Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

FatLadZ & int0x13, as Igor said, those buttons are designed for the 4 spoke steering wheel. They could be fitted to a 3 spoke wheel, but I'm on the same side with Igor about this, in my opinion it would look too weird (that's only my opinion). As you can see in this photo, the angle of spokes is different on 3 and 4 spoke wheels, so the buttons don't even sit correctly next to the two upper spokes on a 3 spoke steering wheel.

Please bear in mind that if you decide to install those buttons on any 3 spoke or 4 spoke steering wheel, there are two parts (problems) in this process, first you will need to cut away a small part of the steering wheel side wall, and second, you will need to find a material of suitable quality and shape to fit behind the new buttons. Try to find a photo of OEM steering wheel with cruise control with airbag and buttons removed and take a close look at it, you will notice that there are two thick rubber pads behind the cruise control buttons. If you just cut the side wall and fit the buttons, the space immediately behind the buttons will be left empty.

Regarding the Chinese radio control stalk buttons, I have fitted them to my car just as Igor, and they work perfectly. The build quality is great, they used nice but sturdy buttons. I have taken it apart and guess what, the Chinese actually modify an OEM radio control stalk and fit the buttons, so the quality of the actual radio control is OEM. I even find having the button on the radio control stalk convenient, because I like to keep my hands a bit behind the wheel while driving, and I often change stations and volume, so for me, having the CC buttons there is more convenient than if they were on the steering wheel.

When it comes to installing it, it's the easiest option, even easier than simply replacing the wheel. You just plug out your old radio control stalk, plug in the new one, and then you need to connect the two CC wires. When you remove the steering wheel column plastic covers, you need to find the right connector. It is located exactly beneath and behind the steering wheel (on the down side). You will see a straight connector with 9 wires. Disconnect it and connect the two cruise control wires to connector wires 4 and 5 (brown and white). You can connect them either way around, it will work. Then follow the procedure for activating the cruise control. Please notice that since you will probably need to disconnect this connector in order to connect the two CC wires, disconnect the battery first and wait for at least 10 minutes, because that way you will also disconnect the airbag wires.

Here's a photo of the connector (from Focus schematics) with the two CC wires marked in blue:

cruisecontrolconnectorc8.jpg

Hey, i took quite some time to decide between the normal CC buttons and the stalk kit. The things that made me choose the normal buttons:

1)The stalk kit is a lot more expansive than the normal kit (37$ vs 70$)

2)I think that the standard buttons around the wheel are more natural and more convenient to use. I dont find it handy to use the standard radio stalk buttons to ajust radio things so i dont even imagine what it would be using it to setup the cruise control (even though i've read that you've get used to it with some time). Moreover i think it's really important to have the best access to CC buttons for security reason, i mean most of the time you will use it on highway and you have to be careful and focus on your driving.

3)About the issue with the style and fashion of the buttons around the wheel with 3 spokes, i mean it's not a big deal to me. I mean do you think it is ugly like this?

ee280cs-960.jpg

Int0x13, to me personally those buttons look a bit like they don't belong there, but that is just my personal taste. You are right about the oem-like buttons being cheaper though. If you like the looks of it, go ahead. Just do some researching and planning on how you're going to fill that gap behind the buttons.

When it comes to safety, those clutch and brake switches are the most important thing regarding CC. If you end up in any kind of emergency, you're not going to press CC buttons, you will react instinctively just like you never had CC, and pressing any of those two pedals automatically disables the CC.

I've just finished to mount my CC kit from aliexpress on my Focus. And it's working like a charm with my 3 spokes wheel. I will post some pictures soon.

I've just finished to mount my CC kit from aliexpress on my Focus. And it's working like a charm with my 3 spokes wheel. I will post some pictures soon.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. Will be very interested to see yours... encouraging to hear that it works!

Here we go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f7g43nyifsmv7nv/AABGAe1fdFItTpS8Do4xruzba?dl=0

Dan P, you should go for it's working great. I took my time to do it with the help of my father we did it in 2 days. I took the time to let the battery discharge completely to avoid any risk with the airbag.

• Like 1

Great, I'm glad you succeeded at it! Please post a more detailed explanation on how you did it, how you secured the buttons and did you have to fill the space behind them.

Steering wheel installed, all activated with elm, it doesn't work, no noise when doing the button trick from the steering wheel buttons. Any ideas ? does it matter if it's a c-max ? i was sold it off a focus.

Steering wheel installed, all activated with elm, it doesn't work, no noise when doing the button trick from the steering wheel buttons. Any ideas ? does it matter if it's a c-max ? i was sold it off a focus.

AFAIK, they should be the same.

Did you check do you have the wiring needed, from the steering wheel to the PJB? If not, check for presence of the two wires in the steering column connector and the PJB connector.

