Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Window Tinting

ukphillad

Alright guys,

I have been thinking about this for a while now, but actually coming to a conclusion that might do it very soon. Talking about window tinting here. I got a Silver MK2 Focus Style, 5 door. Was thinking about getting the back windows fully tinted (barely any visibility!) and then the passenger and driver side up to the legal Irish limit, which I believe is 70% visibility. Just want to find out what you guys think about it, how will it look and all..

Cheers,

Phil

It will look really good, just bear in mind your reversing visibility.

Yes - 70% is your legal minimum for windscreen and front side windows.

I know for a fact that the Garda Síochána and PSNI definitely use Tintmaster tint testing kits and are very strict on the limit.

Cheers Stony,

you even put the Fada in on Siochana ;)

ive been thinking of getting mine done too, and the same idea 70%

but i was thinking of putting 50% in the back and 70% in the front because i had 90% in the back on my last car a toyota starlet and it was very difficult to see out the back window, using the rear view mirror because the light coming through the windscreen was making it brighter around the mirror leaving the reflection in the mirror hard to make out,

as for night driving it was great, because the tint would darken people driving behind you with their full lights on, unless they have HID's which seem to shine through the tint regardless B)

so when you get it done mate, please upload some pictures because im very interested to see the results. ;)

I tinted the rears on my last Focus Estate which was also Silver. I used Limo Black which looked great against the silver paint. Reversing at night was a right pain though, and absolutely no chance where there were no street lights. I fitted a reversing camera and sensors in the end to help.

Cheers Stony,

ha well impressed with that ;) I am definately getting it done, found this company in Dublin that does it, they are called Vision fx or something along those lines. Read a few reviews of them and most other users share the same view that they always get the job done, however at a price. Think tinting for the Focus, 3 windows in the back and 2 in the front comes in at E290. But still at least you will have the peace of mind that you will get it done right.

absolutely no chance where there were no street lights. I fitted a reversing camera and sensors in the end to help.

Hopefully i will be able to get away with it, or just tell the missus to get out and shout ;P

Cheers Stony,

I've done the occasional exchange posting and i had the pleasure of working in the Republic for 4 weeks.

The Garda Síochána are a great force and i learned a lot from them. trink38.gif

I've done the occasional exchange posting and i had the pleasure of working in the Republic for 4 weeks.

The Garda Síochána are a great force and i learned a lot from them. trink38.gif

Sorry to be taking this thread on window tinting off tipic,

but i cant help but vision, your 4 week stay over here being very much like the move ''The Guard'' :D

since you have been over here with them stoney, its well worth a watch mate you will see the funny side of it.

Now back to the topic of tinting. B)

Sorry to be taking this thread on window tinting off tipic,

but i cant help but vision, your 4 week stay over here being very much like the move ''The Guard'' :D

since you have been over here with them stoney, its well worth a watch mate you will see the funny side of it.

Now back to the topic of tinting. B)

Seen film, thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyway - tint - thought about it myself but instead saw this and thought that it may be useful as it's totally removable in winter or night.

http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/shop/focus-2004-c-2729_3040_3045_3046.html

Seen film, thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyway - tint - thought about it myself but instead saw this and thought that it may be useful as it's totally removable in winter or night.

http://www.vanstyle...._3045_3046.html

Yeah the car shades are a cool idea, but I just want to get the tint on and am not planning on taking it off!! :D but great idea nevertheless :P

Yeah the car shades are a cool idea, but I just want to get the tint on and am not planning on taking it off!! :D but great idea nevertheless :P

I think they will be very handy for when the dogs are in the back.

Also it means if anyone gets too close to my car when stopped and they get nosey, they don't see the dogs until they're too close and get a nasty shock when they suddenly see 3 sets of sharp teeth rushing towards them accompanied by loads of barking.

(Stops nosey sods in their tracks)

I had one the other day outside my house looking in my car 6 inches from the window, even had his hand up shading the reflection.

I just happened to be outside and walked up to him and asked what he was doing.

He jumps like a stabbed rat and swears blind he was looking at himself in my mirrors (except they were folded in).

