Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Ford Focus Power Drain

CPS

Hello Everyone,

Have a problem with my Focus in that I near enough have to charge it every night so that I can ensure it starts again in the morning. The model is a 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Ghia.

I've taken it to the garage a few times now and they have ran a diagnostic test on it which didn't find anything. I've also had 2 new batteries (one renewed under warranty just in case I had 2 duff ones on the trot) and it's had a new alternator of which both haven't solved the problem.

It's a real pain as you can imagine and a real shame as it's a cracking car otherwise. Would really appreciate if anyone had any other ideas/solutions or knows of anyone else with the issue?

Cheers

Chris

Hi might be something simple like the boot light staying on might be worth taking the bulb out see if this works i,ve known this on other cars just thought cos this would virtually deaden a battery over night

steads

Thanks for the reply steads.

Already checked that, sorry. Also wire-brushed and checked the earth straps. It's a real mystery.

Cheers

Chris

Boot lights etc switch off after an hour to prevent battery drain are we sure its the battery and not a glow plug fault or the glow plug relay not switching off. Diagnostics wont show the issue you need qn auto electrician who will find the issue

Boot lights etc switch off after an hour to prevent battery drain are we sure its the battery and not a glow plug fault or the glow plug relay not switching off. Diagnostics wont show the issue you need qn auto electrician who will find the issue

if this is a likely source i would try removing the relay overnight see if it cure the problem i,ve got a range rover and if the ecu does not go into what they call sleep mode it will flaten the battery overnight even something like radio waves interfering with the central locking not sure if same principal is used on a focus but when i had a similar problem on that it was just the battery 3 rd one in 3 years got a super heavy duty Bosch on it now so don.t rule out another duff battery especially with the recent cold snap .

steads

After market stereo fitted?? Not sure if its a issue with fords but our house mate has just got a fiat seicento and even though the stereo plugs are a straight switch there is an issue were it drains the battery over night.

you got a multi meter which you can use to check certain circuits to see if you can find a source of the drain?

if this is a likely source i would try removing the relay overnight see if it cure the problem i,ve got a range rover and if the ecu does not go into what they call sleep mode it will flaten the battery overnight even something like radio waves interfering with the central locking not sure if same principal is used on a focus but when i had a similar problem on that it was just the battery 3 rd one in 3 years got a super heavy duty bosch on it now so don.t rule out another duff battery especially with the recent cold snap .

steads

I had a Honda Civic before and this was a problem on them. There was a unit called the MICU (or similar) which somehow was linked with the sensors on the windscreen for the auto lights and wipers. They would not go into 'sleep mode' so once it went dark or it rained while the car was parked/locked, the sensors were draining the battery.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gives me some other things to have a look at :) Removing the relay may be the first option, can anyone point in the right direction as to where it is/looks like?

Also it maybe worth noting that it doesn't necessarily require charging everyday, can last a few on its own but I don't want to take any chances :unsure:

Cheers

Chris