the delay in response, i had intended on responding then i got distracted at home and forgot about the topic until now.

No worries. Just been flicking through my manual and noticed that I have a fuse in my fusebox for what the manual says is a "Luggage compartment power point". Any idea what that might be or if it is an unconnected fuse (no wire on the drivers side that others have)

No worries. Just been flicking through my manual and noticed that I have a fuse in my fusebox for what the manual says is a "Luggage compartment power point". Any idea what that might be or if it is an unconnected fuse (no wire on the drivers side that others have)

The 12v power supply on the drivers side of the boot would be classed as a luggage compartment power point.

But since your model doesnt have the loom fitted then it is likely the fuse port is empty on the board too.

ive checked and the fuse is there, 15A in the slot and the contacts are there too, rather than being empty like the rest. Maybe my car is just odd.

• 2 months later...

Finally!! Given that yesterday was the first chance in a long time I got to spend a couple of hours on the car, I thought I'd make the most of it!

Using the length of wire and plug that Lenny kindly sent me, along with the socket and earth that I had already sourced, I finally got my additional 12V supply in the boot.

As I didn't have a 12V live plug in the boot, I tapped into the live in the front socket, then ran the cable through the steering column, down along the driver's sill under the plastic trim, in behind the rear 'door card' trim (it's a 3 door so no real door card but you know what I mean!), and into the boot. Screwed on my earth and when everything was working I put everything back together again. Drilled a hole in the trim for the socket and shazam! Well pleased with the results, and look forward to getting the use out of it.

Massive thanks to Lenny for the bits to help me on my way. If anyone else, like Charlie, has the same loom as myself without the 12V live plug already in place, just give me a shout and I'll do my best to help. It's at this point I regret not takin pictures as I went along but it's all easily explained...I hope!

Quite a productive day all in, with fitting heated mist washer jets and, perhaps most satisfying of all, finally getting all the residual tint glue off my rear windscreen!

• Like 1

whey hey you finally got it wired up n working

which earth feed did you tap into then mate?

Finally!! Given that yesterday was the first chance in a long time I got to spend a couple of hours on the car, I thought I'd make the most of it!

Using the length of wire and plug that Lenny kindly sent me, along with the socket and earth that I had already sourced, I finally got my additional 12V supply in the boot

Massive thanks to Lenny for the bits to help me on my way. If anyone else, like Charlie, has the same loom as myself without the 12V live plug already in place, just give me a shout and I'll do my best to help. It's at this point I regret not takin pictures as I went along but it's all easily explained...I hope!

Quite a productive day all in, with fitting heated mist washer jets and, perhaps most satisfying of all, finally getting all the residual tint glue off my rear windscreen!

No problem mate,

Thanks for the mention and glad you got it all up and running, i know this will be a great advantage to you when working on site.

For those who dont have the loom fitted and dont know what cable to use,

I highly recomend contacting Dave at autoStar top supplier of automotive cable and he will be happy to supply you with the correct cable once you tell him what you want to hook up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-Figur-8-Power-Audio-Cable-Wire-20-Amp-/170555101155?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b5e04fe3

PLEASE READ eBay LISTINGS FOR CABLE

Adjust purchase Qty:

In order to recieve desired cable length.

And no need to carry both positive and negative core from front to rear.

Split cable red from black,

Run the red only! From front to rear then earth locally in boot.

This will save weight and make it easier to tuck in the cable.

Then as Gary has made a fantastic job of getting his fitted from the front centre console to the boot panel,

He is top man if you require any information on that.

whey hey you finally got it wired up n working

which earth feed did you tap into then mate?

I know mate, about time! Didn't need to tap into an earth, just followed the guide for that part. When i bought the socket it came with the plug and a few inches of wiring. I just removed the spade type connector from the plug, put it into the twin plug that came with the length of cable that Lenny sent me, put a ring terminal on the other end and just put it round the screw that holds in the boot trim panel. Luckily in that sense that the length of wiring was long enough, so at least now I have confidence that all my connections and terminals are secure.

He is top man if you require any information on that.

