Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Cdti Vs 2.0 Cdti

Liam Bowers

Hi folks,

I'm hopefully about to join the world of Focus drivers but before I do so, I'd appreciate a little help If I may.

I might be doing up to 80 miles a day (mostly motorways and A roads) so have narrowed it down to either the 1.8 CDTi or the 2.0 CDTi. Ideally around 2008, price permitting. Most likely a Zetec, if it matters.

I've had a brief test drive of a 58 plate 2.0 CDTi and enjoyed it but could do with comparing it to the 1.8 variant.

a) What is the realistic MPG for each? On paper the 1.8 beats the 2.0 a little as you might expect but would like to know what it's like in reality.

b) Oomph. As I was being a little sneaky and terrorising the staff at carcraft (or they were terrorising me, I'm not entirely sure) I couldn't properly put my foot down to give it a decent test. From what I could tell, it definitely had something there. How does this compare with the 1.8? The reason I ruled the 1.6 out was because of it apparently being underpowered.

c) Are there any other notable differences between the two?

d) What's the reliability like? Any issues I should be aware of?

I don't think either option would be a bad one and I'd like to go for more power if it isn't too costly. I guess I'd just prefer to do my research now before finding out the hard way!

Thanks for your help,

Liam

I have no experience of the 2.0TDCi, but I have the 1.8TDCi Zetec Climate 56plate. In my view, this is a very good engine.... It is based on the older Endura D lump, but more refined, and is SOHC, rather then the DOHC of the 1.6 and 2.0, but I dont think this makes much difference. Whilst I have had issues with the car, not one can be attributed to the Engine or powertrain, its been faultless. It can be noisy when revved hard, but it is responsive, and pokey when needed. mine is used predominantly for motorway driving, and I get on avarage around 58MPG+ Its done over 88000 miles now, and still running sweet. The only thing I would say about this engine is it MUST be regularly serviced, particularly the oil changes must be adhered too. If it gets sludgy, you can be in deep S*** The other thing is the 1.8 has no diesel particulate filter, which seems to cause much heartache on the 1.6 and 2.0 In the end, its your choice, but you cant go far wrong with the 1.8 in my personal view.

The 1.8 is the only one of the range that is actually a ford engine, the 1.6 / 2.0 are DMF 16 valve peugeot engines.

It certainly seems from other posts that DMF cars have problems with stripped teeth and common rail injectors.

I was advised to get the 1.8 due to these problems and find it to be a cracking lump even for being an 8 valve.

It's a modern take on fords tried and tested engine and is pretty much bomb proof.

It's also very good for remapping / chipping.

Put it this way - most police cars i've driven in the last few years have been the 1.8, our mechanics prefer them as they get less problems with them. (our cars do get driven hard daily).

Urban driving returns about 35 MPG and motorway use gives me about 58 MPG (may just be my driving though or the remap i had done)

Goes like stink too. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club