Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

There are some tutorials on the Russian Ford Focus forum but I can only find the 4-spoke ones.

This one is 3-spoke using Mazda Tribute buttons: http://ffclub.ru/topic/3475/jump_6930/?pid=15720021#entry15720021 Doesn't look too bad actually

Use Google Translate :)

only for 4 spokes? What about this one: https://www.drive2.ru/l/4095935/

FatLadZ & int0x13, as Igor said, those buttons are designed for the 4 spoke steering wheel. They could be fitted to a 3 spoke wheel, but I'm on the same side with Igor about this, in my opinion it would look too weird (that's only my opinion). As you can see in this photo, the angle of spokes is different on 3 and 4 spoke wheels, so the buttons don't even sit correctly next to the two upper spokes on a 3 spoke steering wheel.

Please bear in mind that if you decide to install those buttons on any 3 spoke or 4 spoke steering wheel, there are two parts (problems) in this process, first you will need to cut away a small part of the steering wheel side wall, and second, you will need to find a material of suitable quality and shape to fit behind the new buttons. Try to find a photo of OEM steering wheel with cruise control with airbag and buttons removed and take a close look at it, you will notice that there are two thick rubber pads behind the cruise control buttons. If you just cut the side wall and fit the buttons, the space immediately behind the buttons will be left empty.

Regarding the Chinese radio control stalk buttons, I have fitted them to my car just as Igor, and they work perfectly. The build quality is great, they used nice but sturdy buttons. I have taken it apart and guess what, the Chinese actually modify an OEM radio control stalk and fit the buttons, so the quality of the actual radio control is OEM. I even find having the button on the radio control stalk convenient, because I like to keep my hands a bit behind the wheel while driving, and I often change stations and volume, so for me, having the CC buttons there is more convenient than if they were on the steering wheel.

When it comes to installing it, it's the easiest option, even easier than simply replacing the wheel. You just plug out your old radio control stalk, plug in the new one, and then you need to connect the two CC wires. When you remove the steering wheel column plastic covers, you need to find the right connector. It is located exactly beneath and behind the steering wheel (on the down side). You will see a straight connector with 9 wires. Disconnect it and connect the two cruise control wires to connector wires 4 and 5 (brown and white). You can connect them either way around, it will work. Then follow the procedure for activating the cruise control. Please notice that since you will probably need to disconnect this connector in order to connect the two CC wires, disconnect the battery first and wait for at least 10 minutes, because that way you will also disconnect the airbag wires.

Here's a photo of the connector (from Focus schematics) with the two CC wires marked in blue:

cruisecontrolconnectorc8.jpg

• Like 2

... You will see a straight connector with 9 wires. Disconnect it and connect the two cruise control wires to connector wires 4 and 5 (brown and white). ...

Yeah, I didn't even disconnect the connector but used cable splices like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICK-SPLICE-SCOTCH-LOCK-WIRE-CONNECTORS-ELECTRICAL-CRIMP-TERMINALS-CABLE-SNAP-/200995966830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ecc4b0f6e

I owe you guys an update on my CC activation efforts...

I have successfully activated CC on my Focus about 20 days ago, but I'm struggling to find time to tell you about it.

I have tried to activate the CC in PCM for 5 or 6 times, re-flashing PCM every time. It would accept the new configuration every time, and it never asked me any questions about the VID block. I even tried several times just to tick the Cruise Control check-box and click Write to PCM, but it still didn't work.

Then something came to my attention. In my car, the information that is supposed to be in the Configuration page in PCM section of ElmConfig was missing. It was missing from the beginning, the following entries were blank: Fuel Octane, Fuel Type, Transmission Type, Alternator Type, Speed Signal Source, Vehicle Type, and Body Type, and the Country is set to Base calibration/Japanese market. I didn't want to change these parameters because my car was working fine and because I was afraid I would mess up something. Then it occurred to me that perhaps my PCM was refusing to use the CC function because it was lacking these parameters. I started filling them one by one and clicking Write to PCM after each one. I left the Fuel Octane and Type as it is because I didn't know what to input (no diesel there), and I also tried to change the country information to European market, but it kept telling me that VID block doesn't match chosen PCM type. I did however change all the other entries, I set transmission to Manual, Alternator to 120A, Speed Signal Source to ABS via CAN, and the last two entries to Ford Focus and 5-door.