I invited him to depart and engage in self love.

Thieving necky scum.

Well said there Stoney :D Hate when you get those chavs. If it was up to me, I'd batter every single one of them! The cars are our pride and joy, and the feeling is never gonna be the same when you walk up to the car in the morning and find out that your front window has been smashed or CD Player nicked :/

Actually a friend of mine who drives a very unique car, woke up at 3am just to find 3 lads trying to break into his car. When he confronted them outside they stabbed at him with screwdrivers. The chap ended up in hospital and the knackers wrote off the car.

Thought i'd share that story there and just make aware that you should never try to confront those thieves unless you know u gonna win :)

i was also thinking of doing the same thing dark tinits on the back and legal tints on the front, but i didnt know if the cold weather would effect the quality of the tints???

And reversing shouldnt be a problem with the new TWIN cree Q5 reverse lights B)

Well said there Stoney :D Hate when you get those chavs. If it was up to me, I'd batter every single one of them! The cars are our pride and joy, and the feeling is never gonna be the same when you walk up to the car in the morning and find out that your front window has been smashed or CD Player nicked :/

Actually a friend of mine who drives a very unique car, woke up at 3am just to find 3 lads trying to break into his car. When he confronted them outside they stabbed at him with screwdrivers. The chap ended up in hospital and the knackers wrote off the car.

Thought i'd share that story there and just make aware that you should never try to confront those thieves unless you know u gonna win :)

I'd win as i have my baton and cuffs in my go bag in the hall and my warrant card and powers of arrest with me at all times B) and a PAT (patrol arm true) Police dog in her bed beside me. (the other 2 i have are a AES search dog and a former AES search dog, not PAT trained but still likely to remove lumps)

Incidentally, i had cause to talk to a young woman a couple of weeks ago that stupidly left her satnav on display in a car park.

She has a brand new Fiesta and a !Removed! actually pulled out her front corner window and reached in.

Warning to all Fiesta owners - apparently this is easy to do.

I had one the other day outside my house looking in my car 6 inches from the window, even had his hand up shading the reflection.

I just happened to be outside and walked up to him and asked what he was doing.

He jumps like a stabbed rat and swears blind he was looking at himself in my mirrors (except they were folded in).

Thieving necky scum.

Wow, Devon was supposed to be such a quiet, peaceful place to live. How naive me and my wife were........

Regarding tinting - I used to have tinted windows in all my previous cars. Now I'm obviously older and I don't like the look of fully tinted windows any more. In my opinion brighter tinted windows look better, they are more stylish, tasteful and elegant. But what do I know after all :P

By the way - aren't focus windows factory tinted? All my recent cars had factory tinted windows and there was no possibility to additionally tint front windows and keep legally required percentage of visibility. I even asked a friend to apply a piece of brightest tint film and have it checked with police tint testing kit - no way, instead of 70% I got 62% as far as I remember. Different country, but regulations regarding tinting are the same.

Wow, Devon was supposed to be such a quiet, peaceful place to live. How naive me and my wife were........

Regarding tinting - I used to have tinted windows in all my previous cars. Now I'm obviously older and I don't like the look of fully tinted windows any more. In my opinion brighter tinted windows look better, they are more stylish, tasteful and elegant. But what do I know after all :P

By the way - aren't focus windows factory tinted? All my recent cars had factory tinted windows and there was no possibility to additionally tint front windows and keep legally required percentage of visibility. I even asked a friend to apply a piece of brightest tint film and have it checked with police tint testing kit - no way, instead of 70% I got 62% as far as I remember. Different country, but regulations regarding tinting are the same.

Devon is a pretty safe place to live thanks to my co-workers and i.

And yes, the windows are factory tinted to legal levels but tinting regulations apply to the windows that the driver can see within his peripheral view without the use of mirrors (i.e. windscreen and front side windows), not rear / rear side windows.

the only problem to look out for is i think the front side windows have a very small existing tint to reduce glare. bare that in mind when you pick your desired tint, as it could take you past the legal limit!!

