Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Rear Parking Sensors Focus Mk2.5

Preee

That sounds exactly my problem! Cheers for the advice. Will try again in the morning. Any idea which wire you plugged into? Hopefully get these fitted by the weekend :).

As I said in my post in the previous page, I can't quite remember what colour the wire for the reverse light turned out to be in the end.

However, when I pulled away the trim on the right hand side of the boot, there were 5 wires going through the grommet. There were none on the left hand side - the wires on the left hand side when into the light cluster and not the grommet.

The 5 wires on the right hand side were as follows: 2 black wires - earths for the reverse and fog lights, one orange which I couldn't identify, one green and yellow which was the live wire for the for light, and then another wire with two colours on it - for me, this was the reverse light live, which is what you want to tap into for the parking sensors. I'm sorry I can't remember the colour of it, but by elimination, you know it's that one. The Haynes manual says it should be green and orange, but for me, it wasn't that colour either.

It is definitely one of those wires though. I tried the green and yellow one first, but my sensors only worked with the fog light on, so I took it off that wire, taped it with some electrical tape, and tried the other two-coloured wire, and hey presto, it worked.

Unfortunately you still need to use the Earth point on the LEFT hand side of the boot beneath the trim (the same one as in Preee's guide). But my wires for the sensor were long enough to use the Earth on the left hand side and the live wire for the reverse light on the right hand side. I just housed the buzzer beneath the trim at the mouth of the boot space.

However, you could feasibly just tap into the live wire JUST as it comes out of the reverse light behind the bumper. Up to you really.

Mine is also a Ghia 1.6 from 2006, so chances are we have some sort of unique set up for some reason.

As I said in my post in the previous page, I can't quite remember what colour the wire for the reverse light turned out to be in the end.

However, when I pulled away the trim on the right hand side of the boot, there were 5 wires going through the grommet. There were none on the left hand side - the wires on the left hand side when into the light cluster and not the grommet.

The 5 wires on the right hand side were as follows: 2 black wires - earths for the reverse and fog lights, one orange which I couldn't identify, one green and yellow which was the live wire for the for light, and then another wire with two colours on it - for me, this was the reverse light live, which is what you want to tap into for the parking sensors. I'm sorry I can't remember the colour of it, but by elimination, you know it's that one. The Haynes manual says it should be green and orange, but for me, it wasn't that colour either.

It is definitely one of those wires though. I tried the green and yellow one first, but my sensors only worked with the fog light on, so I took it off that wire, taped it with some electrical tape, and tried the other two-coloured wire, and hey presto, it worked.

I have more than that!? I also have two wires that ended in plugs, no idea about those. I know one is for an additional 12v power socket.

I have a green/black that seems the most likely. All the other two-colours are white and something.

The annoying thing is my wires are joined to about an inch before they are bare, so it'll be hard to have the earth on the left... I'll have to split the insulation a lot. Even them, they might not be long enough :(.

And I could tap into the wire direct at the light, but there's not a lot of space to move under there, so I'd rather not if I can get around it.

I have more than that!? I also have two wires that ended in plugs, no idea about those. I know one is for an additional 12v power socket.

I have a green/black that seems the most likely. All the other two-colours are white and something.

The annoying thing is my wires are joined to about an inch before they are bare, so it'll be hard to have the earth on the left... I'll have to split the insulation a lot. Even them, they might not be long enough :(.

And I could tap into the wire direct at the light, but there's not a lot of space to move under there, so I'd rather not if I can get around it.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "joined to about an inch before they are bare". For me all the wires were wrapped together in black electrical tape, but if you cut through that, then all the wires come apart. I just cut it all off, bared the wire where I needed it to be bared, soldered the parking sensor wire on (no scotch clips for me!), then insulated the join and wrapped the whole lot back up in fresh black electrical tape.

I wouldn't want to be soldering or otherwire baring wires under the bumper, as any wires you bare under there will be more prone to corrosion and damage, so I would do your utmost to avoid having to do that.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "joined to about an inch before they are bare". For me all the wires were wrapped together in black electrical tape, but if you cut through that, then all the wires come apart. I just cut it all off, bared the wire where I needed it to be bared, soldered the parking sensor wire on (no scotch clips for me!), then insulated the join and wrapped the whole lot back up in fresh black electrical tape.

I wouldn't want to be soldering or otherwire baring wires under the bumper, as any wires you bare under there will be more prone to corrosion and damage, so I would do your utmost to avoid having to do that.

No, what I meant was the two wires that go between the reversing light/ground and the parking sensor box were joined together, it splits into two desperate wires about an inch before the end. I.e its like a y-shape - one end to the box, one to positive, one to negative. Its not long enough.

And I know that its not ideal. I'll only resort to that if I really have to.

No, what I meant was the two wires that go between the reversing light/ground and the parking sensor box were joined together, it splits into two desperate wires about an inch before the end. I.e its like a y-shape - one end to the box, one to positive, one to negative. Its not long enough.

And I know that its not ideal. I'll only resort to that if I really have to.

Ah, that's a pain then. The wires I had peeled apart quite easily and you could send them off in different directions.

I'm no expert on earth points - there might well be one on the right side of the car near the live wire... but you'll have to look into that!

Well, I'm gonna try and splice into the earth wire for the reversing light and see if that works. Wish me luck!

