Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

Hi James,

I didn't explain it very well. If I'm doing 70 with cruise control engaged and have to brake due to traffic this disengages CC. When the traffic has cleared and I press the the res button, it's like I have put my foot to the floor and accelerate back to 70 rapido. It's the same when I press the + button to adjust me speed slightly. Not a smooth acceleration at all. I was just wondering if a software upgrade was available to smooth this out.

Dave

Hi James,

I didn't explain it very well. If I'm doing 70 with cruise control engaged and have to brake due to traffic this disengages CC. When the traffic has cleared and I press the the res button, it's like I have put my foot to the floor and accelerate back to 70 rapido. It's the same when I press the + button to adjust me speed slightly. Not a smooth acceleration at all. I was just wondering if a software upgrade was available to smooth this out.

Dave

You need to learn to drive more sporty ;) For me, cruise accelerates almost the same pace than I accelerate by myself. However, do not know if this is engine or model dependent, if you have more powerful engine, it accelerates more rapidly or something...

But there is nothing you can do, at least with elmconfig. Doubt nobody has created custom firmware either, with smoother cruise... But you know, after braking, you can always manually accelerate to ~target speed and THEN press res or + to re-engange cruise? This way you can personally accelerate just like you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi FYL,

Correct, I Took the connector from the scrap car steering wheel removed the 2 pins with the brown and white wires did the same on connector c103. Opened up my connectors and inserted the pins. Ran connecting wires between the two. Plugged them back in. Ran the test to confirm the GEM and HEC recognised the buttons on my steering wheel. The wiring diagrams in the Guides part of the forum shows the pin numbers and confirms that it is a straight run between the steering wheel and GEM.

Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Just took a look at the GEM pins and confirm the Pins are there. So looking positive. Just ordered a USB ELM327 cable :)

Hi folks, been following this topic for around a year now. Bought a four spoke steering wheel and the airbag cover at least 8 months ago but from what people where saying did not want to rip my beloved three spoke out only for the CC not to work as my GEM was apparently the wrong type and being the tight ars£ i didnt want to pay someone to do it in case it didnt work either.

But after the update to the PCM module in ELM Config i thought i would play around with it see what i could figure out. I did not want to lose my three spoke wheel, dislike the four spoke very very much think its looks too chunky IMO so i thought i would see if there was a way round it. I will just say now for all the perfectionists out there this was a try and error thing and is far from perfect but anyone thinking of doing the same can benefit from my mistakes :D

1st thing i done was to check that CC would actualy work so i took the CC connector bit from four spoke wheel and connected them DIRECTLY to the wires under steering wheel, on the way back home (had just done a night shift) about 40MPH pressed +set nothing thought ohh here we go :( then i pressed on followed by +set and ^_^ it worked CC light came on dash followed by the most unusual feeling after i took my foot off the gas and speed was maintained :o

Half an hour later im home and started taking steering wheel apart :) i was just trying different things to fit the CC buttons

post-37256-0-91944000-1379112373_thumb.jpost-37256-0-04519800-1379112417_thumb.j

Put the buttons into the steering wheel then cut the bits off on either side for the buttons (cut too much off on both sides so had to glue back some of the bits back)

post-37256-0-35330000-1379113162_thumb.j

Screwed the buttons into place to the back of the steering wheel

post-37256-0-47869200-1379114076_thumb.j

Put the airbag back on

post-37256-0-31261100-1379114115_thumb.j

And this is the finished product

post-37256-0-84231200-1379114154_thumb.j

Very pleased with the results and the buttons feel very secure too.

Hope this helps someone, i have everyone on here to thank for all the information supplied

Very tidy job indeed and saves having to swap wheels and airbag covers too.

very nice. That's an idea I was thinking off before but I wasn't too sure if the buttons would fit the 3 spoke wheel.

Does it fit well? ie no wobble on the buttons etc.

Also when you screwed them in, did you use self tapping screws?

From what I've read about the airbag cover removal I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

I wasn't too sure to begin with either but I thought I've still got the four spoke wheel if it all goes wrong.

