Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locking Wheel Nuts

reppiz

I don't know if it's me being an idiot but would you say it's a lot to to expect a locking wheel nut with a purchase, especially since its (so I've been told today) £65 for a new set and £40+ for removal if you don't have the nut.

I'm annoyed as I sold my car with the wheel nut, and even showed them where it was (based on my experiences with the AA and going to have a set of Brembos on my last car and..you guessed it) so I know the importance of stuff like this, like I said, I showed them where it was, supplied all new centre caps and I'm stuck now.

Its the six pointed rounded looking 'star of david shape' but seriously what with the door cards which I need to sort out, a gaiter that was in pieces (I've fixed that) and now the locking nut, is there a cheaper alternative?

TIA

Reppiz

Was it a private sale or garage , if garage then they shuold supply it

Garage, pretty much adopted a Sold as seen attitude- I can't afford another £65.

Check out your local dealer mine took my four lock nuts off for a fiver (poss more as i was a never leaving customer) i offered a fiver beer money, and that was that four nuts removed and he torqued on fouf standards i bought from eBay..

OK ring them or go back and say you have phoned Trading standards , and tell them they have 5 days to respond , You have rights they are breaking them.

OK ring themor go back and say you have phoned Trading standards , and tell them they have 5 days to respond , You have rights they are breaking them.

I don't know if it's me being an idiot but would you say it's a lot to to expect a locking wheel nut with a purchase, especially since its (so I've been told today) £65 for a new set and £40+ for removal if you don't have the nut.

I'm annoyed as I sold my car with the wheel nut, and even showed them where it was (based on my experiences with the AA and going to have a set of Brembos on my last car and..you guessed it) so I know the importance of stuff like this, like I said, I showed them where it was, supplied all new centre caps and I'm stuck now.

Its the six pointed rounded looking 'star of david shape' but seriously what with the door cards which I need to sort out, a gaiter that was in pieces (I've fixed that) and now the locking nut, is there a cheaper alternative?

TIA

Reppiz

try fleabay

Cheers all, I'll have a look around on ebay- if you have any links please send them this way. Also off topic but the door rivets, I have a thread on the go probably best post there but I can't seem to find the ones for the Focus MK2 and I don't want to take the door off again to measure them!

• 2 weeks later...

Any more on this please chaps? I've spoken to a few companies who remove locking wheel nuts and they want (cough) seventy quid!! I need another key making as they only gave me one and that's going to be LOADS..So if I can save a few quid on this it would be great, I'd really like to get this sorted ASAP - what else could I try? :(

i believe halford sell a tool for removeing the locknuts

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_196491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216#tab4

failing that you could try drilling a hole ofset from the middle on the face of the nut then use a punch to tap it round.( either method is gonna damage the nuts).took my locking nuts of when i got the car ..you just know they're gonna bite you in the bum .. if they really want the wheels ..lock nuts arnt going to stop them

i believe halford sell a tool for removeing the locknuts

http://www.halfords....yId_255216#tab4

failing that you could try drilling a hole ofset from the middle on the face of the nut then use a punch to tap it round.( either method is gonna damage the nuts).took my locking nuts of when i got the car ..you just know they're gonna bite you in the bum .. if they really want the wheels ..lock nuts arnt going to stop them

What a great tool. Mind you its one of those things you may only need to use once, unless you own a garage.

What a great tool. Mind you its one of those things you may only need to use once, unless you own a garage.

Some mixed results on customer reviews but always worth having for emergenct use.

At that price who can complain?

Maybe this tool could also help:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53e0db6e37

but I'm not sure 100%. We used to remove locking nuts by welding smaller nut on top of locking one or simply used nut and hummer to make it sit tight on locking nut, but it is not always possible, depends on type / pattern.

Cheers all, I took alook at the Halfords 'lazer' removal nut but it only works on one of those air compressor thingumys plus the bead was really fat so would be fine if you had half a cm or so play but mine takes up the whole width so a head will not fit over the nut which is how the Hlafords ones work mine is either gonna be drilled out or find the exact head, they really are a pain in the backside particularly if people can't even be bothered to look after them, weeks before I sold my car I made a note to myself to locate and put the nut somewhere v safe, when I sold it it was bagged and in the glove compartment and I made a point of showing the buyer, I did however fail to check for one on my new purchase, which is my fault, but I just hoped that someone had taken the time like I did, moan moan!

Did you try contacting your local dealer / dealers? as I say they took mine off for free, I just gave them a fiver beer money!

Did you try contacting your local dealer / dealers? as I say they took mine off for free, I just gave them a fiver beer money!

Tried my local Ford dealer and they want £45 + VAT, then there's the problem of replacing the nuts too :(

Thats takin the mick a little bit! I guess mine were nice to me cos I was such a regular with faults...

All they need to do is open their master key box, and take your nut off... its not a hard or time consuming job...!

is that £45+VAT the cost of the labour? or is that also including new nuts? sounds like the former not the latter either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats takin the mick a little bit! I guess mine were nice to me cos I was such a regular with faults...

All they need to do is open their master key box, and take your nut off... its not a hard or time consuming job...!

is that £45+VAT the cost of the labour? or is that also including new nuts? sounds like the former not the latter either way!

Hello mate, no that's £45 labour and I think around £65 the whole lot!

pffft... thats taking the mick a little... post your key code on here, someone may be able to send you theirs as a loan so you can get yours ripped off... lol

I had to pay £80 when this happened to me with my last car Vauxhall , Indi tyre garage would not go near it.

when mine went the indie had to cut the wheels off...

Pree, do you have (as JohnH does) the ford ecat software? does that have anything on locking wheel nuts? or a lookup against the keycode to what set you need?

when mine went the indie had to cut the wheels off...

Pree, do you have (as JohnH does) the ford ecat software? does that have anything on locking wheel nuts? or a lookup against the keycode to what set you need?

I do yes , TBH i have never really looked i will go and kick up my PC and take a look.

It does show a code and finis code for the locking wheel nuts for my car , but i will have to actually get my locking wheel nuts out and take a look to see if that relates to the actual wheel nuts fitted to my car.

something like that could help if it does point it out!

ok i have checked my locking wheel nuts.

Microcat gives three different codes for locking wheel nuts for my car , usually it stops you proceeding but i can select all three.

The first one points to the steel wheel section The Finis code is 7 numbers the last four matching four of the numbers in my code like this

Finis= 1118208

my code = XXX8208X

the other 2 codes that are given under Alloy wheel gives to code that do not match my number in anyway.

By going to the workbench window it will let me select all three

What i need is some one else to PM me their Vin and Locking wheel nut code then i can check for consistancy

It seems this Micromat does load your car details but things like you would expect it to say like wheel nut code or radio code theres no information so Ford must use something else