Got it sorted! I used the reverse light ground as my ground too, which obviously was on the right. It was the green with black striped wire on mine which was the live. I wired it up before drilling the holes, so that if I had trouble fitting (which I did!) I wasn't left with holes in my bumper. So I've just gotta drill the holes and push the sensors home, then put the trim back. Glad my sensors are all sorted, but I do wonder how many other cars are like mine and Garrie's though.

Thanks to all for your help!

• 1 month later...

I'm after fitting some of these myself, but not with the wireless display, rather the speaker.

Am I safe to assume that the speaker is powered by the control box that it plugs into, or is extra juice required from another source?

Set in question: eBay

• 2 weeks later...

It was mentioned earlier that you can get positioning from the black trim on a Mk2.

Exactly how do you remove this trim please

It was mentioned earlier that you can get positioning from the black trim on a Mk2.

Exactly how do you remove this trim please

It just pops off... don't be scared to give it a good pull. Start at the far side of one and try to get your fingers underneath the edge - use a flathead screwdriver or something if you must (although be extra careful with surrounding paintwork!). Then just give it a tug and work your way around the edge.

It's held in by multiple small clips which should just pop off with a bit of a tug, and clip back in again when you give them a push.

Back again. Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the sensors on the black trim and adjust them to work with the angle spacers supplied in some kits'

Back again. Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the sensors on the black trim and adjust them to work with the angle spacers supplied in some kits'

I wouldn't think so. The angle spacers are very narrow and are only really useful for very slight adjustments, whereas the geometry of the trim piece is quite curved iirc.

Imo it looks a lot better on the actual bumper - I've seen a few fords with them attached at the trim piece (the OEM ones) and they look a bit out of place and are very noticeable.. whereas if they're on the bumper and well colour-matched, they blend in really nice.

Shouldn't be too difficult to put them into the bumper anyway. Take the trim off, line up a ruler and put a point on the bumper. Drill through it, insert, and then get under the car and hook everything up.

My kit arrived today but sensors wrong colour so can't do anything until that's sorted.

However, noted that the sensor wires are not identified in any way, but as it is a buzzer-only kit as far as I can see the order in which they are connected makes no difference.

I expect I will label them anyway and connect in ABCD order

I'm after fitting some of these myself, but not with the wireless display, rather the speaker.

Am I safe to assume that the speaker is powered by the control box that it plugs into, or is extra juice required from another source?

Set in question: eBay

The parking sensors take power from the reversing light wires. Any power needed will be taken through here when you put it into reverse.

And StanH, if you can get two friends, you can do what I did to check: I dropped the back seats, me and my brother climbed in and held the sensors where they needed to go and my dad walked in front to check the positioning was correct. Only then did we drill.

Also noticed you have a 2006 Ghia like GSM and me. We both found our car's differed from Preee's car in the guide. Would you mind posting if yours does to please? Would be interesting to find out why this occurs.

Any more advice needed, just post :-).

Yeah, thanks for that. I fitted some about two weeks ago now following the excellent guide from Pree. They look like they were factory fitted and the colour match is excellent.

I'll post some pics up when it stop raining.

minnis

Having a bit of trouble with suppliers but they assure me they are on the way.

Will let you know exactly what I find when I fit

Stan

As promised, pictures of mine.

Sweet mate they look good on your blue body colour too, you must be very pleased

I've gotta purchase a set of these soon myself.

Well, the replacement sensors arrived yesterday - so-called Tonic Blue was a terrible match so repainted them and left them overnight.

Had already marked out the positions on the bumper - for anyone interested mine are 40.5 - 49.0- 40.5 cms apart centred on the centre of the number plate and 3cms down as per Stoney's earlier post - so used the cutter with no problem.

As per earlier other posts, the reverse lead comes up on the right hand side on the 2006 Ghia and the positive reverse supply is confirmed as a black/green lead.

Used scotchlocks to connect to the black/green and one of the black leads and nothing worked. This is the first time I have used scotchlocks and discovered that the ones I had used did not engage properly with the size of wire so I cut out and soldered.

I had been dreading reassembling but it all went smoothly, so for well under £20 I now have reversing sensors and an almost full can of paint.

BTW - the block under the bumper referred to earlier is a multiway plug and socket.

I wonder if all 2006 Ghias are the same with the passenger fuse board different to the owners manual etc.- I have an idea that they were assembled in Spain

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to be a pain, but with xmas on the way im looking for some stocking fillers and reverse parking sensors seem ideal...

now ive got the mk2.5 in silver and wanted to know which sensors would be best as i have seen about 5 different links on this topic...

im looking for the reverse sensors, buzzer only.

ive seen a set for like £12 and then a set for £48 claiming to match the ford moondust colour.

has anyone purchased the cheaper set for a silver ford and do they match well??

cheers for your help!!

I got mine from HERE. Mine are ocean blue and are a very good match. It says silver on the listing. If they weren't a good match, you could always get a spray paint for your car and just spray them?

• 1 month later...

quick question guys, I am fitting reverse sensors but the instructions say red to twin coloured wire and the black to the other wire but the how to guide says black wire to earth point can you guys just confirm were im ment to put them ???? many thanks

quick question guys, I am fitting reverse sensors but the instructions say red to twin coloured wire and the black to the other wire but the how to guide says black wire to earth point can you guys just confirm were im ment to put them ???? many thanks

Red should go to the live wire for the reverse lights - which is a twin-coloured wire.

Black should go to any Earth point - although the Earth wire for the reverse lights is probably most convenient. This will be a black wire. But it really doesn't matter which Earth point you choose. You can wire to an Earth point on the car, you can splice it into the Earth for the reverse lights, etc. Doesn't make a difference.