• Like 1

AFAIK, they should be the same.

Did you check do you have the wiring needed, from the steering wheel to the PJB? If not, check for presence of the two wires in the steering column connector and the PJB connector.

No mate I didn't check, if not can I add them ?

No mate I didn't check, if not can I add them ?

Of course you can, it's easy to do. You would have to remove the stereo and probably the glove compartment. You would need two thin wires and 4 appropriate female wire endings/connectors (the type used in Ford connectors, not sure what they're called).

• Like 1

Of course you can, it's easy to do. You would have to remove the stereo and probably the glove compartment. You would need two thin wires and 4 appropriate female wire endings/connectors (the type used in Ford connectors, not sure what they're called).

Excellent thanks, will have another look at it tonorrow. Cheers.

Found the problem, no wires to the steering column, ho hum. :(

Sorted, fitted the missing wires and it works, thanks for all the help. :)

• Like 2

Hi I'm new here (lost virginity post)

Hi everyone :D

I'm trying to get cruise control on my 2008 Focus ST Facelift.

Has anyone tried the stalk like these to get the cruise working on this model?

Many Thanks In advance

Steering-font-b-Wheel-b-font-font-b-Cont

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/zeshen-Steering-Wheel-Control-Buttons-Audio-Volume-Constant-Speed-Cruise-Control-switch-for-Ford-for-Focus/1904388520.html

I've decided that I'm going to attempt to join the Cruise Control club and have also ordered one of these stalks from AliExpress. Seems the cleanest and simplest solution for the three spoke wheel.

First switch listing is for a 4 spoke steering wheel only.

Second listing is not OEM but a good compromise (saves buying a new wheel/airbag cover).

Before doing anything near an airbag it is essential to disconnect the battery and wait at least 20 minutes before doing anything else.

Stoney, given that in installing this I wouldn't be removing or fiddling with the airbag, is there still the requirement to disconnect the battery?

I now just need to work out how to activate the Cruise Control once I've got it installed...

Shouldn't be a need to disconnect.

As long as no bag wiring is being disturbed and ignition is off you should be fine.

Shouldn't be a need to disconnect.

As long as no bag wiring is being disturbed and ignition is off you should be fine.

Great, thank you.

• Like 1

My question still is .... Has anyone managed to get cruise control on a focus ST Facelift?

• Like 1

Not that I have seen fella

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that the ST never came with CC (?) so the option for CC in the ECU wasn't just turned off, it was absent, can't be sure tho...

• Like 1

Great, I'm glad you succeeded at it! Please post a more detailed explanation on how you did it, how you secured the buttons and did you have to fill the space behind them.

No i didnt have to fill any gap behind the buttons. I've just cut the plastic bands using a cutter. Sorry but i dont have any photo of the holes without the buttons placed.

• Like 1

I'm thoroughly frustrated by this! I have been bashing away relentlessly with ELMConfig for about 4 hours and just can't get it working.

I did a lot of research before I started, so was fairly confident that I knew what I was doing.

I have a modified ELM327 500k with FTDI chip. I installed the drivers and ELMConfig and the runtime pack.

When I started ELMConfig I had to play around with the settings to get it to launch, but eventually I got it to open.

After much persistence I was able to read from the HEC, tick the Cruise Control Configuration box and write it back to the car.

I have had no joy in reading from the GEM.

I managed to get into the PCM once and started to read the firmware. It was very slow (probably would have taken 90 minutes to complete) but about 60 minutes in I got an error message and I had to kill ELMConfig. I then had an engine warning and the car wouldn't start. After removing the key and waiting for a minute thankfully it started again.

On the occasions that I am able to launch ELMConfig I receive the following error:

Correct response from adapter timed.
Received response to request "AT LO":
"
I am incredibly frustrated! I have unistalled and reinstalled drivers to no avail.
Can anyone help please?
  • Like 1

Dan, I'm 95% sure that you're dealing with a faulty adapter. I've been there myself, thought I had a great adapter, until I learned the opposite.

I had the same kind of unpredictable behaviour and also kept getting the AT L0 message. It all went away when I got the right adapter, now everything works effortlessly.

• Like 3

Thanks Milosh, I thought that this may be the case! I have already arranged to borrow another adapter, so I'll know in a few day's time.

• Like 2

Mine went off yesterday, checked the buttons all ok then noticed one of the tyres was a bit soft, blew it up and it's working again, coincidence ?

• Like 1

Mine went off yesterday, checked the buttons all ok then noticed one of the tyres was a bit soft, blew it up and it's working again, coincidence ?

Do you have DDS (tyre Deflation Detection System)? Perhaps DDS realized that your tire is empty and disabled cruise control automatically?... Just guessing...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club