It accepted all the entries and later that day during my trip home, I tried to activate the CC without even assuming that it might work now as a result of those changes, and to my great surprise, it did. Everything works perfectly!

However, there is one more PCM entry that might have caused the CC not to work. Ever since I bought it, my car had a permanent DTC in PCM which is P1635 (Tire/Axle ratio out of acceptable range). That DTC would come on again every time after I delete it. I even once asked the guys at an authorized Ford service to correct it, and they input the (allegedly) correct value (the original value was 64, and they put in 4.33), but the DTC kept appearing. At the same time when I set the aforementioned entries in PCM, I also downloaded the As-Built data for my car, and it said that correct value for Tire/Axle ratio is 3.41. I input that value and now the P1635 DTC is not showing up any more, and together with the aforementioned entries, the CC started to work.

So, my suggestion is, if you are having difficulties getting cruise control to work, check the Configuration page entries and set them correctly, and also make sure there are no DTCs in your PCM.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Says on the website for the elm that it's sold out is there anywhere else online to buy it ? also anyone in the houghton le spring area willing to activate the cc on my 05 petrol focus for me ? cheers. :)

Hi

Says on the website for the elm that it's sold out is there anywhere else online to buy it ? also anyone in the houghton le spring area willing to activate the cc on my 05 petrol focus for me ? cheers. :)

Plenty of them still on eBay, search for ELM327. You can probably find one that's already modified with a switch. The cable ones are most reliable since WiFi or bluetooth can disconnect mid job.

Hi

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp

Oops now i see the sold out

• Like 1

Hi

I bought this one: link

It's a Chinese clone with FTDI chip that works very well at 500 000 bps.

• Like 1

Plenty of them still on ebay, search for ELM327. You can probably find one that's already modified with a switch. The cable ones are most reliable since WiFi or Bluetooth can disconnect mid job.

Cheers.

That looks just fine.

Excellent, thanks. :)

That looks just fine.

Arrived today, it came with some software and drivers on a disc, do I need to download anything else ? Ive noticed it doesn't look the same as some of the pictures on here when I plug it in. ?

What part doesn't look the same?

What part doesn't look the same?

The previous pictures on this thread, I'm probably doing something wrong. :)

The previous pictures on this thread, I'm probably doing something wrong. :)

Are you referring to pictures of ElmConfig software? If that's the case you need to explain a bit better what's happening, what exactly are you seeing.

Regarding your ELM adapter, if for some reason the CD doesn't contain the right drivers, and if it really has an FTDI chip like the eBay listing claims, you can download drivers from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

• Like 1

Are you referring to pictures of ElmConfig software? If that's the case you need to explain a bit better what's happening, what exactly are you seeing.

Regarding your ELM adapter, if for some reason the CD doesn't contain the right drivers, and if it really has an FTDI chip like the eBay listing claims, you can download drivers from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

I think Ive sussed it mate, Forscan and the elm config software are different things ?

I think Ive sussed it mate, Forscan and the elm config software are different things ?

They sure are, two different pieces of software.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd post here as this thread brought me to the forum initially. I have not read all 45 pages yet but noticed the comment on the original post regarding the C GEM. My Focus Style has C GEM but contains all the wiring required for CC. I am having the CC steering wheel fitted on Friday, then hopefully will get it programmed at Ford Bussey's Norwich at the weekend (unless someone in Norfolk/East Anglia has the necessary kit??). I'll report back if it works.

You just reminded me to report here that my GEM part number ends with BB, and I successfully enabled cruise control without any problems. So yeah, the DX statement doesn't seem to be true.

I believe that statement is based on what was known based on what has been tested successfully. Civil who wrote the software only has access to a liited number of GEM boards to test on and some have had issues, but the software has come a fair way since the old days!

Bit of an update. Steering wheel is now fitted (and edit - buttons work), but Busseys in Norwich won't do the programming, so a couple of questions. Does anyone else in the Norfolk/East Anglia area have the kit to program the CC? If not does Elmconfig require a laptop to plug the module into the car - as I currently don't have one. Thanks in advance.

Elm config is a programm.Yes you need a laptop.

FORD FOCUS ENABLE CRUISE CONTROL AT PCM:

All done! Just would like to say a big thank you to Tomsfocus for enabling it for me.

Anyone know if a mk3 steering wheel will fit a mk 2 ? thanks. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club