Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Change Noise?

mitch84

Hi

I have a focus titanium 1.6tdci 60 plate that ive owned for just over 2 months , I notice that when I change gear in the lower 1st-2nd gears I get a very mild clunk noise.

I done a google search and it seems a few people have also posted about clunking noise at the 1st and 2nd changes.

Is it a normal thing on the focus , I will have to study it further but it goes away when in the higher gears.

Has anyone else noticed a clunk noise from there focus in lower gears?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Anyone?

When I say clunk I suppose its more of a click noise and does not effect the car, but would be nice to know what it is?

The ABS carries out a self-test at around 20mph, you will here a loud click, that's normal on some Fords.

Hi

Read this elsewhere , I had a feeling it was not a problem and something normal.

cheers

I can’t hear it on my car (2008 1.8 petrol) but that could be down to my poor hearing.

I can’t hear it on my car (2008 1.8 petrol) but that could be down to my poor hearing.

perhaps its because mines a diesel?

Hi

cant get into that link ,it says you must be a paid member to get into this forum.

What was that? :P

If your hearing a clunk/click after first starting the car and pulling away , around 12mph then that is the ABS test , you should only hear that once.

If after driving the car and slowing down after the initial clunk or click and your still hearing it then its something else.

Turn of the engine and then restart the clunk or click will be heard again.

So on a journey you should only be hearing the ABS click once at 12mph.

Is that what you are hearing?

i dont know if this is linked to your issues:

http://www.ffoc.co.u...wtopic&t=257697

this is hat was posted up:

hey guys over past couple of days i have noticed a metallic noise coming from the front of the car when i set off in first or reverse i went down to ford and was told that they knew about the problem its summit to do with the drive shaft going into the hub you have to put lock tight in the hub the mechanic kindly gave me a copy of the work so i thought i would post it up so if anyone has this problem they can do the job at home heres the pictures

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Hi

I think it might be me bringing the clutch up too fast , again its only around the 1st-3rd gears but last night I tried taking my foot of the clutch slower and I could not here the noise , so It could be that , as at times I think I do take my foot of it a bit fast.

I will see If I can here the ABS test thing when I set off for work today.

cheers

• 10 months later...

Im hearing the same noise coming form my 2007 1.6 TDCi, It only seems to happen when you release the clutch after a gear change above 2000 rpm in 1st-3rd. Would this be anything to do with the turbo? As when I do not hit the 1800rpm turbo point it doesn't happen.

More likely to be a clutch thrust bearing than the turbo IMHO... but thats not exactly good news!

Sounds likely a clutch issue, thrust bearing maybe. If its not effecting the car then I'd carry in regardless unless it starts getting worse, or effecting gear changes. Also if being gentle does make it better, treat it like a lady ;-)

Could actually be a lose CV joint also, just found out the hard way my car just stoped after going around a roundabout and would not drive, clutch and gearbox all ok.

lmao, i have the same in our 2008 1.8 tdci, i get what you mean about like a snappy clutch thing... i just put it down to the torq going throu the drive shafts and engaging..... i could be off the mark here tho

where do you get bullitons from, ie if you car needs ecu updating, or work carried out on

If you login to http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=6E6E87A9A18C9B3C6E14DF02F720D8A6.eccvas509 with your registration, it tells you there if there is anything particular that you need to be aware.

Sometimes, the best means is just call up to a dealer and give them the details and see what they say :)

the same dealer that told me i didnt have a easy fuel system on my car????? stood arguing with the bloke for about 10 mins, him saying i have no idea what im on about, and me trying tell him look it up on the pc..... i had to walk/drive away before somat happened lol

Perhaps it's worth calling a different dealer lol

• 1 year later...

Hi

I think it might be me bringing the clutch up too fast , again its only around the 1st-3rd gears but last night I tried taking my foot of the clutch slower and I could not here the noise , so It could be that , as at times I think I do take my foot of it a bit fast.

I will see If I can here the ABS test thing when I set off for work today.

cheers

i have just purchased a focus this weekend and have noticed the exact some thing..

have you had any problems with it ?, is it just a case of adjusting driving style ?

Don't you have to be an independent garage to register and get access to that sort of stuff?? :wacko: