Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

Replied on the ELM Config thread.

I wonder if any member could help me with advice on how to remove the lower steering column shroud on my 2008 C-Max so I can check for CC wires? If have removed the top cover after releasing the clips, the radio controls and removed two torx screws from the lower cover, one black and one silver. However, the cover does not want to move and I am afraid of applying too much force. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I would start by just looking at the fuseboard, and the main wiring harness for the brown and white.

If you just remove the bottom layer of cowling from under the steering column, you can then see the wires travelling through there.

Jeebowhite, thank you for taking the time to reply. At the start of this guide, Pidu suggests checking for the CC wires (white/brown) just behind the steering wheel. To do this, the lower part of the steering column cover has to be removed. Pidu says that it is held by clips from the top part and two Torx screws. The radio remote stalk also has to be removed. I have done all these things but the cover shows no sign of being loose, have I missed some other fixings? Pidu's guide was originally written for a Focus rather than a C-Max so there my be differences.

If the wires are present, I plan modifying the radio remote stalk to control the CC. I have checked the circuit board and the necessary circuit, given earlier in this guide, is easily implemented by changing a few of the surface mount resistors. I really do not want to remove the steering wheel given the issues of fiddling with the airbag. So it is all down to removing the lower cover.....

Although mine is the Focus CMAX, I found that it was just two clips.

As a precautionary method, I removed the upper half of the steering column as well to ensure that there was no damage caused by my heavy hands! but I unscrewed the two Torx screws, then lowered the steering height adjuster, and leaving it loose, was able to pull the plastic down. Its easier to start by pulling it away from the ignition barrel and downwards.

Jeebowhite, following your advice I was able to remove the lower cover quite easily. Just hope I can get it back! The connector has 6 wires including the all important white/brown ones. I plan to connect these wires to my modified radio stalk and enable CC using ELMConfig. Many thanks.

no worries!

I am just hoping that Civil can get hold of my PCM type as I am desperately trying to do the same :p

Using ELMConfig v.0.2.13b.

Having wired up my CC buttons, I have attempted to activate CC in the electronic modules with ELMConfig. I believe 0.2.13b to be the latest version. GEM and HEC were successful but I encountered a problem with PCM. I received the warning message "There is a non-empty VID block found in PCM. To write a new VID block reprogramming must be performed first". Please could any member advise me on how to proceed. Thanks.

Success! I have found that CC is working despite that fact that I was not able to enable it PCM, only GEM and HEC. Reading back the status of PCM using ELMConfig shows that integrated speed control is not checked, nevertheless it works.

Mine is the same.

It is not checked on reading PCM but has been working regardless for a year now..........

• 3 months later...

Looking forward to doing this!

I've been 'clean' for two years having not done anything to me focus!

All the Airbag covers however are £60 on eBay :o

Already got my wheel so it's just that part left, let the waiting game begin...

Call up a few scrapyards, you could easily pick a cover up for a lot less than that!

Call up a few scrapyards, you could easily pick a cover up for a lot less than that!

Will do!

• 5 weeks later...

Well done.

Shame that James Simpson trawls the internet and makes ideas his own (he even has the cheek to copyright Ford fitting instruction sheets :d)

• Like 1

Hello to the community. Sorry for my English. I have a ford focus
mk2 owned 2005 and I am asking for your opinion if I
should give a try for retrofitting cruise control.

The gem number is 4M5T-14A073-AE and there are no brown and white cables. The same to the connector under steering column.

The switches on clutch pedal and on the brake pedal are present.

I think that I have to place the brown and white cable from the gem to the wheel. Also I am
thinking of buying these (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2005-2011-2010-2011-2012-2013-Ford-Focus-2-MK2-car-speed-control-cruise-control-switch/1741793415.html) instead of a steering wheel.

I believe that since the are the switches on the pedals that it is possible that the cruise control will work.

What do you think?

You will definately need to run the wires up from the gem to the steering area, but you will also need to check with that seller what the resistances are for each switch, ask them to confirm whats in use as the mondeo are different, so its best to get it clarified, as they may be selling mondeo only for the focus and not even know it! but if it works, that is the best part of it, saves you from buying a new wheel, dont need to modify your stalk, so its the least invasive method, but does the job nicely!

Odd that the brake switches are present but not the under steering wires...

By resistances you mean the items that I have to place in gem in order for the cruise control to work. I cab find them from the owner's manual. Do I have to buy certain kind of cables too?

The resistors are built into the switches if you buy the part from alibaba, each switch has a resistance and closes the circuit. When the car sees nothing there, it doesnt worry, but for every other resistance switch it knows which button you pressed. If you go through this thread there is a wiring diagram.if you wanted to make your own. I just used some thin wire off eBay for a couple of quid, and it did the job you dont need anything special.

Can you give me an eBay address for the wires? I was thinking that I could try the switches first directly to the gem connector.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I'm looking to add cruise control, have activated it in the gem, instrument cluster and PCM (I hope!) but need the buttons etc to test.

Does anyone know if the mk1 buttons would plug in and work ok just for testing purposes?

Only mk2 buttons I can find are more than I want to throw away if it wont work.

Hi Paul, the MK1 wont work as I believe they are different resistances, and the mondeo wont work either.

you can either wire them yourself, orbuy the steering wheel / just the switches.

Alternatively you could go to the likes of China where they have built the buttons direct into the volume control stalk.

Thanks for that info, you wouldn't happen to have a link for anybody selling the modified volume control stalk would you, I've searched and couldn't find anything.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club