Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Start Up

acetopbanana

I have a power start button in my Focus and on several occasions, I have had to hold the button down for longer to start the engine. Also, sometimes when I prepare to stop (approaching a junction, for example), I would put the gear back into neutral and the engine would sometimes drop to below 500 RPM, almost to a point when it nearly stalls, and the engine would rev up again. I've noticed that these problems occur when it is particularly cold. Sorry guys, it's the best I could describe. Has anyone had any similar problems?

Hi Ace,

the idling issue sounds to me like the ICV needs replacing / checking at least, the Idle Control Valve will have a lot of effect on the way it drops then flies up through the rev range.

As for the starter, you say you have to press it for longer, do you mean its taking longer to turn over? or is it the button not responding until after you have pressed for a few seconds?

Hi Jee,

Thanks for the information regarding the ICV, I'll have it checked out. As for the button, you're right, sometimes I have to press it a little longer than usual before it fires up. In this case, the engine does take a little longer to turn over. Could this be related to the ICV?

Could well be, or the MAF sensor, just something simple, I doubt it will be starter related, maybe its just choking up a little as you try to turn it over? just to double check, you press it and it makes the turnover noises, but it just takes a little longer to get there?

Could well be, or the MAF sensor, just something simple, I doubt it will be starter related, maybe its just choking up a little as you try to turn it over? just to double check, you press it and it makes the turnover noises, but it just takes a little longer to get there?

That's right

Check the valves, and air filters, and even the fuel filters, it just sounds to me like the engine is choking up as you try to start it.

Change the Fuel / oil / Air filters as standard parts of the service (or if they arent to be done until next year do them anyway) I would also consider taking the car to be reviewed for any errors with the ICV. This could be replaced under warranty.

Due to the fact that your car can reach 500 revs without stalling, I presume you have a diesel? If so look at getting the EGR valve cleaned using Whynns EGR cleaner or similar.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club