Cheers Lenny! As I said though, all really straightforward following the same principles of your guide, just a slight work around if the plug isn't already hardwired in to the boot. Happy to help with anybody's questions though!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna order the parts for this n get it fitted next week maybe when they arrive

I'll run a long live feed from the boot to the existing 12v supply in the dash

Am I right in saying I'll need 20amp wire or will 15amp do?

Also, how many metres should I need?

I wouldn't be sure about what grade of wire is needed, but might be safest to go with the 20A stuff. Unless you already have 15A and wanna give that a try, but if you need to order it in you might as well go with the 20A.

I had 3 metres to run from the front socket, behind the steering wheel, under the drivers sill plastic and into the boot. I've a 3 door so it was dead easy to run straight from there and behind the rear plastic trim. I had plenty to spare in my 3metres, and although you might need a tad more that I did if you need to run along the rear door sill and then up into the boot, you should still have more than enough with 3metres.

I just used about 30-40cm of the cable that came attached to my socket and used that to earth onto the boot trim screw.

Really should have took pics!

• Like 1

i've got a length of 15 amp knocking about that will do the job but i'm not sure whether to just order some 20amp anyway

i think the route i would take from the boot to the front 12v supply would be to go up through the boot trim n around the driverside roof lining edge hidden behind the door seals (the same route i took for me reverse camera)

• 1 month later...

I have this very week moved the 12v socket I fitted and installed a Ford standard one like Lenny did, my screw on one under the boot trim was in the perfect place for the dogs to knock, which they did on Sunday pulling the wires through.

Looks much better with a standard style placement.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Very nice find. Is the feed constantly live or does it work with ignition?

Ideally, I would like one which runs on ignition so I could fit a rear facing dash cam which would switch on and record only when the car is actually running.

On the right hand side of the boot compartment on the Mk2.5 Focus and possibly the mk2 also,
their is an orange plug which is a positive feed for a 12v power socket,

the only additional items required to connect is a earth cable and a 12v socket,

attach a female spade connector to the earth feed and push it in to the slot next to the positive feed,

then push the orange connector on to the rear of the 12v power socket,

finally choose a location on the panel you would like to mount the socket and drill the hole.

their is power already being fed to the orange plug so their is no further wiring required.

I Purchased Ford 12v Power supply kit Finis Code: 1021887 this kit has since been discontinued by ford,
but if you wish to purchase the 12v Socket with out the earth cable the Finis code is:1333905 and costs less than £5
once you have that part you just need to make up an earth feed using a female spade connector and a ring terminal on the oposite end.

it contained the 12v plug and cap
4metres of positive cable which i didnt need to use for fitting,
1 metre earth cable with female blade connector and ring terminal attached,
and 8 cable ties which i didnt need to use.

but this orange plug will work with any 12v socket that has 2 pins on the rear like this one found on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27ba8d09b7

I have crimped a ring terminal on to the opposite end of the earth feed cable,
and put it on to the screw that holds the panel in place like a washer then screwed the panel back in to place,

i now need to purchase a holesaw bit to fit the diameter of the 12v socket.

When finished
and the panels are back in place,

take care to ensure the rubber boot seal over laps the plastic interior around the boot opening, to avoid any leaks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice find. Is the feed constantly live or does it work with ignition?

Ideally, I would like one which runs on ignition so I could fit a rear facing dash cam which would switch on and record only when the car is actually running.

its constant feed,

However you could fit a relay then run the sensor feed from an ignition live to the relay,

This would result in power only flowing when the ignition feed is live,

Another option is:

Change the 12v socket fuse location,

You see ford have two power supplys for the 12v sockets in the car,

If you have the fuse in socket 1:

The 12v sockets are constant live up to exactly 1 hour after engine off.

The GEM shuts down to save power after 1 hour.

Socket 2:

The 12v sockets only become live when the key is turned in the ignition.

But i dont know for sure if the 12v supply in the boot is fed from the same supply so you would need to try changing fuse socket an try it,

It may not be on the same supply because its origional purpose was to power a 12V foam tyre compressor which is why i suspect it is always going to be a constant live.