Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux Belt Noise Help

david106

Hi everyone

I have aconnect with the tdci engine in it and its belt is squealling like a pig.

I replaced the belt no change so i replaced the idler pulley that bolts onto the tensioner still no change.

Now when i squirt the belt with wd-40 it stops altogether and then it starts again 5 mins later.

Any advice would be grateful and could it be another pulley or the tensioner its self as the squealling increases when the revs increase

Hi, what mark and size of engine are you talking about, did you fit the right belt, some have serpentine belt tensioned by a auto spring adjuster, and some have a stretch belt.

Hi its a 2008 transit connect 1.8 tdci diesel

it has a auto tensioner and the belt is correct size after 2 attempts by euro car parts first belt was short

I'm not sure if the tensioner itself is knackered but the van is only 3 and half years old

if you have replaced the belt and the guide pulley then i would be looking at changing the tensioner

I'm going to check all the pulleys tomorrow

I did read somewhere about the crankshaft pulley is prone to noise but the van is 2008 and 70k

I have had a look at the service history and its had a new power steering pump fitted

I'm going to check all the pulleys tomorrow

I did read somewhere about the crankshaft pulley is prone to noise but the van is 2008 and 70k

I have had a look at the service history and its had a new power steering pump fitted

Is yours the same as this,, the belt on a 1.8 TDCI Mk2, did you use an m8 bolt to slack of the tensioner. (the bolt fits at the arrow)

post-2425-0-73332600-1327786243_thumb.jp

it looks the same as pic 2 and no i didnt slacken off the tensioner i just put the 15mm spanner on the idler wheel to loosen the belt to replace it.

you need to use the m8 bolt, this is the only way to move the tensioner, and the belt will come off easily, there is no need to undo the idler wheel, forcing the the belt on over the idler wheel will damage the belt and possibly the wheel, you will need a new belt, and useing the m8 bolt makes it a one handed job, and use a genuine belt if you can...

so how do you get the m8 bolt to take the slack on the tensioner do you use the 15mm spanner on the pulley and push down to slaken the belt the put this bolt into a slot ?

I didn't loosen the pulley to change the belt i just put pressure on the pulley by pushing on the spanner to release the belt and slide it off the pulley i hope this makes sense.

It now turns out that the belt i was supplied with is 50mm longer than the belt that should be on there would this cause the belt to squeal because the tensioner cant take all the slack?

there is a small 8mm hole under tensioner were the arrow is pointing in the pic that i posted, just screw it in and the tensioner will slacken, fit belt and take out the bolt, all this is done from under the car. (no need for a 15mm spanner) this should make it more clear..size of bolt 8mm x 25mm long. (M8)

post-2425-0-35799400-1327953669_thumb.jp

cheers will give it a go

If i need to change tensioner is it a big job and do you think it should need changing after 77k and van under 4 years old

No, mine as done 138k... but if you need one, e-bay is the place to look..and it is easy to change.

post-2425-0-60678300-1328027344_thumb.jp this is one that i looked at some time ago, when i did not not know how to adjust the tensioner

Hi mate

your tensioner is different to mine i just had a closer look at yours on eBay and yours has two pulley idlers but mine only has one hence why i couldnt see the hole you were on about.

mine has a 15mm nut on the idler which you just put pressure on to slacken belt which too be honest looks a bit easier than yours

thanks for the effort

:D

sorry David 106, if this is like yours, i under stand why you was useing a 15mm spanner..

post-2425-0-06326900-1328041199_thumb.jp

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club