In regards to how it all fit, I was surprised myself after I screwed them in. I was expecting some kind of play or wobble on the buttons but nothing, they are as steady and solid as can be in my opinion. Even before I put the airbag back in I couldn't get them to wobble, I did try!

I might be wrong but I think the bases of the steering wheels are the same size and if so then the only difference between the two other than the number of spokes might be that the four spoke wheel has extra space on the sides to accommodate the CC buttons and the housing they sit on so by cutting out the wheel I sort of created my own space.

Yes I did use self tapping screw and they had to be the right size otherwise they'll go straight through the wheel and into the housing and other bits back there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after reading through the thread I've decided to go down the Cruise Control route with my 06 1.8tdci sport focus. Purchased steering wheel with cc panels from an 09 focus and the airbag plus cover. Swopped over the wheel and airbag, very straight forward tbh. Now need to get cc activated in IDS. Been quoted £45 by main dealer in Harrogate (Benfield), is that reasonable ?

I was thinking about going down the Russian software route but my laptop is windows 8 and I don't think it will be comparable with the software and cable ?

alright mate, seems like you have done the hard part which in my opinion is trying to source the parts. I suppose if you dont have the time and patience to do it yourself then £45 seems, i repeat seem like a reasonable price until it hits you that it only take them the best part of 10mins to activate CC if that. So i suppose its really up to you some people sell the cable already modified so all you will have to do is download the software and follow a few steps to activate it.

I can confirm that the cable and software will work on Windows 8 because my computer is running Windows 8 as well and thats what i used to activate my CC.

In my opinion i would say go the cable route and if that doesn't work then you still got the offer from Ford to fall back on and the cable is not that expensive at all, you might also want to consider that u could activate a whole bunch of other options with the cable after activating CC and you can read and clear fault codes :)

My ELM cable is by far the best thing i bought for my car :D

I have the adapted ELM cable and have now downloaded the links from the ELM cable thread. Now I'm not tech savvy so in simpleton terms what do I need to do to run the software with my cable and OBD port etc to activate cc ? Once I get the tech bit sorted in my head I know I'll be up and running....hopefully.

Im still wanting to do this, I got all the kit except the toggle switches and the wires, lol.

Can anyone advise which wires and switches are the best to use for this? (links would be appreciated). Also, to get to the cruise control adapter / end of the wires going to the gem (where you actually plug your home made / 4 spoke with inbuilt CC) in to get the buttons into the gem - do you need to remove just the cover, the airbag or anything else?

I hope to get playing with this soon, but want to be prepared! and if I can avoid disconnecting the battery it would be preferred, but not at the expense of an airbag blowing suicide on me!

I took the negative battery lead off and waited 5 minutes just to make sure. Then released the steering wheel rake adjustment and pulled it out and down as far as possble. Just remember you'll need your radio code. After that I had the air bag out in minutes, you'll need a 24mm socket for the steering wheel swop. I just need to sort out how to run the down loaded programs on my laptop now. Idiots guide would be helpful for me.

Yeah I am hoping to wire it into the switches on my stereo controls, as I dont have a standard stereo and dont use them, I just need to know where exactly the adapter is to wire into!

I took the negative battery lead off and waited 5 minutes just to make sure. Then released the steering wheel rake adjustment and pulled it out and down as far as possble. Just remember you'll need your radio code. After that I had the air bag out in minutes, you'll need a 24mm socket for the steering wheel swop. I just need to sort out how to run the down loaded programs on my laptop now. Idiots guide would be helpful for me.

did you download the DLL files as well? I take it you have not used the cable before either?

I think all you need to do is run program as administrator if you get any errors then you might want to try and download the DLL files and install them. try running program as administrator again if you run into any errors again try the following, it does work on windows 8 as well

post-37256-0-30317300-1381510582_thumb.j

After i did this thats when i could run program on my laptop with windows 8. If you manage to get the program running then the rest is very straight forward i will have a look for the link when i get a minute. But try that for now see how it goes hope that i have put it in simple enough terms :D

Yeah I am hoping to wire it into the switches on my stereo controls, as I dont have a standard stereo and dont use them, I just need to know where exactly the adapter is to wire into!

i was a bit confused as to begin with about which connector you were on about but i think i know now. its the same connector that you plug the airbag into if i remember right you cant miss it if you take your air out. i will have a look im sure i have a picture of it some where. have you already modded the radio stalk so that you can work the CC?

did you download the DLL files as well? I take it you have not used the cable before either?

I think all you need to do is run program as administrator if you get any errors then you might want to try and download the DLL files and install them. try running program as administrator again if you run into any errors again try the following, it does work on windows 8 as well

attachicon.gifelm37h.jpg

After i did this thats when i could run program on my laptop with windows 8. If you manage to get the program running then the rest is very straight forward i will have a look for the link when i get a minute. But try that for now see how it goes hope that i have put it in simple enough terms :D

if you manage to get the program running then you need to activate CC in HEC and GEM then follow the instructions on http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/page-97 post number 1451 and there is another post on this topic i believe its post number 311, between the two posts you should be able to activate it, seems daunting but its easy enough when you looking at the actual program

i was a bit confused as to begin with about which connector you were on about but i think i know now. its the same connector that you plug the airbag into if i remember right you cant miss it if you take your air out. i will have a look im sure i have a picture of it some where. have you already modded the radio stalk so that you can work the CC?

got the picture im almost certain that the connector you are on about is the black one circled in blue, hope you can see it fine or zoom in close enough. you can access the wires from under the steering wheel without having to take the airbag off its the brown wire and the brown wire

post-37256-0-77881400-1381515248_thumb.j

If I can get away without pulling my airbag out better still. I know you can remove the cowling and see the wires, just don't really want to have to cut the wires in half...

Not got as far as the switches and wiring, not sure which wires I need to buy specifically :-(

I had to do the same thing, but for me it was for testing purposes before the main job. Yea you can access the wires by removing the cowling, given, there is not much room to work with and if I remember well the two wires are kind of twisted into each other which doesn't help either but I was able to do it without cutting the wires in half, and managed to test and use the CC this way but I was using the original CC buttons from a 4 spoke wheel. hopefully that fills u with a bit of confidence.

I've seen a website that sold or rather sells the stereo control already modified with CC buttons but it's in Russia and they were a bit on the expensive side, can't remember the website tho I'll see if I can get a link.

Good news and bad news, after experimenting with my adapted ELM cable I'm now able to use the IDS software.

I've turned on the Cruise Control on IPC and BCM and the CC works, BUT the light doesn't appear on my instrument panel anywhere. I've double checked the IPC and its ticked and saved.

1. Can anyone with CC activated please tell me where it appears on the instrument panel ?

2. Has anybody else had the same problem ?

Hi Ian,

Are you referring to Ford IDS itself, or are you more referring to the ELM Config software?

With regards CC, you need the green light, I think its RHS (speedo) area, around the centre. Access the trip computer self diagnostics and do the lamp test, this may indicate that the LED has gone, or that it is there, just not lighting up.

Does the CC actually kick in?

Did you click "Set" then plus or minus to lock it in?

Hi James

I used the ELM modified cable with the Russian IDS software. Went into IPC tick boxed CC then write configuration then into BCM ticked CC and saved again. Went for a test drive and all CC functions work perfectly. It's just the CC light which doesn't appear on the dash when activated. Is there any where else I need to activate to get the light working ??

You mention the self diagnostic check, how do I do that and how do I use it ?

I've done the beep test using the rear heated window button and ignition.

The software I'm using is:

ELM -FF2_EN

As I said earlier the CC works perfectly just not the light.

I've been into DDM/PCM but there is nothing in there re CC.

I think you need to turn it on in the HEC section. (dash cluster)

After searching for Self Diagnostic check I've now found out how to do it and what it does:

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Instrument_Cluster_Self-Diagnostic_Mode

When selecting All LCD I have found out my Focus Tdci Sport 2006 doesn't have CC light on the dash, but I have CC working so I'm happy. May explain why others have had the same problem in the past.

Good Find, however I suspect you may have the light, but no bulb for it.