And yes, the windows are factory tinted to legal levels but tinting regulations apply to the windows that the driver can see within his peripheral view without the use of mirrors (i.e. windscreen and front side windows), not rear / rear side windows.

Yes, I know that and that is way I did this test - to check if I could tint front side windows.

Anyway, as alkyz89 said it is worth to remember about that fact when tinting windows.

I'd win as i have my baton and cuffs in my go bag in the hall and my warrant card and powers of arrest with me at all times B) and a PAT (patrol arm true) Police dog in her bed beside me. (the other 2 i have are a AES search dog and a former AES search dog, not PAT trained but still likely to remove lumps)

Incidentally, i had cause to talk to a young woman a couple of weeks ago that stupidly left her satnav on display in a car park.

She has a brand new Fiesta and a !Removed! actually pulled out her front corner window and reached in.

Warning to all Fiesta owners - apparently this is easy to do.

Yeah I heard that somewhere as well, apparently the corner windows are very easy to pull out. Obviously some effort and knowledge would be required from the thief, but still doable and something for Fiesta drivers to be aware off.

I always try to put everything away when I park the car in public places and even when parked on the drive in the house. You just can't trust many people these days :/

When it comes to the window tinting, still waiting on Vision to get back to me with the full estimate. Hopefully it will be under 300 quid. Definately gonna do the back windows, not too sure about the fronts. will consult with an expert and then decide.

@Pidu - I think most factory cars come with window tinting, but it's only a slight one. If you want to have the full tint you need to invest in that yourself. My focus surprise surprise, had absolutely no tint at all when it left the factory, so even though it's a fantastic car, will have to "improve the factory work" myself ;)

@Pidu - I think most factory cars come with window tinting, but it's only a slight one. If you want to have the full tint you need to invest in that yourself.

That is understood. I'll probably tint windows in my estate too, like I used to in my previous cars, but 250-300 quid is way too much for me. Probably will wait till I go abroad for holiday again, they charge there equivalent of 80-90 quid for professional tinting of estate car (without front side windows). I'm not in a hurry.

My focus surprise surprise, had absolutely no tint at all when it left the factory.

That is really surprising.

My rear windows were tinted as factory standard but looked odd on a white car so I had fronts done too and look fine !

5591b3d3.jpg

Your Views Welcome !

Does look very nice.

I really do like a well done tint.

Just watch that 30%, most of the time you'll be fine but if involved in a collision a Traffic Officer will check tints and report it to your insurance company.

Personally i don't have a problem with someone with slightly more than 30% (if it's limo black then i wonder what they have to hide and will tug them).

Mate totally agree ! I had same tint on last car and had crash with police involved and no probs ! Even the insurance paid to have window re done as it got smashed ! If it's too dark you will get done but window tint company stated its the most % tint to go to without getting pulled ! Limo black is trash personally !

My rear windows were tinted as factory standard but looked odd on a white car so I had fronts done too and look fine !

Your Views Welcome !

Mate that looks well wicked :D Nice job. Vision are off on their weekend break atm, so will probably hear back from them tommorow, but a few mates of mine had their windows done there and most of them were 300 quid or thereabouts :/

Sure get it done once properly and hopefully won't regret it :)

@Pidu, very surprising indeed. Was going to go back to the dealer and ask them why that is, but gave up on it... :D

Mate that looks well wicked :D Nice job. Vision are off on their weekend break atm, so will probably hear back from them tommorow, but a few mates of mine had their windows done there and most of them were 300 quid or thereabouts :/

Sure get it done once properly and hopefully won't regret it :)

@Pidu, very surprising indeed. Was going to go back to the dealer and ask them why that is, but gave up on it... :DI

I paid £50 for the front two but if I need whole car doing its £180 so pretty cheap,

I paid £50 for the front two but if I need whole car doing its £180 so pretty cheap,

That is cheap enough alright Wickwick, was actually considering going over to the UK and getting the tinting done there and also getting the exhaust system replaced as well, you guys seem to have Powerflow exhaust dealers everywhere and I heard they're doing a smashing job on it. Just need to get funds first, the car set me back quite a bit... :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club